New Lucas synthetic oil at Pep Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen this oil last night at pep boys. $7.99 a quart. Looks like they are phasing out RP and replacing the shelf space with this oil. What a shame.
frown.gif

Lucas has paid a ton of money to have their name on the new football stadium in Indianapolis.
I'm thinking they're more about marketing than product.
JMHO.

I bought a case of the 5/30 (six quarts) about a month ago. Haven't used it in anything, yet.

On the bottle it claims to meet about every spec, but there is nothing to indicate it has been licensed by API.

It feels thick, typical for Lucas ....

"Lucas has paid a ton of money to have their name on the new football stadium in Indianapolis.
JMHO".

If you denigrate a company for marketing, that wipes out many a company. It is fashionable to kick around some companies on this board. That's OK.

In the meantime some of those same companies continue to grow and grow..all on the wallets and fools? LOLOL

quote:

Originally posted by rapid47:
Win: does it have the API service donut on the back and starburst on the front?

No. IIRC, the bottles have the meet or exceeds language, and then list specs. Hope I didn't pay $8/quart for group III, lol.

nascarnation
Member # 3921

posted 31 August, 2006 00:37
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lucas has paid a ton of money to have their name on the new football stadium in Indianapolis.
JMHO.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 376 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2004 | IP: Logged |

offtopic.gif
I will miss the old hoosier dome. But it's time for that old place to go.

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
If you denigrate a company for marketing, that wipes out many a company. It is fashionable to kick around some companies on this board. That's OK.

In the meantime some of those same companies continue to grow and grow..all on the wallets and fools? LOLOL

It's fashionable to kick around Lucas b/c they charge $8-9 for a bottle of goo that seems to do nothing except thicken oil.
dunno.gif

My point is there is a REASON people on this board have a low opinion of Lucas products....

They're taking a group I byproduct and claiming it's some high-tech miracle product...

Go ahead, compare it to ARX, I know it's coming...

Last time I looked at their Synthetic wich was many years ago it was GIII hydro craked base stock. Unless they are useing a large portion of G-IV or V base stock now I do not think it is worth the money!!!

Well, their steering stop leak worked...

Why should I care if they buy the naming rights to a stadium?

Marketing is how businesses get their names out....you know, to make money. Maybe you've seen some oil product logos slapped on the sides of race cars? Maybe?

Nobody is putting a gun onto your head to buy Lucas? Then get Mobilwe-only-make-300,000million-dollars-in-one-year1 Oil,Penzzoil.

Hey Elf Solara is even more expensive.So what's your point?

Checked out the new bottles...

They list:

Exceeds ALL American AND European OEM specifications for
API SM/SL/SJ/CF
ACEA A3-98
B3-98
B4-98
VW 500/502/503/505/506
DaimlerChrysler 229.1
BMW Longlife Oil

Uh oh.....We need a VOA! Could Lucas have Redline or Royal Purple in its sights???

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
Checked out the new bottles...

They list:

Exceeds ALL American AND European OEM specifications for
API SM/SL/SJ/CF
ACEA A3-98
B3-98
B4-98
VW 500/502/503/505/506
DaimlerChrysler 229.1
BMW Longlife Oil

$8 a qt. That is some kinda high dollar stuff. Using 7 qts per oil change let's see that would be $56 just for the oil. Right now I am using $1 a qt. 5-30 sl synthetic purchased on close out, running a 3 month or 3000 mile OCI. Now if I used Lucas and doubled or even tripled my OCI to 9 months or 9000 miles it would still cost me way more than twice what I am paying now.

Presently
7qts (qts used per OCI) X $1(cost of oil) X 3(# of OCI in 9k miles)= $21

Lucas
7qts X $8 = $56

Way to rich for me. Not knocking Lucas products. I use the fuel conditioner, buying it by the gallon jug, for $21 ea. If you buy it in the little 6oz. bottles they cost $3 ea.

I don't know if the stuff really does what it is suppose to do, but I figure it's like giving a dead man an enema. It might not help but it for dang sure ain't gonna hurt nothing.

quote:

Originally posted by twentynine:
I use the fuel conditioner, buying it by the gallon jug, for $21 ea. If you buy it in the little 6oz. bottles they cost $3 ea.

Where do you buy it by the gallon? I have been looking for a bigger bottle of the stuff because i use it as well. That sure would beat buying the little bottle for $3 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back