New Kia Rio or Hyundai Accent??

Status
Not open for further replies.
"At the end of August 2005, Hyundai announced it would recall 36,000 2006 Sonatas because the front seat belts could interfere with the seat back controls and could cause unexpected release of the front seat back recliner, potentially resulting in passenger injuries. Okay, so you fasten your seat belt and your seat back can collapse? How's that for engineering excellence? Think that's bad? Just take a look at model year 2004.
For its 2004 model year vehicles, Hyundai has sent its dealers at least 50 repair bulletins (called “Technical Service Bulletins"), telling Hyundai dealers how to try to fix problems in all models and types of 2004 Hyundai’s, including the Sante Fe, Elantra, Tiburon, and others. You might have a lemon Hyundai on your hands.
On the average, that’s one repair bulletin every single week, 52 weeks a year. And these numbers don’t include Safety Recalls or any ongoing federal investigations for safety defects. It’s no wonder some people think they’ve got a lemon Hyundai."

"I own a 2000 Elantra. We have taken faithful care of the car, oil changes every 4,000 or less and I check all fluids at least once each month, however the transmission developed a noise at 43,000 miles. Classic Hyundai in Turnersville NJ said that Hyundai transmissions cannot be serviced, they MUST be replaced. We had the oil changed by Hyundai at 26,800 miles, but the Service Manager refused to honor the warranty because the Trans. fluid was not "inspected" at 30,000 miles"

"2000 Hyundai Sonata
My car has been in the shop more times in the last 18 months than i can count. I took it in for a 30K mile tune up at 28K miles because there were so many problems i just couldn't wait. I am on my third transmission (3rd times a charm, right?) and have had the airbag warning light on in the car so often that it seemed foreign to be driving without it tonight"

"1999 Hyundai Accent GL
This car has been in the shop three times since it was purchased in July of 2000. The problem has ALWAYS been the Pulse Generators to the transmission, which are defective. Hyundai replaced these twice already, but this time they will not honor their 10 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty because they say "Lack of maintenance records." The district manager for Hyundai Service in the Houston area is the one who made this decision, and Hyundai America will not overturn this decision. We have maintenance records for this car and the transmission fluid was changed with a 70,000 mile dependable Name-Brand transmission fluid. One of their bases for not fixing the car is because the transmission fluid was not changed every 30,000 mile as RECOMMENDED. This point is moot because 1) The parts are defective from the factory and 2) changing the transmission fluid has NOTHING to do with the parts that keep going out!
Dean Robinson
The warranty sucks, dealership will not fix problem that was found 2 weeks after purchase in 1999. Dealership waits till last to fix cars from Hyundai, well known amongst Hyundai owners."

"I am in the process of suing the Hyundai Corporation for selling me a lemon. I bought my car in July 2001,went in shop for squeaky belt sound in December 2001 and I've had it in the shop seven times since then, for the same problem. They have replaced serpentine belt twice, pulley, air condition belt, .... and still the problem exists and now the car is leaking oil!"

"2000 Hyundai Accent GL Sedan
I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent GL. Recently while driving it, and releasing the gas, the RPMs shoot down, as if I am driving a manual transmission, and downshifting. Wouldn't be a big deal if the car wasn't an automatic. When this occurred, the brakes would be very difficult to depress, as well as a burning smell from coming from the engine. This happens after the car has been running for 5 minutes. I brought it to the Hyundai dealership, they called
back 2 hrs later saying that they could not emulate the problem. I insisted there was a problem, so they apparently took it back out, and could still not find anything wrong. (They said they had taken it out three times, I don't believe them.) $75 and a waste of a day later, I drive the thing 15 mins to find out that nothing had been done to the car, if anything the problem was worse, because apparently they had reset some timing aspect of the transmission. The 10yr/100K mile warranty is useless, as Hyundais do not reach either. The car has 29K miles on it, and I would be surprised if it made it to 60K."

"2001 Hyundai Elantra
My car is a lemon it has been back to the dealer 10 times and is going back for the 11th..there is an electrical problem that wont go away and my tranny has problems I am on my second set of brakes and the car is not even 2 years old"

"1992 Hyundai-Scoupe
Well you can make it to where you need to be, but chances are you won't make it back. The clear coat is peeling, so now when you wash the car the blue paint is coming off too. Oh and there's no a/c, and no radio."

"2002 Hyundai Accent GS
I purchased my car three months ago with only 7 miles on it to this day it has just under 3500, from 1000 miles it started rattling so I took it in, never fixed it they 'could not hear any rattle' then at 1500 it started starting rough cold/idling rough. It's been in regularly. I'm taking it in again Monday morning, because after saying that the rough start was fixed, it now starts/idles rough with an engine knock. Oregon Lemon Law requires you to take it in 4 times and I have...but they decided to 'keep it open' on the last paperwork, so I only have the paperwork for three"

"Hyundai 2000 Accent GS
I bought in 2002, in March I brought it back for a cracked front exhaust which cost $192.00, I then brought is back a number of times to complain about noise in the breaks, and oil burning in the engine. These were never logged by Hyundai because the car was never looked at by service people at any of these times. I also brought it back to have the stereo replaced because the one which was in the car was not working. I then brought it back within a few months because the car was acting up in rainy weather, sputtering and stalling. I was told by a Hyundai salesman that it was a common issue with the stock spark plug wires on the car and there was nothing that could be done unless I wanted to buy new wires myself. None of these issues were logged by the dealer or even addressed.
Then in October I brought it back to the dealer to have it looked at for shifting issues, because the car would rev really high and not automatically shift. They test drove it and said they could see anything wrong. I checked Hyundai service bulletins and found 5 issues related to my issues with the car. The Shifting issue is a well known issue with my model of car. I then mentioned the oil issue again and was told again there was nothing wrong. Another problem I mentioned to them was that the gas tank release was rusted shut and required a significant amount of effort to pull open, this was validated by a staff member at the dealer but nothing was done. This issue like all others was apparent from the date of purchase. Brought it back again October 28th for the stalling and sputtering in the rain and was told it was the coil, spark plugs and wires. (I was required to replaced the plugs and wires myself, which I did at another garage. This garage also mentioned that the coil was fine and did not require replacement.) In December, I go back again because the breaks are making screeching noises when the breaks are pressed, and there is a pungent smell of oil coming through the vents. This being the 4th time I've mentioned break issues to them an the 3rd time I've mentioned the oil. They tell me the wheel cylinder was leaking and the oil issue was not addressed. None of the issues above are covered under the warranty and will cost me big money to have fixed. The break cylinder needed to be replaced (an issue which I had mentioned to the dealer from day one), with this I was also required to purchase a repair kit so they could remove a broken wheel nut to get to the cylinder. A kit which they did not have therefore I had to buy. By this time I have only had this car for 12 months. Including all the cost of repairs to my purchased car, I was also required to pay major labor fees every time I required service to the automobile. I finally convinced the dealer that my oil issue was real after 9 months of them putting oil into the car and letting it disappear and then refilling it and so on. This 9 months was what I consider an attempt to bring my car closer to its 100,000K warranty end. I bought the car at 60,000K and by the time they were finished "testing" the oil issue my car was at 94,000K I was then told to bring it back at 96,000 to have the engine rebuilt and the issue fixed. This was so I would not have to pay for labor because it was a warrentied service check, but I would have to pay for the parts required. I brought the car back at approximately 96,000K and had them complete the repairs, I also mentioned that I wanted the Hand break (which I surprisingly found out was not working) and the gas tank release fixed at this time because these should have been fixed long ago and should not have cost me anything to have done."

When I need something at the dealer, I pick up the phone and call a discount parts dealer and save 25% of what the idiots at the local dealer would charge to get me the wrong part 4 days late. The discount parts dealer even offers next-day shipping for about what UPS ground costs (through DHL).

Regarding TSBs, some manufacturers send out lots of TSBs which have *nothing* to do with any problem the vehicle has. Many are informational, covering new repair procedures not yet in the service manual, information about coolant, oil, and transmission fluid recommandations, cleaning procedures, etc.

I would never simply count up the number of TSBs that have been issued for a vehicle and try to determine anything about it's reliability from that.

quote:

HMMMmmmm !! With the preponderance of very favorable comments made on this thread and several others, added to similar responses I got from owners I've come into contact with, I think I'm going to take a look at these cars.

Yes, it sounds like they must be doing something right. I've said before that Hyundai doesn't deserve to exist in North America and I still mean it; I mean, who actually bought these things after the early years indicated they absolutely do not know how to make cars? I'm glad they're still around though if they're making quality products now. More competition is always good! I still need to hear from some people with 200,000+ miles on Hyundais before I'm really interested though.

I've only known one person that has owned a recent-model Hyundai, and it was a 2000 Tiburon. She said she had no problems with it during four years of ownership. She eventually bought an Echo hatch though because she felt she was getting too old to be driving around in a car with a ridiculous spoiler.

Come on Audi Junkie,

Do you really want people pulling up Audi recalls and quotes about Audi engine, suspension and electronics issues? Maybe we should throw in VW too...

Hyundai builds fine vehicles that exceed the performance and reliability of most vehicles at that price point. We're talking $11-14k, not $30k; the expectations on quality and performance are lower.

As for the Audi's...(from Consumer Reports):

A4
Engine = Poor rating, 1998-2003
Drive System = Poor rating, 1998-2001
Used Car Verdict = Fair, 1998-2001 (poor 2002)

In general, more of the infamous "black dots" than "red dots" in the ratings.

A6

Engine = Poor rating, 1998-2002
Drive System = Poor rating, 1998-2000
Suspension = Poor rating, 1998-2001
Power Equipment = Fair to Poor, 1998-Present
Used Car Verdict = Fair to Poor, 1998-Present

In general, far more full black dots than reds.

Considering the cars mentioned are no where near the price of the A4 & A6, maybe it's not a fair comparison. But then again, looking at Hyundai's ratings, maybe owners of cheap Audi's may not want to compare their vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
...Classic Hyundai in Turnersville NJ said that Hyundai transmissions cannot be serviced, they MUST be replaced. We had the oil changed by Hyundai at 26,800 miles, but the Service Manager refused to honor the warranty because the Trans. fluid was not "inspected" at 30,000 miles...

Obviously if that owner has a dated and mileage-indicated Hyundai dealership receipt for SP-III ATF change performed at 26,800 miles, he has a legitiamate case to bring before Hyundai USA, BBB Autoline, or small claims court for proper resolution. Unfortunately, Hyundai is at least as apt to suffer poor dealership service representation as any other car make - perhaps more so as a legacy of Hyundai's having initially been carried as a sideline. There does seem to be a trend towards Hyundai being represented as a primary brand now, but old habbits die hard with regard to quality of service. The statement that Hyundai automatic transmissions are not servicible is just plain WRONG. Hyundai issued a TSB over three years ago that under NO circumstances were DEALERSHIP personnel to involve themselves in "deep" automatic transmission work any longer due to what the company felt was an unacceptable rate of repeat warranty claims on units which dealership techs had rebuilt. A failed automatic trannie was henceforth to be exchanged out with a Hyundai-rebuilt unit and the core forwarded in the rebuilt unit's shipping container, ATF undrained, to Hyundai's own AT rebuild facility for monitored QC at every step of the rebuild process, as well as certainty that the latest recommended procedures and upgraded parts are used.

By the way, Audi Junkie, would you kindly provide the evidence to support your implication that Hyundai issues more TSBs than other manufacturers average? In the same vein, perhaps VW-Audi needs to issue more TSBs than it already does, yes? But, we're in agreement on one key point - Hyundais aren't in the same reliability class as pricey European sport sedans. (Thankfully!
wink.gif
)

[ December 21, 2005, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

I have a Hyundai Getz 1.3 manual. It is the finest small car I have ever owned, well finished, very economical to run, cheap servicing, easy to work on and from what I can tell well built and I am sure will last a long time. Done 4600 miles with no bother, no rattles or faults. Oil and filter changed at 500, 2000 miles and due for another change now. I can highly recommend this car.
Roger

quote:

Anyways.. its not the saem anymore.. I want the Daewoo badging.

Korean Redneck, If you go out and buy yourself a Suzuki Forenza, the nice people at 360 Dynamics would be happy to supply you with the original Daewoo grille and emblems at a reasonable price so you can re-re-badge it yourself.

The Korean car bashers can rant all they want while we Korean car owners quietly enjoy our nicely economical and reliable cars.

For the price of a Kia or Hyundai you can buy an American made Chevy Cobalt. The Ecotec engine has proven itself. A transmission shop mechanic told me several years ago that a GM front wheel drive automatic tranny is the best he has worked on and doesn't see many at his shop. FWIW a co-worker has a 2000 Kia and the auto trans went bad at around 80-100,000 miles (can't remember exact mileage). It was used for highway only driving between Richmond and VA Beach, VA.

The Cobalt doesn't exactly have a stellar reliability record. And, my Korean Suzuki has the bullet-proof cast iron version of the GM E-Tech engine and a ZF automatic transmission . . . the same brand used by BMW . . . so there . . . now buy one.

Yes, the Forenzas have had a higher than average number build defects, about 1.4 per vehicle according to JD Power. Mine has been no exception. Fortunately the issues tend to be minor and easily corrected. I am still very convinced of the long term durability of the model.

So I could have gotten a Cobalt (which was not available yet when I got my car) with A/C, Power windows, Power locks, Cruise, Tilt, Leather, Sunroof, ABS/Traction control, 4 airbags, CD/MP3 player, Auto, and 100,000 mile/10 year bumper to bumper and 5 yr no mileage roadside assistance for less than $15,000 including TT&L?
Don't think so.
The 2.0 in the Elantra is a very reliable motor. Yes the auto trannies are a sore spot, but I am hoping with regular mantanance (along with an oil cooler and inline filter) the tranny gives me no problems. And if it does, I have the 100k warranty on it.
I bought a Hyundai knowing what I was getting, an inexpensive vehicle that was to drive me to and from work that gets decent mileage. I traded a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer for it. Is Hyundai the best vehicle I have ever had, in some yes, in others no. Is suits my needs for now and I am happy with my purchase, and that is all that matters to me.

I WANTED to buy a small American car, but hey, I can't even sit up straight in a Cobalt, Focus, or Neon. I'm not THAT big. Do these American makers think everybody is under 6 feet tall?

quote:

I have a Hyundai Getz 1.3 manual. It is the finest small car I have ever owned

lol.gif

Please produce some Honda and Toyota owners trading-in for Hundais!!!

While we wait...

Edmunds:

Overview

Audi's A4 is sleek, sophisticated, speedy and has won praise from the worldwide automotive media. Small and safe, the A4 has scored well in government crash testing. For U.S. buyers, this translates into a competent alternative to the BMW 3 Series, the Acura TL and the Volvo S40/V40, among others. With prices starting near $24,000, the A4 is one of the best entry-luxury sedans on the market.

JD Powers:

Initial Quality Ratings (0-90 days) definition
Mechanical Quality 5 / 5
Body & Interior Quality 3 / 5
Feature and Accessory Quality 3 / 5
Performance 5 / 5
Creature Comforts 5 / 5
Style 5 / 5
Midterm Reliability Ratings (1-3 years) definition
Mechanical Reliability 3 / 5
Body & Interior Reliability 3 / 5
Feature and Accessory Reliability 2 / 5
Long Term Dependability Ratings (4-5 years) definition
Mechanical Dependability 3 / 5
Body & Interior Dependability 5 / 5
shocked.gif

Feature and Accessory Dependability 3 / 5

Car and Driver magazine has just presented the 2006 A3 2.0T its 2006 “10Best” award, winning the “Best Sport Compact” category

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=33&article_id=10354

Audi Awarded Two of Ward's 10 Best Engines for 2006

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_w...x.htm

"For the price of that Audi, I can buy Forenza, and a spare Forenza."

...but you have to DRIVE it too!
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back