New Kia Rio or Hyundai Accent??

Status
Not open for further replies.
norseman, I must be awfully lucky with my '03 Sonata base model GL. I've had no expenses other than gas, oil, and filters (oh, and a gallon of a cheap DEX-COOL clone a year ago for the regularly scheduled coolant flush and changeout). That horrible 2.7L DOHC V6 motor only delivers 23+/- mpg around town and 32+ mpg on the highway at 75 mph. The abominable expense for fuel, alone, is driving me to drink! My only warranty claim was for a defective domelight switch. But thanks for the heads-up about Hyundai's dispicable reliability problems that the company intentionally designed in to assure buyer entrapment - I promise I'll contact you in three more years for your learned recommendation when I buy my next new car - even though I'll still have four more years of Hyundai's no additional cost extended powertrain warranty left. (Boy, I bet the company's suckin' the big weanie for that stupid marketing decision! Serves 'em right!). Too bad none of the other morons who bought '02 - '04 Hyundais haven't been equally lucky, huh? By the way, have you ever owned a Hyundai of any model year? (No particular reason for asking - just curious, since it's obvious you know your way around Hyundai's recent pervasive problem areas even though Consumer Reports' long-term testing and owner surveys indicate that publication doesn't have clue number one.
tongue.gif
)

[ December 19, 2005, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

HMMMmmmm !! With the preponderance of very favorable comments made on this thread and several others, added to similar responses I got from owners I've come into contact with, I think I'm going to take a look at these cars.

It's normal for several to be negative, but with overwhelming responses being so positive I'm going to to drive several of these models and see how I like the way they handle.

Thanks, guys.

Hmmm.. I had a 1998 Hyundai Accent(which is now my sisters) with over 100,000 miles.

I currently drive a 1999 Hyundai Tiburon FX with little over 100,000 miles and I love it to death.

I still miss my Daewoo though.... I used to own a 2000 Daewoo Lanos.. I loved it very much.

quote:

JD POWERS, 2002 Hundai ELANTRA
Book Value $4500

Initial Quality Ratings (0-90 days)
Mechanical Quality 3 / 5
Body & Interior Quality 2 / 5
Feature and Accessory Quality 3 / 5
Performance 2 / 5
Creature Comforts 3 / 5
Style 2 / 5
Long Term Dependability Ratings (4-5 years) definition
Mechanical Dependability 3 / 5
Body & Interior Dependability 3 / 5
Feature and Accessory Dependability 3 / 5

for 2001:

Long Term Dependability Ratings (4-5 years) definition
Mechanical Dependability 2 / 5
Body & Interior Dependability 2 / 5
Feature and Accessory Dependability 3 / 5

"Though it likely won't match the refinement or attention to detail found in segment leaders like the Honda Civic and Ford Focus, the savings to be found up front will certainly sway buyers for whom every penny spent up front counts."

"In September 2002, Hyundai announced that it had misstated the horsepower ratings for all of the models in its lineup -- the Elantra is now rated at 135 hp, rather than 140"

I think a person's opinion of the Hundai depends on what their last car was. Is a new Hundai better then some other cars sold in the USA over the last 20 years? I guess.
dunno.gif

A year ago they ran a sale on Rios for 6 or 7 grand new. I'd buy one for that price if they had that sale again. As long as they continue to sell them cheaper than other makes I think they are a good buy. I wouldn't buy one over a Corolla if the price was the same between the 2.

As far as I'm concerned, with that warranty and at that price you can't go wrong. Every make has the occasional problem. I'd rather have a Kia w/ their warranty, then be on my own after 36k on a GM car.

What was it? $10K in 2002?

Drive to work and back for $150 +gas+maint/month....in a "new" car and not worry about your high miler dieing mid winter. Not that bad, I guess.

quote:

I still miss my Daewoo though.... I used to own a 2000 Daewoo Lanos.. I loved it very much.

For those who still want one, it's available again as a Chevrolet Aveo. The price is right too.

LOL, some dealers were giving away free Aveos with the purchase of a Suburban when they first came out. I pass a yellow Aveo hatch on the way to work. Seems okayish. I'd drive it.

And 'bout Hyundais, I'd still buy one based off all the recs. I've gotten. Most folks I kno with them seem to love them. Not car people of course, but...

quote:

The Aveo is a Daewoo? Does it get the same warranty?

Well technically it's a GM-Daewoo, since GM (and Suzuki) took control in 2002. The Aveo is a rebadged GM-Daewoo (GM-DAT) Kalos (Lanos replacement) sold with a Chevrolet 3/36 warranty.

The Suzuki Forenza and Reno are re-badged GM-Daewoo Lacetti (Nubira III) models sold with a 3/36 bumper to bumper and 7/100 power train warranty.

The Suzuki Verona is a re-badged GM-Daewoo Magnus (Leganza replacement) with the same warranty as the Forenza.

GM has pretty much dropped the Daewoo brand because of all the former Daewoo company's financial scandals. It has become GM's base of operations in Asia.

In Canada, the Lacetti is sold as a Chevrolet Optra. In Europe it is a Chevrolet Lacetti. In Australia it is a Holden Viva. In China it is a Buick Excelle. Confused yet? Since GM took over Daewoo Motors, the quality and worldwide sales have gone way up (over 900,000 cars sold in 2004.)

[ December 19, 2005, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: BigAl ]

Well my mother has good luck with a 1997 Hyundai Elantra. Nice car, but the previous owner didn't take care of it as well as it should, so it runs rough. I guess it needs some valve cleaner in the crankshaft to clear up all the deposits that it has.

$1,500 in rebates, and coming in with the Edmunds TMV printout did the trick. I just said, "Can I have that one over there for this price? I brought my checkbook." Fifteen minutes later we were ready to fill out the papers. No hassle. Suzuki really wants to get market share. Just come prepared. (I even convinced them to give me $1,200 for my 1986 Dodge Lancer, which was more than I paid for it. That brought the final price under $12,000.) I am very satisfied with the deal . . . and the car.

YEARS 2002, 2003, & 2004

I know plenty of people. Luckly not many of them got suckered in to KIA/Hyundai trap.

Whoa guys. I already know about that for Daewoo... Im the Korean car king!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways.. its not the saem anymore.. I want the Daewoo badging.

I don't know what Audi Junkie is blabering about again. My friends 1997(98?) 2.8 A4 Quattro.. had soo many problems. and it was so expensive to fix.

KR, I have to say that having the skills to diagnose/fix/tweak your own car is far better than bending over wide for it at the dealership. When I need something at the dealer, I wait for my turn patiently at the counter while they ring up $1000+ plus repairs for lame-os who can't even read the repair bill. It's after they ring up goofs like your buddy that they toss me freebie/comp/VIP services. You should try taking that A4 for a ride so you can speak about it from a perspective greater than whining about supposed repair costs. Remember, not everyone is dirt-poor or from a 3rd World country or both. The bottom line is having a car that's WORTH fixing makes that decision process much easier. ftr- my total costs so far are under $.05c a mile, and I don't have to drive a motorized garbage can.

Also, I like how you call a reference to JB Powers report "blabber". That's funny. BTW- the subject was Hundais, not your friend's 1st Audi.
rolleyes.gif

in the end, it's just a car, fellas. Some folks like European cars, some could care less what they drive. Some are die hard American fans. Hyundai quality IS improving. American quality is improving as well. Euro quality has been sliding. But there is still the Euro driving experience, which is what I love and why I suffer thru used Euro cars. For someone w/ little spare change, i'd say a new Hyundai is a much better investment than a used Euro car, though. Hondas and Toyotas were once thought of as motorized garbage cans as well. Now, what words do you use to signify fine craftsmanship? Lexus-like! To each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back