New Keyboard Layout - Colemak

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, I've been typing on Colemak for about 2 weeks now. I used do be about 70-80wpm with qwerty. Now I'm about 40wpm with Colemak. I took some of the lessons but ended up just going semi cold turkey. I really like the layout, it just makes so much more sense.

One thing is my accuracy could use some improving. I'm at about 90%. I hope to improve it in the future. I showed a few of my friends and they are going to give it a try.

http://colemak.com/

Colemak_layout_2.png

Who should learn Colemak?
People that suffer from Repetitive strain injury (RSI), or Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS).
Anyone that experienced pain or discomfort while typing.
Writers, programmers or anyone who wishes to type as fast as they think, and slower typing might result in a loss of their train of thought.
Journalists, bloggers or anyone that needs to type in time-critical situations.
Students that take notes with laptops during lectures.
Anyone's that interested in lifehacks or doing things more efficiently.
People that often use instant messaging and chat software.
Anyone who spends over 10 hours per week at the keyboard.

What's wrong with the QWERTY layout?
It places very rare letters in the best positions, so your fingers have to move a lot more.
It suffers from a high same finger ratio that slows down typing and increases strain.
It allows for very long sequences of letters with the same hand (e.g. "sweaterdresses")
It was designed to prevent the keys from sticking, without any consideration to ergonomic or efficiency aspects.
It was designed so the word "typewriter" could be typed on the top row to ease demonstrations.
It suffers from an extremely high ratio of home-row-jumping sequences (e.g. "minimum")

The QWERTY keyboard was designed in the 1880s so the typewriter wouldn't jam. I find it interesting that despite all of its shortfalls, we still use it today.

And to anyone who wants to read more about the shortcomings of QWERTY, there is a really interesting article here:
http://infohost.nmt.edu/~shipman/ergo/parkinson.html

It advocates another popular alternative keyboard layout, Dvorak, but the message is the same. QWERTY is clearly inferior.

Last edited:
Very interesting. I am in IT and probably would benefit from something like this (we actually employee H + P typists who can't really ever be efficient ) but I can't get my mind around retraining myself in something that is second nature. Are you able to switch back to a QWERTY keyboard should you need to type @ someone else's machine? That would probably be a deal breaker for me.

From the website:

"I don't have time now to learn the Colemak layout

Learning a new keyboard layout is difficult and frustrating during the first few days, but you will reap the benefits every time you type for the rest of your life. You'll need to invest some time at first, but you'll be able to recoup your time investment many times over.

Even if you decide not to learn the layout, I recommend remapping the Caps Lock key to Backspace. That change alone results in a 15%-20% reduction of finger distance on QWERTY. After experiencing the difference perhaps you'll be more motivated to learn an alternative layout."

QWERTY is not easily forgotten, after all, it is engrained in years of muscle memory. A glance at the keyboard is enough to remind me.

But to be honest, I have no desire to go back to QWERTY. I don't use public computers enough. I have it set up so that a simple short cut will switch my keyboard back to QWERTY if I need it.

Even if the benefits are obvious, humans are resistant to change for whatever reason.

An obvious benefit is:

Finger distance:
Your fingers need to travel just a fraction of the that they do in QWERTY. On Dvorak your fingers move 10% more (30% more for a 4% error rate), and on QWERTY 102% more than Colemak (118% more for a 4% error rate).

Last edited:
I won't be doing it until I can get a laptop with that... I couldn't switch back and fourth all day

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
What's wrong with the QWERTY layout?
It places very rare letters in the best positions, so your fingers have to move a lot more.
It suffers from a high same finger ratio that slows down typing and increases strain.
It allows for very long sequences of letters with the same hand (e.g. "sweaterdresses")
It was designed to prevent the keys from sticking, without any consideration to ergonomic or efficiency aspects.
It was designed so the word "typewriter" could be typed on the top row to ease demonstrations.
It suffers from an extremely high ratio of home-row-jumping sequences (e.g. "minimum")

The QWERTY keyboard was designed in the 1880s so the typewriter wouldn't jam.

I wish more people understood this.

Typewriters were initially designed to put the most frequently used letters in easy reach. Typists eventually got so fast that the letter arms would sometimes cross and jam the typewriter. The whole point of QWERTY was to prevent that by slowing the typists down.

We are all using a keyboard layout specifically designed to make it as hard as possible to type. The only reason we still have it is that that's how things were always done. Never too late for a change, IMO...

For me, it was a total shift in reality when I learned this new information. Why on earth are we using a far inferior design? Human beings are creatures of habit.

What sold me is the 16x less finger movement compared to regular keyboards.

The homerow is far more efficient.

Here are some words you can type with just the homerow:

odds the hard tooth tide ether raid other rend hire dress has noted ash aide ha rider hiss soda ninth aside ahead hate toad shirt shed dare hid this dose horde ashen road shot shod idea hear hand read rash darts those stand three stood shorn trend hint dote short darn ah staid her node had heard horn third
add these hot ode hers does heart hated did rhino sash door teeth rid here sod hoe nerd head hose drier trash tread host date hat
trite stress sire it entire terse tit sir tire sinner retire rinse inn tree insist tier rite teeter resin stir siren enter sitter insert site sneer intern tie inner series steer tin riser its resent sin rise rent rein iris stern in titter resist eerie inert street is renter sit nine risen sister serene stint err snit intent entree nit inter rest tennis re tint

whereas in QWERTY, when you first learn to type on it, you type a lot of garbage like

fl s l ldk l s slj s dks sf kl ll ls l ls dss lkj slk ks jl jjss
l slj jl lkj l ldf s ld ll l ll ldk jjdl dlkk fl dss fld fl
kl fl fl lkj fld ld fld js l dss kl jl jl ldk fld s ls s js kl
ll ld dss fld l sf dss ll jl kl ls slj kl ldf kl dss ls js
s dlkk js kl js ls fld jl jjdl ll jjdl ll ldf ld ldk slj
slj fl fld lkj ldf dlkk dss fl ld ldk kl dks fl sf dks ldk
slj kl sf dlkk fl s kl l ll fl slj ll s s s dds s sf fld ks ks s
ll dss s sf dks fl ldf dks ld s jjss ll l slk kl dks sf ll ldf
s ll dlkk jl l ll ls l ldk ldk js dss s slj l dks fld jl

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo

fl s l ldk l s slj s dks sf kl ll ls l ls dss lkj slk ks jl jjss
l slj jl lkj l ldf s ld ll l ll ldk jjdl dlkk fl dss fld fl
kl fl fl lkj fld ld fld js l dss kl jl jl ldk fld s ls s js kl
ll ld dss fld l sf dss ll jl kl ls slj kl ldf kl dss ls js
s dlkk js kl js ls fld jl jjdl ll jjdl ll ldf ld ldk slj
slj fl fld lkj ldf dlkk dss fl ld ldk kl dks fl sf dks ldk
slj kl sf dlkk fl s kl l ll fl slj ll s s s dds s sf fld ks ks s
ll dss s sf dks fl ldf dks ld s jjss ll l slk kl dks sf ll ldf
s ll dlkk jl l ll ls l ldk ldk js dss s slj l dks fld jl

This would be the best way to get around Helen's censor, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back