New JASO specification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Japan continues to lead the way in the move to lower viscosity and the latest specification development includes SAE 0W-8 viscosity grade, for which HTHS is between 1.7 and 2.0 mPa.s and KV100 is 4.0 - 6.1 mm2/s.

While the ILSAC GF-6B performance standard is appropriate for existing SAE 0W-16 oils, Japanese OEMs are keen to introduce extra-low viscosity engine oils. To this end, work has begun on the development of a JASO standard for SAE 0W-8 viscosity grade that will use the standard ILSAC GF-6 durability tests. However, the Sequence VIF test, used to evaluate fuel economy, is not applicable for viscosity grades at or below SAE 0W-12, which highlighted the need for a new fuel economy test method.

The Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association and Petroleum Association of Japan (PAJ) formed the JASO Next Generation Engine Oil Task Force (TF) to work on the new fuel economy test method and to create a draft standard. Through 2017, TF activity focused on the development of the new fuel economy engine test and on a feasibility check of the compatibility of the ILSAC GF-6 tests with SAE 0W-8 oils.

The TF finalised the JASO test procedure and completed the verification of the draft specification in mid-2018, allowing the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan (JSAE) to carry out the standardisation work by year-end. The preparation of the JASO standard application manual and approval preparation are now underway. The whole process has required strong collaboration between the TF, Japan Lubricating Oil Society (JALOS) Lube Quality Committee and JSAE.

I can see it now; 40 weight oils on the black market
grin2.gif

Imagine it's late at night, a knock comes at the back door; "hey man I've got some 0w40 here, you buying?"
"How much?"
"$400 a quart..."
"Ok I'll take six, I'll take out a loan tomorrow..."
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back