New Honda HRV 2023 has clear liquid in windshield wiper reservoir

PDI tech probably forgot the concentrate/tabs... take it back and make them give you a bottle of concentrate to add...

WindshieldWasher_m.gif
Do they have a ratio for threadstarter's N.C. winter? I do like that its lists only 1 ingredient. The ratio is what needs to be known for your climate. Some products add in 'rubbing alcohol' along with 'coolant/antifreeze glycols' too. I need to hit the dealer and see the SDS. Definitely need a new non bulk 'methanol' source.

16 ounce bottle... hehehehehehe

Hondaratio.jpg

Do they have a ratio for threadstarter's N.C. winter? I do like that its lists only 1 ingredient. The ratio is what needs to be known for your climate. Some products add in 'rubbing alcohol' along with 'coolant/antifreeze glycols' too. I need to hit the dealer and see the SDS. Definitely need a new non bulk 'methanol' source.

16 ounce bottle... hehehehehehe

View attachment 133212
A bottle of cheap HEET methanol drygas should do it then as a quick poor boy solution. Don't forget the blue Easter egg dye!

Personally I would use a denatured Ethyl as it less toxic.

I wonder what could be in a tablet that'll prevent a gallon of water from freezing. Most windshield washer fluids use a ratio of methanol and water. Some add isopropyl and ethylene glycol to keep it from freezing. How is a tablet going to work when the amount of water is 100%? Some of us blend our own windshield washer fluid. But, my days of finding a gallon of methanol for $3 is over...

I also forget about HEET.... 100% methanol and ISO-HEET is 100% rubbing alcohol.... but still $25 a gallon. Haven't used it since the introduction of E10. Available source is another excuse to install the water/meth injection.... and go back to high btu 87 regular in place of the pricey 93 octane premium! Hard to find windshield washer fluid that isn't loaded with all kinds of bug removing detergents, colorings, all with unknown water/meth ratios, windshield rain repellent coatings, and glycols. Will also be considering a misting kit for the running engine IVD cleaning in place of canned spray IVD products like CRC/STP/Lucas/Seafoam.... Paint lacquer thinner is another option since the SDS list seems to be a acceptable recipe for gasoline engines. Ethanol isn't cheap unless you're making your own 'shine.

Its pretty sad if you go out and buy a brand new car, and now its winter, and you don't use windshield washer much, and you find out its only water.

Do they have a ratio for threadstarter's N.C. winter? I do like that its lists only 1 ingredient. The ratio is what needs to be known for your climate.
It says right in your picture - 13 oz of concentrate to 19 oz of water (basically 70/30 ratio of water to additive).

wow automakers are getting this cheap?
It's weight-savings and every manufacturer of any product does the same or should do the same. Automakers would ship vehicles over the ocean without oil, trans fluid, and coolant if they didn't have to drive them on and off the boats. Guarantee you they put a minimum amount of fuel in them too.

Another example is Apple no longer supplying earbuds or chargers with their phones. The box the phone comes in is 2/3 the height of older phone boxes. That lets them fit more phones in a box in shipping containers.

My daughter bought a 2023 Chevy Traverse about 2 weeks ago and she brought up to show me and I checked everything over and it also has water in the washer reservoir. I did the same "taste test" you did and I told her for what she paid she should take it back. Her husband said that I am making a big deal over nothing and I told him BS, dealer is pretty far away so she told her husband to get a turkey baster and change it out.

Didn't find that initially. I looked at wikipedia as they have information on different generations, where they're produced, etc but it's not up-to-date it seems.

Remember now the US-market HR-V is different than the global HR-V sold overseas :sneaky:

I had a suction pump and got it out. Bought a gallon of the standard all season blue from Oreilly auto parts. -20. I wasn’t taking it 60 miles for them to do it. Look I know what ya are saying about tasting it. I put less than a drop on my tongue. Taste buds said nothing. Spit it out and swished my mouth out with bottled water. I grew up like a lot of you doing asbestos brake jobs. Siphoning gas with a hose and getting the **** in your mouth. I’m not saying it was smart. It wasn’t. But doing these little things is keeping things in check to make sure I don’t out live my retirement money…thanks for the reply’s.

Didn't find that initially. I looked at wikipedia as they have information on different generations, where they're produced, etc but it's not up-to-date it seems.
If I understand the timeline correctly, the last-gen Honda Fit (which was also made in Mexico) was discontinued so they could move HRV production to that plant.

Drop or two of Dawn Dish soap,

half a bottle of Heet,

and a drop of food coloring, if you have it…

Other half of Heet bottle can go in gas tank…

I had to take a look at my Integra, it still has the factory fill in it and it is the lightest color blue washer fluid I've ever seen. There is a super easy way to disconnect the line going to the sprayer so you can easily pump out and refill....maybe the HR-V is similar? I am still shocked that a new car would be delivered with water in the tank. I'd just drain and refill with known washer fluid.

GitXprn.jpg

Q6jmJsl.jpg

I am still shocked that a new car would be delivered with water in the tank.
I thought it was Honda that actually sells tablets for washer fluid. You add a tablet to the reservoir that's filled with water and it changes into 'proper' washer fluid. Someone posted a liquid version above and that's all I see on a Honda parts website now too.

Found the tablets, https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~summer~washer~tablet~08798-tabs.html, but they're for "summer" use. I guess that means they're soap tablets with little to no alcohol content.

I had to take a look at my Integra, it still has the factory fill in it and it is the lightest color blue washer fluid I've ever seen. There is a super easy way to disconnect the line going to the sprayer so you can easily pump out and refill....maybe the HR-V is similar? I am still shocked that a new car would be delivered with water in the tank. I'd just drain and refill with known washer fluid.

GitXprn.jpg

Q6jmJsl.jpg
When I removed the factory fill and had it in a white bucket , it did have the ever so slightly blue tint. I mean so light I had to pour it out and then pour clean water in bucket to look again. It did have a tiniest tint. So light you can’t see it. But it froze in my house freezer. So I swapped it out. As you can see the reservoir is hidden. Mine too. So I had a suction pump and got it out. It’s what I pull oil samples with. Long thin hose with sample bottle. I did have to dump the little bottle 20 times. But alls good now in the universe. Good luck.

Back