New Honda HRV 2023 has clear liquid in windshield wiper reservoir

New vehicle last night . Checking fluids this morning. The windshield wiper reservoir fluid is clear as water. Might be ??!! I put a sample in freezer. I tasted it. Tasted like water. A drop on my tongue. Rinsed my mouth with clean water. Is it supposed to be clear ?? I realize they put a dye in it for our benefit. Thanks Wardawg

Attachments

• 58DF556E-01B9-4CBE-8D93-01C91A3D7C3D.jpeg
    58DF556E-01B9-4CBE-8D93-01C91A3D7C3D.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 58
I buy clear washer fluid from Adams on purpose...literally because it is clear. I hate the residue being more obvious due to the dyes on the glass and A pillars.

That being said put some in the freezer and you'll know at least that it's not a winter mix if it goes solid.

Some Asian manufacturers fill the washer reservoir with straight water after the car is unloaded in port (the cars are shipped with the reservoirs empty).
Who fills it with water ? Someone at the port ? There's zero reason to add anything to the reservoirs until the dealer receives them where they add proper washer fluid.

I once rented a car at the Sacramento airport and drove it over the Donner Pass.... Apparently the rental place used water to fill the reservoir! It froze up once I got above a certain elevation and the temperature dropped and I couldn't see a thing due to spray from all the trucks.

It must've been 100% water, or else they were just diluting the washer fluid more and more every time they topped it off with water.

Should be dyed to look like blue raspberry Koolaid so you don't accidently drink it, thinking it was water. 😉 This walmart link will fix it for you:

If you want a known temp protection level, I'd just waste it all and refill with some good cold weather windshield washer fluid.

Since I typically use the +32F blue, had to toss a half bottle of Rainx Booster.... Was happy that a pint fit both cars and nothing froze during the teen temps this past week.

If it's cold, it will freeze. If it's warm, it will smell like fart soon :sneaky:

Buy some real washer fluid, and then use up all the factory fill water until it's empty, then out the real fluid in

Should be dyed to look like blue raspberry Koolaid so you don't accidently drink it, thinking it was water. 😉 This walmart link will fix it for you:

I came here to say this :D

I've never heard of a new car being delivered with water in the windshield washer reservoir. Where was this HR-V assembled?
They're made in Japan so the post above about Asian automakers shipping them with washer fluid over the ocean for weight-savings could be accurate. Every little bit helps.... and it's not critical to be left empty vs oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, etc.

I’ve seen techs dump in a bottle of MOC washer solvent during PDI of cars. If anything, the 3PLP that preps the car for transit(rail/truck) from a port of call or railhead should fill the washer tank.

Who fills it with water ? Someone at the port ? There's zero reason to add anything to the reservoirs until the dealer receives them where they add proper washer fluid.
Depends on the manufacturer. Some leave filling the washer fluid for the dealers. But every foreign manufacturer has personnel who work at the ports where the cars arrive to do paperwork, adding accessories, etc.

I'll just say I have firsthand experience with finding what was in the reservoir in a new car being straight water that froze when temps dropped well below freezing.

wow automakers are getting this cheap? Or a dealership was being that lazy.. Sure looks like water to me too.. Time to get that out of there and put in some proper winter wiper fluid, as everyone else is pretty much saying too..

New vehicle last night . Checking fluids this morning. The windshield wiper reservoir fluid is clear as water. Might be ??!! I put a sample in freezer. I tasted it. Tasted like water. A drop on my tongue. Rinsed my mouth with clean water. Is it supposed to be clear ?? I realize they put a dye in it for our benefit. Thanks Wardawg
I could be water. Years ago a co-worker purchased an audi A4 that came in from a dealership in Southern California. They put water in the washer fluid reservoir.

Cant believe the number of post on this thread.

Never EVER seen ww fluid clear. My new Renault Fuego had some that smelled like scotch whiskey. Same thing with my old VW Fox. Not Good if you get pulled over; "But Office..fer, I was just cleaning my windscreen and this French stuff is cheap booze ... I think ... Hic !

Tasted it? It contains HIGHLY TOXIC methanol ! Why it says this on the label;

DANGER!
download.jpg
POISON

Clear? Its likely water. Run it half out then Add some cheap vodka and two drops of blue or red easter egg dye.

Back