New Honda Generator Oil Questions

My WGen9500 has Redline 10w30 ester/PAO … it’s my main backup for two fridges, a freezer, and portable AC.

The 6000 and my 4000’s get Delvac 1 in 5w40

Honda recommends 10W30 conventional oil because Honda sells a 10W30 conventional oil and does not sell a synthetic oil.

When Honda starts selling a synthetic oil they will start recommending a synthetic oil.

I broke my EU2000i in on Honda 10W-30 oil. They filled it when I bought it and gave me a quart of it.

I changed the oil after 30 minutes of running to get the initial break-in glitter out of the engine. Then I changed every 2-5 hours until the drained oil came out clean (without any metal glitter when viewed in the sunshine).

I'm now using up the last of a jug of Mobil 1 10W-30 oil in it. I have a new jug of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 I got on sale in the queue for the next oil change. Honestly, the 10W-30 did just fine in the winter in SE Michigan this last year during four power outages. It pulled over and started up just fine in 20 degree weather.

Now I'm on the 100hr or annual OCI plan. (Actually, I'll only change it at the end of the season if it has more than 20 or so hours on it. If not, I'll leave the oil in for another year. My annual use varies depending on camping sites and power outages at home.)

Both Mobile1
GradeSAE 5W-40
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44513.7
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44583

GradeSAE 10W-30
Density @ 15.6 C, g/ml, ASTM D40520.859
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44510.4
Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, °C, ASTM D92232
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44566

The 10W30 Mobile1 has a lower viscosity at 40C than the 5W40 - 66 VS 83

Lower viscosity means it pours / flows easier.

Maybe someone that understands this can fill me in - I always figured a 5W? would flow easier that a 10W? in the cold but it doesn't appear to be the case.

I have a 25 year old generator with an 11 HP B&S it was broke in with some cheap conventional 10-30 and after that it has seen at least 600 Hrs with M1 10-30. It ran for many weeks after Wilma, Katrina, Irma and a few smaller storms as well as a power source for a camper I also have a 22 HP Honda V twin a Honda 13 HP and my lawnmower with a Kawasaki 6 HP. They are all older now so they all get M1 10-40 High Mileage. Never an oil related problem. They are all overbuilt small engines and probably be happy with ATF in them. Don't ask me how I know!

Honda recommends 10W30 conventional oil because Honda sells a 10W30 conventional oil and does not sell a synthetic oil.

When Honda starts selling a synthetic oil they will start recommending a synthetic oil.
They do now it comes in 10-30.

Cleaned out my sisters garage prior to a move and she gave me a 5qt jug of SuperTech 5w-30 conventional . I plan on using it in my mower and generator and I won't lose a minutes sleep . :giggle:

The 10W30 Mobile1 has a lower viscosity at 40C than the 5W40 - 66 VS 83

Lower viscosity means it pours / flows easier.

Maybe someone that understands this can fill me in - I always figured a 5W? would flow easier that a 10W? in the cold but it doesn't appear to be the case.
That's at 40C which is irrelevant to the two winter ratings in your example, and one is a 30-grade and one is a 40-grade. A 30-grade oil is always going to be thinner except at the lower limits where the winter rating becomes relevant. It's also because the winter rating isn't about pouring and flow, pouring and flow is nearly irrelevant in an engine. The winter rating is about cranking and pumpability.

And it's Mobil 1, not Mobile 1.

Back