New HID's on the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The 9011 and 9012 bulbs are much much cheaper than a HID conversion, actually fit and aim and focus properly in a 9007 and 9006 hardware (unlike the HID conversion bulbs which cannot aim and focus properly in most if not all existing Halogen designed fixtures.) I have them in my RAV4 and my PT Cruiser and they met all my expectations for superior lighting.

Richard.

I thought the 9012/9011 fits a 9006/9005 socket. The 9007 is a different style. It's dual filament and uses a different method to lock into the headlight.

Regarding HID conversions, after reading DOT documents regarding lighting modifications for on-road use, it is illegal to convert non-HID headlights to HIDs.

Now, how do you get prosecuted for such an illegal conversion? I suppose if you were involved in an automobile accident with injuries or worse and the other driver claimed that they were “blinded by the light” from your HID installation, you could be found guilty of an illegal modification to your vehicle. However, I have no idea what the fine or sentence would be for such a violation…I suppose it depends on how deep the pockets are of those who are prosecuting and how much insurance you, the defendant carries.

Regarding HIDs, they work best in projector headlamp designs. Also, the good ones are built with the arc chamber in the same focal center as the filament of the lamp they replace.

I have HIDs on my motorcycle and they work very well (BMW with projector headlamp design). Also, they fire without any relays (the BMW headlamp circuit is robust).

Inasmuch as I used to sell HID kits, I do have a few left over if anybody is interested. I have H4s and H1s. All are 4300K.

Quote:

I know Daniel Stern would disagree, but I think HIDs can work successfully in SOME OEM headlights that came with halogen bulbs. Look at this vid clip showing a HID conversion in stock Mustang headlights. Beam pattern shows a nice, sharp cutoff (just like on my Chrysler 300M).

I'm about to order an HID conversion kit for my 300M--low beams only.

I disagree that this is a good beam pattern. It has hot spots at what appears to be right in the line of sight of oncoming drivers. Also, the beam seems to rise at or near the center, again, bad for oncoming drivers. Also, the beam is not well filled out to the right, leaving objects at the right of the roadway pooly illuminated. For this application, I would opt for add-on aftermarket lights.

Quote:

Quote:

I know Daniel Stern would disagree, but I think HIDs can work successfully in SOME OEM headlights that came with halogen bulbs. Look at this vid clip showing a HID conversion in stock Mustang headlights. Beam pattern shows a nice, sharp cutoff (just like on my Chrysler 300M).

I'm about to order an HID conversion kit for my 300M--low beams only.

I disagree that this is a good beam pattern. It has hot spots at what appears to be right in the line of sight of oncoming drivers. Also, the beam seems to rise at or near the center, again, bad for oncoming drivers. Also, the beam is not well filled out to the right, leaving objects at the right of the roadway pooly illuminated. For this application, I would opt for add-on aftermarket lights.

The point is, that on this Mustang, the HID beam pattern is essentially identical to the stock halogen beam pattern, meaning this was a "successful" HID conversion. Is the beam pattern ideal for HID? No. But it's not as bad as it could be.

The point is, that on this Mustang, the HID beam pattern is essentially identical to the stock halogen beam pattern, meaning this was a "successful" HID conversion. Is the beam pattern ideal for HID? No. But it's not as bad as it could be.

G Man,

That may be so but the video shows that glare for oncoming drivers would be excessive creating a hazard.

Quote:

Quote:

G Man,

That may be so but the video shows that glare for oncoming drivers would be excessive creating a hazard.

I respectfully disagree. The video shows a well-defined cutoff, though not as sharp as on OEM projector HID units. The hot spot is in the middle, but it is below the cutoff. If aimed properly, these lights should present little more glare to oncoming traffic than the stock halogen bulbs.

This guy has another video on his youtube site taken behind the wheel as he drives down a public road at night. You get a clearer picture of the lights' performance on that video.

Quote:

Put a couple of passengers in the rear seat of that Ponycar and you'll have oncoming traffic driving into the ditches.

That's easier said than done. Have you ever seen the backseat of the last generation Mustang? It's for looks only.
laugh.gif

Good, I hope I send a few of the SUVs into the ditches... I'll consider it "saving our environment"

btw - the headlights are FANTASTIC. 4300K, lots of lllumination, and aimed properly I don't even get flashed. I had a friend drive in front of me and he said while they were bright they were not blinding, and he was astounded at how much more light output I'm getting from them.

After many weeks of driving with them, when I jump into a halogen car I feel like I can't see things well at all. It's like the difference between having RainX and not on the windshield in a thunderstorm.

As of 8/23/04 HID kits were banned in the US, due to large amounts of drivers that complained. If you want HID go with OEM as it is the only REAL way to go. Kits contain inferior aftermarket components that aren't nearly the quality of oem. I've heard many times that people who switched from kits to oem saw night and day differences in output. Go online and compare a kit versus the real thing, there is no comparison.

I have HID in my highlander. 4300K, Denso ballast, and philips bulbs. It's not all that blue, kinda yellowish-white. The color isn't that great, but the light output is amazing.

I have it in the stock reflector housing, and I don't think it's all that bad. Besides, some of the trucks I see on the road WITH NORMAL BULBS are still blinding me. Those are the people that needs to get dragged out and shot.

The only thing I don't like about HID kits is that the initial power draw of light is pretty high during startup. Sure, a aftermarket cable thingy to the battery (forgot the name of it) would usually solve the problem, but a bad quality cable would cause more problems.

If you see yellow, you likely do not have 4300K lamp color. At 4300K, your light color should be whiter than any incandescent lamp and similar in color to OE HID equipped autos. Your lamp modules may be contaminated with copper or contain too much sodium salt if they are yellow. Many aftermarket lamp modules suffer from poor control during manufacture...the gas and metal salt mixture (the components that control the color) must be controlled very precisely.

HIDs do not perform all that well in reflector style optics...too much light goes astray, usually right into oncoming driver's eyes.

You might be better off with high performance incandescent bulbs in your reflector headlamp assemblies.

If you go to high performance incandescent lamps, watch out for heat if your headlights are plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back