Aftermarket HID adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I thought I'd try one of those aftermarket HID conversion kits. My low beams take a 9006 bulb, and I feel this bulb is probably the best candidate for a successful retrofit to HID because of the filament placement.

I got a kit off ebay for about $140. It came yesterday. The kit is made by HID Lighting of Hong Kong. All the components looked very well made and it appeared this would be a simple "plug-n-play" deal, so I set out this morning to put 'em in. Of course, nothing is simple with a 300M, especially since you have to take the whole front of the car off just to get the headlights out. However, that turned out not to be as big a pain as I was expecting. Getting the HID lights to work was a much bigger pain than I was expecting, and was ultimately unsuccessful.

I switched out the drivers side first. Didn't work. Discovered it was a ground problem with the ballast. Fixed that and she fired up nice and bright.

Switched out the passenger side. Wouldn't fire. Fooled with the ground. Still wouldn't fire. Unhooked from that ballast. Hooked up to ballast on drivers side. Wouldn't fire. Hooked drivers side light back up, and IT WOULDN'T FIRE. Checked ground with ohm meter. Good ground. Checked voltage to the ballasts. Voltage was fine.

Put 9006 bulbs back in and put the front of the car back together.

Went to Freedom Dodge web site tonight and ordered a set of the OEM HID projector headlights for the 300M. Considerably more expensive, but at least I know these truly are plug-n-play and will work when I put them in.

Moral of the story: These aftermarket HID kits are a roll of the dice. They might work, or they might not. Mine didn't.

I just ordered two kits yesterday off Ebay. One for my Mazda 3 and one for my Taurus. It appears they are the same kits as the one you ordered.

Quote:

I just ordered two kits yesterday off Ebay. One for my Mazda 3 and one for my Taurus. It appears they are the same kits as the one you ordered.

I hope they work out. Keep us posted.

I'm hoping they show up tomorrow and I can at least get one set installed in the Mazda 3. I went with 5000k bulbs on both. I wanted that WHITE light with just a small hint of blue. The 6000k's looked too blue in some of the pics I've seen.

I got mine from LED Gauges.com - absolutely fantastic for $240ish... Mine were made by Co-Way? Im posting pics soon

Quote:

I went with 5000k bulbs on both. I wanted that WHITE light with just a small hint of blue. The 6000k's looked too blue in some of the pics I've seen.

Unless you can get 4300K as used in OEM HID lights, 5000K is the way to go, IMO. It will put out almost as much light as 4300K without the annoying blue you get with anything over 6000K.

USPS showed up with my kits today. Of course the manual is written in Chinglish. I'll try and get one of the sets in this weekend.

Quote:

USPS showed up with my kits today. Of course the manual is written in Chinglish. I'll try and get one of the sets in this weekend.

Yeah, about the only thing the manual that came with mine was good for was a few chuckles.

Well the OEM HID headlights for my 300M arrived today.
thumbsup.gif

I'll put 'em in tomorrow and give a "road test" tomorrow night after I get 'em aimed properly.

Special HIDs are in. Took me about an hour this morning to do it. They fired right up, nice and bright and white. I'll need to check the aim tonight.

I put a McCullough HID conversion in my Mazda 3 and 626 with absolutely horrid results, the bulbs had a shield on them that was on the bottom of the bulb causing the light to shine upwards right into oncoming motorist's eyes, could never get the things aimed, I took them out and resold them, I put the OEM lights back in and its good enough for me, unfortunately the OEM HID lights for the Mazda 3 are hard to find right now, I think ill keep waiting.

Hid kits are not the way to go. Any of you on this forum that have OEM hids will blow away the cut off and intensity of any kit. G-Man you could have dug through your local junkyard(I have and still haven't found componensts) or look on ebay etc. I dont think you'll be disapponted with your oem lighting. A further note to any body pondering the kit route.. as of August 2003 it is illegal to sell hid kits in the USA.So if one of the components breaks you might not be able to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back