New here, need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I bought a 2010 Scion xB. It has the toyota 2.4L 4 cylinder in it. I have a few questions regarding oil, I have tried looking around the site but I dont understand a lot of this stuff. I will be changing the oil myself every 5000 miles for warranty reasons. I plan on getting as many miles as possible out of this engine/car, thats why I decided to come her for some advice.

1. When should I change out the factory oil? I was thinking at around 1000 miles.

2. Should I get a certain amount of miles on the car before switching to synthetic?

3. The manual recommends 0w-20 or 5w-20, I live in Las Vegas so it gets mildy cold during the winter and very hot during the summer, which weight should I use?

4. This goes along with the previous, but Amsoil offers a SAE 5W-20 XL Synthetic Motor Oil, and they offer a SAE 0W-20 100% Synthetic Motor Oil. Is the XL oil 100% synthetic? Which oil is better?

5. I am already an Amsoil preferred customer, and they have a warehouse local to me, so I can get Amsoil pretty easily. If anyone has any better suggestions though I would like to hear them.

Last edited:
Considering how many engines there are out there with 200K on them surviving overdue Iffy Lube dino, likely any of your choices will do the job for you.

I have usually dumped the factory fill early. My 92 Grand Am used about a quart every 1000 miles. In 160 K, I have never added a drop to my 02 Cavalier. Duh?

Many of us change the FF early, at 1000 miles seems good to me.

You can switch to synthetic anytime.

I would run the 5W-20.

The XL line has the API rating, important for your warranty. It would also be perfect for the 5k OCIs you are planning. The 100% syn oil would be better for longer OCIs when you're out of warranty. Keep good records and all receipts.

Amsoil makes great oils and would be an excellent choice, you really couldn't do better.

Do an initial oil change at 1,000 miles with synthetic. When the odometer reads 5,000 change again. Rinse, lather and repeat every 5,000 miles and your engine will last forever

Originally Posted By: Nayov
Do an initial oil change at 1,000 miles with synthetic. When the odometer reads 5,000 change again. Rinse, lather and repeat every 5,000 miles and your engine will last forever

You guy`s are a mess.....
48.gif

While you're stuck at 5000 mile oci's, really any oil will do. It's probably easier for you to find 5-20 than 0-20, and in your climate probably no difference between the two, so I would use the 5-20. You could use 5-30 with no problems on this engine as well. Being a bucket actuated valve engine, it can be a bit loud, and the thicker oil might help with harshness.

This is a very common engine. I like mine. No common points of failure. In a much lighter car, I'm sure you'll enjoy yours more.

FWIW, I just use whatever synthetic I can get cheap, 7500 mile OCI, and I'm sure the engine will still outlive the rest of the car.

Last edited:
The XL oil is a group III synthetic like most others on the market today. The Amsoil 0-20 is a PAO base synthetic. For 5,000 mile drains the XL 5W-20 will be fine. Use a quality filter such as Pure one. I would change the factory fill at 1-3K.

I think that you may want to check into the FF. Some manufacturers suggest you keep it for the entire OCI.

0w20 or 5w20 should be fine. For warranty purposes, anything that fits the bill in your user manual.

1. You can leave the factory fill in until your first regularly scheduled oil change or you can change it now. I would do one or the other... There's nothing special about leaving it in until 1000 miles.

2. The consensus here seems to be that an engine will break in slower using synthetic oil because it cannot wear as fast. This shouldn't be a problem.

3. You could use either weight. A great choice would be the Amsoil ASM "100% synthetic" 0w20 (it has API rating also), but probably overkill for the 5,000 mile intervals. Save your money and use the Amsoil 5w20 XL Synthetic until you are out of warranty, and then use the ASM or even SSO for 10,000+ mile intervals which you can adjust based on UOAs ( post them here :) ).

4. The 0w20 oil is "better" but both are synthetics. The following thread is a discussion about the difference between Amsoil's "Synthetic" and "100% Synthetic" oils: https://btunnel.com/index.php/1000010A/6...214#Post1647056

5. Amsoil will work great for you.

Thanks everyone. So even with the XL oil 3000 mile intervals would probably be overkill right? A mechanic friend of mine told me to change the oil in this car every 3000 miles even if I am using synthetic, he claims he has seen a lot of these engines sludge up. He is a good friend, but I dont know how great of a mechanic he is lol.

I saw someone mention pure one oil filters, anyone else have any other opinions abbout what oil filter to use? I was thinking about just using factory filters, are the factory toyota filters not very good?

Last edited:
Any oil @ 3000 miles is overkill in easy Las Vegas.

5k oci? Any 5w-20 oil and filter you'd like. In the end anything will get you there in fine fashion.

Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Use the XL and go 5k between changes, that will be very good. Your mechanic friend means well, but....

Almost any filter will go 5k. The factory Toyota filters are pretty good, not as good as they used to be though. I use them on my Toyotas and they work well for me. You can get them discounted from your dealer if you're willing to buy several at a time. You can also get them online for pretty cheap from several diff places.

Some will tell you to stay away from Fram filters. Not sure about that, but the good news is that there are many other good ones to choose from.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Any oil @ 3000 miles is overkill in easy Las Vegas.

5k oci? Any 5w-20 oil and filter you'd like. In the end anything will get you there in fine fashion.

Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

Thanks. My friend apprenticed under a very old school mechanic, so I am sure that is why he believes that you should change the oil at 3000 mile or 3 months no matter what.

I really appreciate the help and info everyone.

Yep, 3K is much more than you need.

I don;t think there is anything wrong with leaving the FF for 5K, unless otherwise noted for warranty puposes.

Do you have to replace the filter at the same 5K intervals to stay in warranty? If not, I would slap a Amsoil EaO on there, oversized maybe, or a M1 (you get the idea), and leave it on there for 2-3 intervals.

If you really want to be nuts about filtration, you could hunt down a oversized FleetGuard Stratapore filter, and add a bypass filtration system. But none of that makes a lick of sense until you are out of warranty!

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
Yep, 3K is much more than you need.

I don;t think there is anything wrong with leaving the FF for 5K, unless otherwise noted for warranty puposes.

Do you have to replace the filter at the same 5K intervals to stay in warranty? If not, I would slap a Amsoil EaO on there, oversized maybe, or a M1 (you get the idea), and leave it on there for 2-3 intervals.

If you really want to be nuts about filtration, you could hunt down a oversized FleetGuard Stratapore filter, and add a bypass filtration system. But none of that makes a lick of sense until you are out of warranty!

Yes, I believe that I would need to change the oil filter at 5k intervals as well. Then again, since I am going to be doing this all myself how would toyota/scion even know?

Originally Posted By: BrianR
Then again, since I am going to be doing this all myself how would toyota/scion even know?

If a warranty issue ever came up involving lubrication failure, you would probably need to provide proof of maintenance. If you're doing the oil changes yourself, your proof of purchase is what you'd provide --- so if you only have one filter for every few oil changes being purchased, thats how they'd tell.

I would change the filter with the oil unless you got a high end one. The cheaper ones will work just as well for the 5k mile intervals and knowing the filter is fresh gives more peace-of-mind to me.

Change the filter and oil every 5k miles or 6months whichever comes up first.

Keep the flap off the filter box, write down the mileage and date with oil used. Then have a simple log showing the oil change along with the receipts for everything and *if* (and a VERY big IF) you have any problems, Toyota will accept the above with NO problems.

Big thing they care about is that you CHANGED the oil and filter with the proper oil and filter (ie, you used the recommended weights and a filter spec'd for the engine) They could care less if you used brand A or B or conventional or syn.

Personally I change out the factory fill around 1000-1500 miles, then the next oil change @ 5k miles and every 5k after. I put on a lot of miles so time is never a come first data point for my OCIs.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba

He DOES have to replace the filter along with the oil. And he needs to make sure that the filter is spec'd for his engine. (ie Wix,Fram,Purolator, Supertech all state in their manuals the filter he useds was FOR the engine)

No over sized filters are needed in this app. The stock size works great.

Take care, bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back