New Havoline DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
About half of the moly than the old stuff [400 now 200].
A lot more calcium for longer safe life. Still has decent moly - the old oil had a LOT.
I bought a bunch of the old stuff that was slashed in price because the new stuff was coming out.

They increased the boron also. I think.

I'm running the 5w-20 now. Should have a UOA after I put about 5-7k on it.

Quote:

They also increased the price....by about 50%.

At the Wal Mart here in Kc Havoline DS is $2.56, the old Formula was $2.18 IIRC. With quick math off the top of the brain, that is about 15% more.

It will take a good sale at AAP or the like for me to buy the new Havoline, as all Sm/GF-4 5w-20 oils are excellent oils.

Happy frugal motoring to all.
driving.gif

$2.89 for Havoline DS at my local Advance Auto Parts.

For that price, its better to stock up on Pennzoil Platinum (BOGO free deal) or Havoline Synthetic at Big Lots for 2 bucks.

Quote:

$2.89 for Havoline DS at my local Advance Auto Parts.

For that price, its better to stock up on Pennzoil Platinum (BOGO free deal) or Havoline Synthetic at Big Lots for 2 bucks.

What is all this about BOGO free deal???? what am I missing out on???
Also it went up a lot here also

Havoline synthetic has been $3/qt at every Big Lots around here...I still bought ten quarts though...we'll see how it does...

I'm currently running 5W-30 Havoline DS in my GM 5.3L with the Amsoil Ea filter.

My observations are the oil has a clear, light amber color, as poured out of the bottle. Which is good, as the Havoline from an OCI last fall had more of a darker, reddish brown coloration.

Also, the data sheet indicates a 9.7 cSt at 100C viscosity and it is indeed thinner. My normal oil pressure at 60 miles/hr and 1700 rpm is 53 psi with a 30 weight oil.

With 5W-30 Havoline DS, it is 4-5 less at 48-49 psi.

89 cents Chevron Supreme - $2+ Havoline - Delo another 25 cents. I'll be using Chevron or Delo until I see this oil alot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back