New Harvest King bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
Anyone else noticed this? Was at the local Rural King today, saw HK full syn was in a new bottle, not similar to anything else on the shelves, not even Citgo. Do y'all think the supplier changed? I noticed that the new bottle is labeled API SN Plus, old one was just SN. Pictures follow, hopefully (never posted any on here before).

ACCB71E7-2D9C-40A0-BD88-9A685495225E.jpeg

CE0B3A61-1FC5-436D-8CCC-22DC528DDEEE.jpeg

C16C82BF-8B53-418C-9DE6-656B91FB3DA4.jpeg

meijer/ autoquest bottles looked like that for a couple years, even had the warren oil logo in that oval on the front of the jug.
[Linked Image]

a few months back the jugs changed again, but the oil is still from (per the label):
Warren Oil Company, Dunn NC.
(not to be confused with warren distribution.. different company...)

just sayin'...

Last edited:
Very interesting, thanks for the heads up. Curious as well whether the supplier has changed. I always liked HK's Citgo-made oil, always performed well and turned out decent UOA.

All Citgo oils, as far back as I can remember had a fluorescent pink or blue date stamp / code on the lower side or bottom of the bottle. This might be a good indicator whether you have Citgo oil on your hands. If it were changed to Warren, I would expect to find WNE or WPP on the bottom.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
... If it were changed to Warren, I would expect to find WNE or WPP on the bottom.
Not if it changed back to the other Warren, Warren Oil, which made RK's house brand oil before Citgo did.

What marking is on the bottom of the bottle?

Yup they are changing up some stuff in the oil aisles.

Noticed they are selling Mobil Super 5000 now for $12.99 a jug.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Wonder if the went up in price...

Yes, It did go up $1.00 for the jugs. Full SYN HK was $11.99 a few months ago, Now it's $12.99 at the Atwoods farm store down the road from me

Not a bad deal for reg shelf price, But when I have "tasted the good stuff" with recent deals like M1 EP and AP for $1.00-2.00 a qt, $13 seems to much for my wallet lol

Dave

The annoying part is, they're approaching the price of more popular/bigger name synthetics, like Mobil Super & QSUD, that seem to have rebates & sales quite often, starting to price themselves out of the market somewhat.

The bottom of the 5-quart I bought didn't have any logos on it, other than the obligatory recycling mark. Took a picture of one of the new 1-quart bottles this morning. I think we're looking at a Warren product

215B6BAF-8564-44FD-BB7E-77FDE165E97C.jpeg

Two years ago, while I was visiting Florida, I purchased HK syn. 0w20 (made by Citgo) for $9.99 a 5 qt. jug....$12.99 is a 30% increase....and crude oil is lower now than 2 years ago....I think...

Those jugs have the same shape as the ones in my store... but the ones I looked at did not have the same markings as your pic shows. Weird.

Conventional $9.49/5 qts, syn $13.99/5 qts at the local store here in Indiana.

Originally Posted by pbm
Two years ago, while I was visiting Florida, I purchased HK syn. 0w20 (made by Citgo) for $9.99 a 5 qt. jug....$12.99 is a 30% increase....and crude oil is lower now than 2 years ago....I think...

The cost of manufacturing motor oil has a lot more factors than just the price of crude. Besides, $12.99 for 5 quarts of synthetic is an amazing price, even if it's a 30% increase over what you paid 2 years ago. It's possible they were actually losing money when they sold it at $9.99, but just priced it that low to attract customers into the store to buy other things. (loss leader)

SubieRubyRoo said:
Those jugs have the same shape as the ones in my store... but the ones I looked at did not have the same markings as your pic shows. Weird.

So, in laymans terms CITGO more than likely still blends the oil
smile.gif

Thanks SubieRubyRoo

Check the Dexos license number on the new container to see if it matches the number issued to Citgo or Warren.

Originally Posted by getawheel
Th... Took a picture of one of the new 1-quart bottles this morning. I think we're looking at a Warren product
Yes, your picture looks almost exactly like the bottom of RK oil I bought in 2015, before they switched to Citgo as supplier. The label on the 2015 bottle specifically states "Packaged by Warren Oil Company, Inc." ---not to be confused with the other Warren, WPP. All of which I take to mean Rural King's old supplier fought back against Citgo, and has its RK contract again.

Those who were boycotting Harvest King oil on account of Citgo's Venezuelan connections can relax now.

Harvest King oil has been supplied by Citgo long before 2015-- I remember buying it in 2009 or thereabouts and it was definitely made by Citgo. Possibly it is switched on a contract type basis depending on who can give them the best deal in a given period of time.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Harvest King oil has been supplied by Citgo long before 2015-- I remember buying it in 2009 or thereabouts and it was definitely made by Citgo. ...
Interesting. I didn't know that, or anything about Rural King at all until they opened a store in an area I often visit in Kentucky. That must've been about 2011. At that store in 2014 and 2015, their house brand oil was branded "Rural King," then "RK," not Harvest King.

I joined just to get into this discussion- been a reader for awhile.

I noticed with these new bottles that the dexos certification has disappeared...

I was running harvest king full synth 10w-30 in my new zero turn, and 5w-30 in my 15 F-150 5.0. I'm not scared to continue using it in the mower, but not sure if I should keep using it in my truck without knowing exactly what it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back