New grease gun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of excited, after sitting on the fence over which Lincoln grease gun to purchase I found this ABN brand on amazon for a song. Cast head, flexible and rigid fitting tubes and good reviews. Came today, and it looks VERY decent. While I can't compare it to the lincolns directly it certainly feels like decent quality and heads to tails above the parts stores and HF brand guns I've owned in the past. Particularly impressed with the robust, square cut threading on the body tube; cross thread starts are a thing of the past!

Now, the (contoversial) reason I posted here instead of the Tools section... What to fill it with! Typically I go with Valvoline synpower to balance price, availability, temp range and moly content... but I don't have any right now. I do have a mostly new (scooped some out by hand to fill a smaller gun) SuperLube grease in the 14oz cartridge. Its gc-lb rated, has good washout numbers (3% IIRC) but the timken OK is only 40lbs. I will use this for 99% suspension and steering joints, very likely to OCCASIONALLY see a universal when working on someone else vehicles and rarely if ever would it NEED to be used on wheel bearings. Also needs to be totally compatible with li-complex grease (wider compatibility always better).

Thoughts on the new gun or what to load it with?

I have two Lincoln grease guns, the lever, and pistol grip with flexible hoses on them. They've been great, although I do prefer the pistol grip version. I use Mobil 1 grease in both of them now. I was using RL grease in one and Mobil 1 in the other.

DO NOT put Mobil 1 grease in it.. (unless you want red dyed watery oil all over the place that will never come off whatever it touches)

Couldn't find ABN gun on Amazon. Could you provide a link, pls? I have guns from Lincoln US, Lincoln India, some other India guns, Australia and Switzerland. The one from Australia is the best in my hands. Grease from Mobil, Chevron, Valvoline, Lubrication Engineers. There is a lot of good grease products out there.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Couldn't find ABN gun on Amazon. Could you provide a link, pls? I have guns from Lincoln US, Lincoln India, some other India guns, Australia and Switzerland. The one from Australia is the best in my hands. Grease from Mobil, Chevron, Valvoline, Lubrication Engineers. There is a lot of good grease products out there.

Sure, here: http://a.co/ch3PXGx

And it looks like Synpower will be going in. Had an Amazon add-on tube for 6 bucks in the cart which the wife ordered with new sheets
smile.gif
Not as cheap as, say, JT-6 but I know it works well for me.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
DO NOT put Mobil 1 grease in it.. (unless you want red dyed watery oil all over the place that will never come off whatever it touches)

Lol this is very true and echoed all over the Internet. There is something odd about the Mobil1 grease that makes it separate out over time regardless of storage conditions.

But it's a good grease if you don't need moly fortification.

I just keep my grease gun laying in a shallow baking pan and it catches the run off.

At least the mobil 1 does not dry out. I had some superlube that would sporadically stop pumping cause it had thickened. Store the M1 in a place where a drip wont be a problem.

So, if the oil separates from the grease, and leaks out, and the oil is what does the lubricating........ Seems like your floor would be well lubricated while the machine that was greased is now just gooey??

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Lol this is very true and echoed all over the Internet. There is something odd about the Mobil1 grease that makes it separate out over time regardless of storage conditions.

But it's a good grease if you don't need moly fortification.

I just keep my grease gun laying in a shallow baking pan and it catches the run off.

I had no problems Red Line and Mobil 1 grease, go figure.

Being I don't have 3 hands like most people
grin.gif
. I bought one of these because of the frustration of regular grease guns. 120 volt grease gun I didn't need the added aggravation of replacing batteries As I am always around a electrical outlet. Under my motor home alone is 22 zerks which is a pain. Then my tractor has around 14. Then there is all of the small stuff. I'm glad I went this way.

Originally Posted By: ofelas
buck91 hows that ABN gun working out for you, whats the hose rating (the gun claims 8k psi).

Thx

Haven't had to use it yet. Only vehicle we have with zerks now is my Mustang (sold the Olds) so the irony is in how little use it will see.

I was going to buy that ABN grease gun, but wanted to buy one locally, so I could return it.

O'Reilly auto parts sent me a $5 of $5 coupon, so I put it to use at O'Reilly on a Performance Tool Part #W54204 grease gun. It's working good so far, and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Can return it to the store if it is defective, and since the purchase is in their computer I don't need the receipt either.

The hose is rated for 3,000 PSI, but it's doing the job so far. Loaded it with Valvoline Ford with moly for suspension and steering parts. You can find them online cheaper, but with the coupon I had, and O'Reilly will warranty right it in the store, so it was an easy choice to buy it at O'Reilly.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...0&ppt=C0369

Grease that seperates a bit is a better quality grease. I have used M1 grease for years and don't have that separating thing because I don't leave pressure on the gun when not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back