New GM Recall of 6 Million Pickups and SUVs for Takata Inflator

It could take years to fix, just like it did for other brands. It took years to address the airbag recall in my father's Subaru. Time will tell.

Just had my 2013 Tahoe passenger airbag replaced under this recall. I called to verify with the dealer, they ordered the airbag and it came in in less than a week. The job itself only took about an hour.

Just had my 2013 Tahoe passenger airbag replaced under this recall. I called to verify with the dealer, they ordered the airbag and it came in in less than a week. The job itself only took about an hour.
Isn't it a sin that an 8 year old vehicle just had the airbag replaced, and in some states they'll make you take a vehicle off the road if it fails an emissions check for something like a small EVAP leak if you don't get it fixed within a certain period of time? Yet you can drive around with a bomb in the steering wheel that can kill you if it's a defect. I realize there aren't enough airbags to go around, but this still leaves me scratching my head!

They do in Idaho. It’s the high temp, high humidity areas that are having the problem. East Texas and Florida come to mind. If you have alligators, you better get your air bag changed. :p
uh oh haha I still need to call a local dealer to have mine checked. I'm in the south, it's humid and wet out right now.

I keep getting mail from BMW to do mine.

I don’t drive the car a ton, and don’t have a huge concern. Plus, since airbags have a shelf life, waiting is a good thing. I’ll probably do it in the spring.

The amount of mail they send is crazy. I even got something by fedex with a giant color print of an airbag (life size), pleading with me to change it.

My car was safely parked. With Covid, not many places to go that I can’t bike to.

Article said:
Despite the automaker's multiple appeals to the NHTSA, this new regulation will cost the company around $1.2 billion.

Wait, if this is a supplier issue - as in the supplier provided faulty components to GM - how is it that GM is footing the bill?

Wait, if this is a supplier issue - as in the supplier provided faulty components to GM - how is it that GM is footing the bill?
Good point. The government doesn't care, the ultimate responsibility for the vehicles is the automaker which is the reason GM has to make the repairs and then charge back to suppliers the costs encurred. Problem is I think Takata is bankrupt or near to it so cost recovery is very difficult or impossible.

Good point. The government doesn't care, the ultimate responsibility for the vehicles is the automaker which is the reason GM has to make the repairs and then charge back to suppliers the costs encurred. Problem is I think Takata is bankrupt or near to it so cost recovery is very difficult or impossible.
The foreign supplier, Takata, has gone bankrupt. Here is what Takata had to say on this very important matter:

I thought Takata, along with their liabilities, was bought over by a Chinese company?

Back