New generator oil?

I just picked up a new North Star 13kw gen. It has a Honda GX630 engine. They ship it without oil. Manual says 5w30 synthetic. What oil would you guys suggest? Thanks!

If easily obtained, a full saps Euro oil in 5W30.

If you like to be different and don't mind spending an extra buck:

10W30 Rotella T5. If this is a backup generator go ahead and pick up a battery tender if you don't already have one. Those little U1 batteries (or whatever small size it takes) love to be dead when you need 'em.

Don't overthink it . Find a 5-30 synthetic oil and roll with it . Your generator will never know the difference .

10W 30 small engine oil from Amsoil is my preferred protection in mine. Never burns oil and the added protection sure is a plus when the power is out for 3-4 days!

My plan is to use Castrol 5w30 A3/B4 or Rotella T6 5w30 “MV” to be warranty compliant.

Once out of warranty, I plan to use any A3/B4 or HDEO synthetic.

I just picked up a new North Star 13kw gen. It has a Honda GX630 engine. They ship it without oil. Manual says 5w30 synthetic. What oil would you guys suggest? Thanks!
That's odd, because Honda recommends 10w-30 for that engine. If it were me I would use Mobil1 10w-30 High Mileage with 3.5 HTHS viscosity as a bare minimum. In your climate a 15w-40 with HTHS of 3.7 or grater would make even more sense. Skip the 5w-30 unless you think it will need to start at or below 20 F.

Back