Cummins home generator oil

GB540

Generator is a Cummins C20 N6HC, 20KW propane, air-cooled.

The owner's manual calls for 0W-30, "Full synthetic gasoline engine oil which meets or exceeds API service SN/SN-RC and ILSAC GF-5".

Does Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 meet this spec? Bottle says ACEA C3, and for API the data sheet just says "API SN Engine Test Requirements" (emphasis mine).

Engine has no catalyst etc. to be concerned with, BUT does run at a continuous 3600 rpm under heavy load. Wondering if the Mobil is suitable/superior, or if I should find an oil specifically meeting "SN/SN-RC and ILSAC GF-5".

This area will see runs of -25F mornings, and generator has the oil heater kit to help with that. We'll turn off the weekly auto-exercise in those conditions, so it's not running unless necessary.

I'm ok with the 0W-30 part, just wondering if the ACEA C3 and "API SN Engine Test Requirements" compares to the OE spec and is suitable for the internals. Yeah immediate 3600 on cold start then full load as soon as the RPMs stabilize is pretty cringe-worthy, but I see welding machines go thousands of hours in the same service so other manufactures make it work.

Just use the M1 0-30w. I've been using the 0-30w M1 in my Generac for 10 years now no issue in temps from -30f to 90f.
I run the exercise cycle, it's there for a reason, and if the exercise cycle doesn't run it will tip you off to a problem before you need power.

This area will see runs of -25F mornings, and generator has the oil heater kit to help with that. We'll turn off the weekly auto-exercise in those conditions, so it's not running unless necessary.

I'm ok with the 0W-30 part, just wondering if the ACEA C3 and "API SN Engine Test Requirements" compares to the OE spec and is suitable for the internals. Yeah immediate 3600 on cold start then full load as soon as the RPMs stabilize is pretty cringe-worthy, but I see welding machines go thousands of hours in the same service so other manufactures make it work.
Another option would be this 0W30 grade from HPL:

What oil filter does it run?

Their proprietary with no interchange. I could probably size up something, but when even Wix doesn't have an equivalent there's likely a good reason for it (odd internal valve, who knows).

So unless someone screams "DON'T", I'll go with the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 for now because (A) it at least meets the API SN test requirements, (B) it's available locally, and (C) household politics of "They wouldn't sell it if it wasn't any good!". :rolleyes:

I have run the ESP 0W-30 in my Saturn.

Ran very well. I think it carries a light duty diesel rating too…

Only problem is the cost. Keep an eye on NAPA, I have picked up quarts on sale for $5.99…

What does API SN engine test requirements mean? It meets API SN requirements, but isn’t technically approved? I don’t get it.

Is a 0w30 your only option? If out of warranty, I would definitely go with M1 0w40.

What does API SN engine test requirements mean? It meets API SN requirements, but isn’t technically approved? I don’t get it.

Same here, and maybe time for a new thread on this!

Think we're into the whole "meets", "approved", "recommended" etc. language. And "test requirements" is a new one for me as well.

I ran 0-40w M1 in my Generac and had the pressed in oil cooler metal pipe to hose adaptor blow out of the adaptor body. Not sure if oil related with the heavier than spec. top number 30w. Had the 0-40w on hand for my snowmobiles is the only reason I used it.
No more issues in the years afterwards using the 0-30w. I would not use a 40w unless you are in the south where it never really gets cold.

Same here, and maybe time for a new thread on this!

Think we're into the whole "meets", "approved", "recommended" etc. language. And "test requirements" is a new one for me as well.
It if meets it, why don’t they just slap the approval on it.

Honestly, I blame the EPA. The manufacturer would likely want as many approvals as possible. Something is preventing them from doing that. Maybe the C automatically disqualifies it?

Back