new gas station tanks: break-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A local gas station just got renovated-- new pumps, tanks, and an anti-rain canopy. I drove by daily so I know their progress. The price is back on the sign so I assume they're pumping fuel again.

Is there anything I should be neurotic about? I picture cosmoline or such lining the new tanks. I was going to give the place a week or two to pump out whatever extra may be in there. Am I nuts? It's gulf 87 octane gasoline, if it matters and the station should be high-volume.

The new tanks should be the spun fiberglass tanks, which are sealed until installation.

The sump pipes are off the floor of the tank so nothing should get sucked up and into the nozzle. Besides, on most gas station pumps there is at leat one "last-ditch" filter somewhere.

Depends. Is it an underground storage tank or above ground storage tank??? Not all tanks are fiberglass, as they have had problems in high water table areas and do not hold up well to stress, even the reinforced ones.

around here in michigan, I have never heard of any station putting fiberglass tanks in the ground.

Everything i've seen were steel tanks.

quote:

Originally posted by rockerc:
around here in michigan, I have never heard of any station putting fiberglass tanks in the ground.

Everything i've seen were steel tanks.

I am sure the gas tank I saw blowing up Wyoming just north of Warren Avenue in 1971 was fiberglass. The dispatcher at the Dearborn Police suggested I was in trouble if they didn't find one in the street. It blew away in a bad storm, from a gas station under construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back