New FRAM Extra Guard oil filter video. From Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted by zvm77us
Ed,
If Trico is cheaping out on quality staff like Jay I can only imagine where the quality of their filters will be heading.

It worries me too.

I have, for a long time, had a lot of faith in the Fram Ultra, etc., but after receiving the message from Jay...I'm starting to think harder about that.

Ed

Change doesn't automatically mean a company will head in the wrong direction after it.

Maybe true at times.... But letting people go because they make too much $$$.... Is garbage in my opinion.

That behavior pattern does indicate something is amiss in that circumstance.

My step father worked at the oil refinery in Yorktown Va... Under Amoco then BP, then Giant and then Western... Never got let go obviously and... Did not get a cut in salary... in fact made more money as time went on with those changes.

I am not purchasing Fram oil filters.... Because I don't like how that was handled. You vote with your money... And those number2 exits lost my vote.

Good points.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted by zvm77us
Ed,
If Trico is cheaping out on quality staff like Jay I can only imagine where the quality of their filters will be heading.

It worries me too.

I have, for a long time, had a lot of faith in the Fram Ultra, etc., but after receiving the message from Jay...I'm starting to think harder about that.

Ed

Change doesn't automatically mean a company will head in the wrong direction after it.

Maybe true at times.... But letting people go because they make too much $$$.... Is garbage in my opinion.

That behavior pattern does indicate something is amiss in that circumstance.

My step father worked at the oil refinery in Yorktown Va... Under Amoco then BP, then Giant and then Western... Never got let go obviously and... Did not get a cut in salary... in fact made more money as time went on with those changes.

I am not purchasing Fram oil filters.... Because I don't like how that was handled. You vote with your money... And those number2 exits lost my vote.

Yup, I don't know the guys on the way out nor the ones coming in. As long as the product remains high quality, I'll buy. I'm not here to involve myself in corporate politics, rumor or bashing based on the first two. But for those who are "in the know" and are now anti-Fram, that's your right too. I'd feel the same way if it were someone known to me.

I don't believe it is not really corporate politics... Or rumor...

It is how someone conducts themselves and how they conduct themselves in regards how they do things to others....

Easy to say it was not my.... We have to think outside of ourselves at times. Because certain actions should possibly not be thought well of.

I am not trying to give you a hard time here... Just trying to give you something to think about...

Just like people in our country who don't want to buy products made in say whatever other country... Because that company let everyone go in this country and took their manufacturing over somewhere else... It is how they do things... That should concern us. How many positions have been lost in the past 4 plus decades due to circumstance happening??

I had a 23 year veto of running Exxon gasoline... Due to what happened in Valdez. I stopped it due in large part thinking of how things were handled in our nation's leadership in regards to how they decided to specify taxing Exxon... Which I thought was candidly not a right thing to do. I have bought a lot of ExxonMobil gas in the past several years.

Anyway... I hope you have a good day today wemay. I am not meaning to give you a hard time here... I am just thinking about how we (myself included) may need to think about certain circumstances that happen at times. It is always good to see you on here. You are one of the numerous good guys on here.

I don't believe it is not really corporate politics... Or rumor...

It is how someone conducts themselves and how they conduct themselves in regards how they do things to others....

Easy to say it was not my.... We have to think outside of ourselves at times. Because certain actions should possibly not be thought well of.

I am not trying to give you a hard time here... Just trying to give you something to think about...

Just like people in our country who don't want to buy products made in say whatever other country... Because that company let everyone go in this country and took their manufacturing over somewhere else... It is how they do things... That should concern us. How many positions have been lost in the past 4 plus decades due to circumstance happening??

I had a 23 year veto of running Exxon gasoline... Due to what happened in Valdez. I stopped it due in large part thinking of how things were handled in our nation's leadership in regards to how they decided to specify taxing Exxon... Which I thought was candidly not a right thing to do. I have bought a lot of ExxonMobil gas in the past several years.

Anyway... I hope you have a good day today wemay. I am not meaning to give you a hard time here... I am just thinking about how we (myself included) may need to think about certain circumstances that happen at times. It is always good to see you on here. You are one of the numerous good guys on here.

I completely agree with you bbhero, if I knew all the facts from both sides. My stance is I don't know how the acquisition was carried out and why some folks were let go other than those being let go sharing their side of the story. The other side has not been heard. I can't make a judgment call that way. Now, if I personally knew someone involved, human nature and sensibilities would play a larger role because of a natural bias towards that person. Or, if some trusted investigative journalism uncovered a nefarious process I just don't stand for.

I used to work for a pacemaker company out of college named Cordis Corp. Johnsons & Johnsons bought us out and promptly fired our entire department for "financial reasons like those stated above" was the line being towed in the hallways. But in reality, the jobs lost were redundant to the folks moving in. Most of the line workers remained and today, the quality of that product has actually improved. Corporate acquisition is, in many ways, a dirty way of life and we each pick our battles. I am very empathetic to any good person losing their job but I cannot live my life fighting all those wars, investigating whether mismanagement played a part or not and basing my purchase decision for every product I buy on how the mother company acquired said product. Besides, I'm sure other good people remain and new ones were hired. Such is the way of corporate life, unfortunately.

Now, if quality takes a hit...all bets are off. FRAM has yet to take that hit. Time will tell.

Good discussion my friend.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Whatever Trico makes I will avoid now. MK aged quite a lot. I don't like the center tube and end cap interface on the EG and TG. About time they upgrade the design. If these were one cent at WM I still wouldn't take one. Trico gets free Fram reps here, that's the way to do it to save paying employees. All lightheartedly said but there is some seriousness seeing an older man fired only because of wages.
49.gif

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Whatever Trico makes I will avoid now. MK aged quite a lot. I don't like the center tube and end cap interface on the EG and TG. About time they upgrade the design. If these were one cent at WM I still wouldn't take one. Trico gets free Fram reps here, that's the way to do it to save paying employees. All lightheartedly said but there is some seriousness seeing an older man fired only because of wages.
49.gif

This^
X100

People even mention filters anymore theres a flock of birds screaming "ULTRA! ULTRA!"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
49.gif

Lots of great filters on the market to choose from. I've read from purveyors of each on this board, nothing wrong with that.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
People even mention filters anymore theres a flock of birds screaming "ULTRA! ULTRA!"

Well, it is a good filter for a decent price for that level of a filter. So obviously many use it. Nothing wrong with that and saying so. It's just funny that some people get upset when certain brands are mentioned.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

Well, it is a good filter for a decent price for that level of a filter. So obviously many use it. Nothing wrong with that and saying so. It's just funny that some people get upset when certain brands are mentioned.

It is a good filter, yes. I'm not knocking that. I've used them many times before.
But this forum is turning into an endorsement for that filter.
If you're doing anything other than 15K ocis, or multiple ocis with the same filter, it's a waste imo.

99+% that's cool, a tough guard is cheaper and 99%, an extra guard is 95%

That's 999.X/1000 microns for the Ultra, 999/1000 for the tg, and 950/1000 for the extra.

All filters are good, but as weve seen on here, tough guards can be had cheaper and can go just as far on a clean engine with minimal variances in specs, and now the extra guard can go 10k or OEM rec.

So, is the ultra, being double the price of the extended guard, really worth double the price for an extra 050.X/1000 microns?

Is that 5% more really going to increase the longevity of your engine?

Last edited:
Not everyone buys an oil filter based on efficiency alone, but it is a big factor for many. There are also other factors involved. So far, people in the USA are still free to buy (and recommend) whatever they want based on the technical information about a product from the manufacturer and from people's experiences using said products. As long as people think they are happy with what they buy and use based on whatever their reasons are, then it's all good. Some people aren't as "ROI concerned" as others. And that goes for a lot of things people buy, not just oil filters.

I was one of those guys who used to rag on Fram. But now after gaining a bit of perspective,they're a great filter for their intended purpose. The Ultra variant is still one of my favs.

I would use a Fram Extra Guard for up to 5,000 miles on a normal street car... it's not a bad filter, just not the best either.
Use a Fram Extra Guard for 10,000 miles? Not me.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
That guy has huge ears.

Fram listens to its customers... so I hear.

Most of you guys here know I'm not a fram oil filter guys . Every time I grap an orange can . I always note overly glue . The cheap metal . Dark and dirty

Last week I visit Mississippi and doing some oil change on family cars . for the first time in my life . I grap an orange can and note how clean and shiny the metal is . No messy glue . All look like is a quality filter support to look like , some how I feel good using this filter so I grap 3 orange can for 3 different cars . Look like them fram spell finally break on me
thumbsup2.gif
After 10+ years lol

D40D3B17-DA5A-4573-8CA8-44A786BEEF6D.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back