New Ford Spec for Ecoboost 3-cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read an article in the Latest LnG about Castrol BP and Ford developing a new oil spec. WSS M2C948 B which was based off of the ACEA C2 oil sequence.

Key attributes:
.9 fuel economy improvement over current 5w20

Also looks like it will primarily be a GroupIII based as they didn't find much more performance in a PAO vs the cost. Interesting as this small 1.0 liter engine makes more power per liter than the 6 cylinder ecoboost engines.

It's interesting that the recommended oil change interval is 20,000 km or one year. Which is pretty good for a turbo charged direct injection engine.

Yep interesting spec but this has been posted a few times and discussed in a few threads. Curious to see if it will replace 5-30 spec in the us.

The big question that I have is price.

If an age where people can't afford a 20 buck oil change, it's going to be an issue if it comes out like a higher priced syn.

As long as Ford doesn't try to "dexos" it....

What is an Ecoboost 3-Cylinder?

And, the spec is 5w-30 oil for the Ecoboost, not 5w-20. So,
is the article talking about dropping the spec to 5w-20??

Originally Posted By: rossn2
What is an Ecoboost 3-Cylinder?

And, the spec is 5w-30 oil for the Ecoboost, not 5w-20. So,
is the article talking about dropping the spec to 5w-20??

Your questions are answered in the article, theres a few threads with the article. A new 5-20 spec for Europe.

Last edited:
Great, Mercedes has a new spec and now so does Ford. As all these new specs come out the prices for all oil suffers as the price for R&D gets covered. also since there is no bulk production of one weight / spec the prices will pretty much stay high across the board.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
The big question that I have is price.

If an age where people can't afford a 20 buck oil change, it's going to be an issue if it comes out like a higher priced syn.

As long as Ford doesn't try to "dexos" it....

It seems to me if you can't afford an oil change then how can you afford a car. I never worried about the price of oil.

Quote:

If someone cant afford a $20 oil change a couple of times a year they have no business owning a car never mind a new car.
If someone is that broke a bus pass, bicycle or shoe leather is a better investment.

What am i saying? We have those people around here and they all drive Escalades and rent section 8 apartments.

Interesting that some of those folks who can't afford a $20 oil change can afford a $5.00/day smoking habit and drinks at the local tavern on Friday and Saturday night.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Interesting that some of those folks who can't afford a $20 oil change can afford a $5.00/day smoking habit and drinks at the local tavern on Friday and Saturday night.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

On another note, even though oil prices are skyrocketing, I don't mind paying more for a quality lubricant that is capable of doing a long OCI in a powerful motor.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

Couldn't have said it better myself.

On another note, even though oil prices are skyrocketing, I don't mind paying more for a quality lubricant that is capable of doing a long OCI in a powerful motor.

+1. I started 10K OCIs in 78 with M1 when it was $5 a qt.

It does not surprise me to see Ford looking towards new requirements. Car manufacturers will be looking for any possible solution to achieving higher mpg standards that the both the Obama Administration laid out, and what consumer want.

As far as oil prices; The majority of price increases we are seeing is largely due to inflation, not purely big business increasing spending. I cannot stress enough how out of control inflation is right now. But I digress. This is not the time or place for that conversation.

Yeah but that's not throwing away money like an oil change now is it?
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: D189379
3cyl sump + Turbo + direct injection = 20,000Km intervals? I'll pass.

It sounds to me like it'll be more for the European market at first. they drive more pocket rockets due to the price of fuel and the crowded driving conditions in many cities. JMO of course. I honestly don't see too many Americans over 25 yrs old to go for them (possibly retirees too) unless gas gets REALLY expensive.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I bet Ford will reduce the OCI to 10k miles for NA market to match Toyota. Plus 12.5k miles (20k km) does not make an easy number to remember.

I would guess they would have a MM or OLM built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back