Store motor oil in water bottle?

I'd just buy a qt (or L?) of oil to keep in the vehicle and save the rest of your 5L for next oil change. I too, like keeping things in their proper labeled containers.
I agree.
It's best to keep any liquid in its original container.

If I kept an extra qt of oil in my vehicle, I would place it in a small Pail so if it did leak, it would be contained.

I keep leftover oil in a 2L Coke bottle (x2), then use it for top off as needed. It's easier to pour without spilling, compared to most motor oil quart bottles, IMHO. Obviously the coke bottles were thoroughly cleaned before using, and have seen nothing but motor oil for the past 6+ months.

I am in agreement with those that say only use an oil container for oil.
If you are needing top up, just buy a qt and keep that in the car, then refill that.

I have a qt bottle under the hood of my truck. It has been in there for 3-4 years, I just keep topping it off. It is a thicker Havoline bottle that seems a little more heavy duty than some other oil bottles. I have some Castrol qt bottles that felt very flimsy and would not keep those in an area that gets hot, but would keep them in a trunk (in a baggie just in case it leaks).

If you had to use a different bottle, I am in the camp of using some type of sports drink bottle, those tend to be thicker bottles and tend to seal better than many thin water bottles. Just make sure to label it.

Don’t put chemicals or other non-consumable products into water or soda bottles. Keep it in the original container.

there was a story around here last year. Guy put washer fluid in a quart Gatorade bottle and his younger kid found it and didn’t know any different and drank some.

Make sure you get one that's BPA free. Don't want any phytoestrogens in your engine.
1621377558042.jpg

Back