New Ford 1.5L Ecoboost Engine

how new? I thought this was out in the escape years ago?. and wasnt much better than the 1.6L it replaced.

how new? I thought this was out in the escape years ago?. and wasnt much better than the 1.6L it replaced.
This is the 1.5L 3 cyl engine. You're referring to the previous 1.5L 4 cyl.
I've driven the 3 cyl in the 2020 Escape. Totally unremarkable, as it should be, imo. Gets the job done.

This 1.5 3 cyl. turbo is used in the latest Fiesta ST in Europe and it seems to be well liked.
Unfortunately Ford won't sell it here.

Wow, the article posted mentions it has Cylinder deactivation on a 3 cylinder engine. How much fuel savings is there shutting off 1 cylinder and running on 2?
There are many claims of significant efficiency gains WHEN deactivating cylinders. Some European manufacturers claim as high as 32% on certain engines. GM claims about 8% on some of it's engines. The gains come largely from reducing pumping losses, as the throttle plate can be opened more, reducing the work the engine has to perform creating a vacuum in the intake manifold.

I would have guessed that Ford's 3 cylinder engine disables all 3 cylinders in a pattern that results in equality. But it seems that they only disable cylinder #1.

If I were to guess, I'd say BSFC improvements by disabling one cylinder are on the order of 5%. Furthermore, it's a small turbocharged engine that works hard, how often do you think 2 cylinder mode will be active?

Reading up on this engine in the Escape, it achieves about 25mpg in real life mixed driving. About exactly the same as my old 1989 Bronco II, or for that matter, exactly the same as Ford's original SUV, the Model T.

The good news is that a well designed 3 cylinder engine is often much more pleasant than a droning 4 cylinder.

The good news is that a well designed 3 cylinder engine is often much more pleasant than a droning 4 cylinder.
I would like to hear more about this statement. Firing every 90 degrees for a 4 cylinder, and 120 degrees for a 3 cylinder often relates to the 4 cylinder seeming much more refined and smooth. I have heard nothing but the opposite you suggest, but I'm happy to learn!

Wow, the article posted mentions it has Cylinder deactivation on a 3 cylinder engine. How much fuel savings is there shutting off 1 cylinder and running on 2?
For a throttle controlled engine - it can be significant.

I need to make XX horsepower to keep this car moving at 65 mph.

HP is directly related to air into and out of the engine.

Just as example...

To make XX hp in 3 cylinder mode, I need to have my throttle bodies open at 20%, resulting in a high restriction of the airflow into the engine.

To make the same XX hp in two cylinder mode, I can now open one cylinder completely (little restriction) and increase the throttle opening on the other two cylinders, resulting in lower pumping losses as well as increased thermal efficiency.

There are many claims of significant efficiency gains WHEN deactivating cylinders. Some European manufacturers claim as high as 32% on certain engines. GM claims about 8% on some of it's engines. The gains come largely from reducing pumping losses, as the throttle plate can be opened more, reducing the work the engine has to perform creating a vacuum in the intake manifold.

I would have guessed that Ford's 3 cylinder engine disables all 3 cylinders in a pattern that results in equality. But it seems that they only disable cylinder #1.

If I were to guess, I'd say BSFC improvements by disabling one cylinder are on the order of 5%. Furthermore, it's a small turbocharged engine that works hard, how often do you think 2 cylinder mode will be active?

Reading up on this engine in the Escape, it achieves about 25mpg in real life mixed driving. About exactly the same as my old 1989 Bronco II, or for that matter, exactly the same as Ford's original SUV, the Model T.

If I was only getting 25mpg with a 1.5 three banger I would be disappointed.

I’m pretty sure my wife’s CRV plays throttle games like cujet is suggesting. It’s got the CVT and most of the time I feel like it first biases towards an open throttle plate and then controls acceleration by where it sticks the engine in its power curve. For example, until you get above 45 or so, the engin always sits around 1200 to 1400 rpm. I suspect it’s close to wot a lot during casual acceleration but you don’t know it because the cvt keeps the rpms depressed. I personally like it- it’s like driving a small diesel- and the around town mileage of this well-sized UV is around 25-27, can’t beat that, and it’s NA.

I would like to hear more about this statement. Firing every 90 degrees for a 4 cylinder, and 120 degrees for a 3 cylinder often relates to the 4 cylinder seeming much more refined and smooth. I have heard nothing but the opposite you suggest, but I'm happy to learn!
Many people dislike the drone of 4 cylinder engines. The 3 cylinder offerings typically have a more unrefined note, but no drone. Many people prefer the sound of 3 cylinder engines, heck even the magazines such as Car n Driver praise the 3 cylinder exhaust note and overall sound as a growl instead of a drone.

Obviously, manufacturers can tune a vehicle to sound good, AND much of it is personal preference. But I've got to admit, the 3 cylinder vehicles I've rented, all had a pleasant growl.

Many people dislike the drone of 4 cylinder engines. The 3 cylinder offerings typically have a more unrefined note, but no drone. Many people prefer the sound of 3 cylinder engines, heck even the magazines such as Car n Driver praise the 3 cylinder exhaust note and overall sound as a growl instead of a drone.

Obviously, manufacturers can tune a vehicle to sound good, AND much of it is personal preference. But I've got to admit, the 3 cylinder vehicles I've rented, all had a pleasant growl.

Yea my 3cyl turbo oddly has more "growl" than a N/A 4cyl. It sounds closer to a diesel in a sedan than any other engine.

I guess it is more of a frequency statement...like the people who prefer the sound/experience of a V-twin over a 4 cylinder motorcycle. The 4 cylinder will almost always be more smooth and quiet "on paper", yet folks will prefer the sound and experience of the V-twin.

Tricky question about the sound. These days you don't know how much comes from the engine, or is faked into the stereo!
Yeah, you are not kidding! There was even a Japanese exhaust manufacturer that can make a normal engine sound like an F1 car! So it's not just inside that car that has "altered sound".

If Ford put a version of this 1.5T with mild boost into the Focus and sold it with the 6spd A/T (instead of the disastrous DCT) it would sell very well IMO....

Back