New Edelbrock VRS-4150 Four-Circuit Carburetor

I hope it's better than their Performer series carbs. I bought two different new ones back in the day and could never get either one to work right on two different Chevy engines. One a small block and one a big block. I spent hours on the phone with Edelbrock tech and even took it to several shops with no luck. Tried different jets and metering rods with no luck.

I will say that the Edelbrock Q-jet that I bought new is a great carb and is still on the 396 BB in my 70 Monte and has been for almost 25 years.

Cost comes to mind... FI generally requires high pressure fuel delivery which can be a costly change to carb based vehicles.
New pump and a few fuel lines. Sure they cost more than the old engine-driven pump, but still not insane. Figure $200 for the pump and lines.

I certainly wouldn't do any form of new build with anything other than FI. The systems out there have just gotten too good to mess with carbs, especially on something you intend to daily drive or boost.

But, I guess they figure there's a market out there for it or they wouldn't have done it

I hope it's better than their Performer series carbs. I bought two different new ones back in the day and could never get either one to work right on two different Chevy engines. One a small block and one a big block. I spent hours on the phone with Edelbrock tech and even took it to several shops with no luck. Tried different jets and metering rods with no luck.

I will say that the Edelbrock Q-jet that I bought new is a great carb and is still on the 396 BB in my 70 Monte and has been for almost 25 years.
I had the same problem but on a chassis Dyno.

Reactions: wtd

The old Carter AFBs were good carbs, but the Performers seem to be hit or miss.
For the street, give me a Q-Junk. Lars is the man!

What in the hell is a carburetor?
This is. :LOL:
1651285291935.jpg

I wish I were still wrenching and building engines/hot rods. I would definitely like to try this new carburetor.

I really should have used one on the hotrod 69 MUSTANG i built for my son Philip instead I used Holley, it still ran 186mph

Q-Jets are too complicated. Too many parts. BUT, when one is built and tuned correct, they can't be beat!
Lars Grimsrud reworked the Q-Junk on my L36 Corvette (3.36 Posi). With the aftermarket 16x8 Chrome Ralleys and 255/50/16 Comp TAs, 2nd gear throttle would start to get you sideways.

Back