New Dayco serpentine belt made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped a friend replace the belt on his 2005 Honda Accord 2.4 last night and the belt he got was the more expensive Dayco from Advance Auto. In the past all the Dayco belts/hoses I've gotten have been made in USA or maybe Mexico and I was surprised to see this one was made in China. Is this a new thing or am I just behind? Belt seemed to be good quality, but didn't have the "W" profile that they advertise and I've seen on the USA belts.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-by-dayco-poly-rib-belt-premium-5070700/19270651-P?navigationPath=L1*14920%7CL2*14999%7CL3*15596

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I guess I'll be buying Bando just so I can get something made in USA.

I order Bando's where I can (mostly for all the Asian cars I service). But surprisingly my Tundra uses Dayco tensioner and idler pulleys. Good ol' Made in Texas.

I've actually had trouble with Bando standard V-belts stretching under use, been sticking to Gates or Browning for those. Sorry to see Dayco do that, they were always a good budget alternative to OEM.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
But surprisingly my Tundra uses Dayco tensioner and idler pulleys. Good ol' Made in Texas.

Dayco is an OEM supplier to Toyota's US operations, my parent's Sienna used Dayco belts. You'll get a Mitsuboshi or Bando from the dealer as a service part. I have a Bando and Gates mix on it now.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I've actually had trouble with Bando standard V-belts stretching under use.

The Critic mentioned something like that to me, I've installed a few Bando belts for family and friends and I noticed they have more of a stretch compared to a Gates or Goodyear. My preference is Gates as they seem to be less stretchy but have some give.

While it's very good to support the domestic economy, manufacturing has become global/international. In a sense there is a global economy as well.
This overseas manufacture is not an uncommon practice, even for very reputable brand names. If the factory is fairly new, it will have the latest and greatest machinery and produce quality parts, no matter where it's located. But still, I try to support American workers where I can.

Originally Posted by DGXR
While it's very good to support the domestic economy, manufacturing has become global/international. In a sense there is a global economy as well.
This overseas manufacture is not an uncommon practice, even for very reputable brand names. If the factory is fairly new, it will have the latest and greatest machinery and produce quality parts, no matter where it's located. But still, I try to support American workers where I can.

Very well stated ^^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by bbhero
DGXR said:

I'll pick the US/ Canadian, European, ect over anything from China as long as the quality is good and the price isn't outrageous.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I've actually had trouble with Bando standard V-belts stretching under use, been sticking to Gates or Browning for those. Sorry to see Dayco do that, they were always a good budget alternative to OEM.

I haven't seen a V belt in a car since maybe 1984.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back