New Control Arms Causing Vibration

In this TSB, Subaru suggests installing updated control arm bushings will resolve a steering wheel vibration issue. They attribute this to a defect in the material used.

1635267975232.jpg

I recently installed Moog front lower control arms on a 2008 Camry. The original Toyota control arms were replaced due to some bushing deterioration, but the vehicle drove fine. An alignment was part of the service.

After the new control arms were installed, when driving at highway speeds above 70 mph, there is a noticeable steering wheel vibration. All fasteners were rechecked, no issues were found. The bushings are not damaged or separated. The only conclusion I can come to is that Moog used a material that is either too stiff (or too soft) for the application. Thoughts?

I suppose too stiff is possible but I'd wonder if you have an unbalanced wheel and the old bushings were dampening more of that due to being worn out. Either that or the alignment was not done correctly. Swapping the wheels front to rear should help determine if it's the wheel.

I suppose too stiff is possible but I'd wonder if you have an unbalanced wheel and the old bushings were dampening more of that due to being worn out. Either that or the alignment was not done correctly. Swapping the wheels front to rear should help determine if it's the wheel.
Alignment was fine.

I actually bought new tires as well (since the old ones were low) and the condition did not change.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Moog used a material that is either too stiff (or too soft) for the application. Thoughts?
I would say that is a reasonable conclusion. I learned a long time ago to use OE only if it is possible when it comes to control arms. By the time you exchange them a few times under the warranty merry-go-round and align the front end the same number of times the OE begins to look like the inexpensive option.

Or...the new Moog parts are fine, and other front end parts are now showing their weakness.

Or...the new Moog parts are fine, and other front end parts are now showing their weakness.
You will have to help me understand how "weak" tie rods, ball joints and struts can cause a front-end vibration.

None of the front end components have any play.

Unless it was an in-house Moog designed part(like the pillow joint compliance bushings for some Toyotas) or something that Clevite Polymers makes(also a part of the FM Motorparts-Tenneco-Driv spectrum), the bushing is whatever they can get from Taiwan or China whose Shore hardness isn’t a match for OEM.

Personally, I would check to see if there's a rotor on the car that has an issue.
I've tracked many a vibration down to brake rotors in need of a cleanup cut.

Probably poor quality. I don’t think too stiff is an issue. Polyurethane bushings are very popular among track crowd and they never cause any issues other than bit stiffer but more controlled ride. So, soft? Maybe. Or just bad rubber quality.
I go Lamfoerder or OE (for European vehicles). On my Toyota I think left bushing is done together with strut so I will go strictly OE bushings. Not sure what would be OE supplier for Toyota?

In this TSB, Subaru suggests installing updated control arm bushings will resolve a steering wheel vibration issue. They attribute this to a defect in the material used.

View attachment 75602
I recently installed Moog front lower control arms on a 2008 Camry. The original Toyota control arms were replaced due to some bushing deterioration, but the vehicle drove fine. An alignment was part of the service.

After the new control arms were installed, when driving at highway speeds above 70 mph, there is a noticeable steering wheel vibration. All fasteners were rechecked, no issues were found. The bushings are not damaged or separated. The only conclusion I can come to is that Moog used a material that is either too stiff (or too soft) for the application. Thoughts?

I have seen many issues over the years when using none oem arms, as the bushings are usually never the "same" . Pull under braking/accel(when only one is changed), and vibration issues. We always try to steer customers to oem.

On control arms I usually leave them loose and set vehicle on blocks then torque after a few bounces. What I found if not done this way vibrations can occur as well as short life of bushings. Something to check. Don't recommend as better with alignment rack

Last edited:
On control arms I usually leave them loose and set vehicle on blocks then torque after a few bounces. What I found if not done this way vibrations can occur as well as short life of bushings. Something to check. Don't recommend as better with alignment rack
Yes. On BMW when doing so called thrust arm you have to “load” arm, torque it, than turn one more time 90 degrees. Torquing without loading can strain bushings too much.

I use a pole jack to raise the control arm until the lift arm no longer touches the vehicle.

Personally, I would check to see if there's a rotor on the car that has an issue.
I've tracked many a vibration down to brake rotors in need of a cleanup cut.
Vibration occurs during cruise, not during braking.

And yes, the calipers slide freely.

Yup.
I understand how your first impression about out of round rotors is with brake pulsation while brakes are applied, but they can also transfer vibrations through the brake pads, then through the calipers, and into the steering knuckle, making you think that you have a vibration coming from a steering component instead of the brakes.

Typically happens to cars with ABS systems that occasionally apply a cleaning wipe pressure application while driving.
Some companies call it brake force distribution, others call it brake assist.

Back