New Castrol Syntec 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went to the Castrol USA website and I noticed that Castrol is now producing 5W-20 Syntec.

quote:

NEW! SAE 5W-20: Castrol SYNTEC is the first major full synthetic oil brand to offer a 5W-20 that is specifically formulated to meet the needs of Ford and Honda 5W-20 service. SYNTEC 5W-20 provides excellent cold weather performance and exceeds the stringent performance, fuel economy and fuel economy retention requirements of the upcoming ILSAC GF-4 specification. SYNTEC 5W-20 also meets the stringent Ford WSS-M2C930-A and Ford WSS-M2C153-H specifications, and exceeds all the requirements of ILSAC GF-4 and GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

The really interesting part is that Castrol Syntec 5W-20 "exceeds all the requirements of ILSAC GF-4 and GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils."

web page You will need to click on the picture of the Castrol Syntec bottle and then after downloading the web page click on grades and veiw the pop-up.

[ January 19, 2004, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Thanks for posting this info. If this is a Group III like their other synthetics then this statement is wrong. Pennzoil has had their Group III synthetic out for the past 12 months and it meets the Ford and Honda specs. Since the GF4 rating does not start until this summer, this is an early announcment. There are other synthetics, both Group III and IV that already meet the GF4 spec, but announcments will not be made until June. But for them to say they are the first synthetic with 5W20 is wrong.

first major full synthetic oil brand

The keyword in their statement is "major". They can consider whoever they want as "major".

Once again, Castrol & their engineering umm.. marketing team are hard at work.

Can you point out the link to the Pennzoil full synthetic 5-20 webpage? Thanx.

Johnny, are any of the major chains selling it? I have not seen it in Pep Boys, Advance, Autozone, or Walmart.
dunno.gif

I have not seen it in these accounts either or Wal-Mart. Only our 5W30 and 10W30. I have registered my complaint with our National Account Sales Department. I know if you ask Pep Boys or Autozone, they will order it in for you. But that should not be necessary. It should be on the shelf now. This product has been out for a little over a year now and no one knows it. It's a great product, what a shame. Or should I say shame on us. I use it, I have 13 Ford dealers, 16 Honda dealer, 72 lube centers selling it, but you cannot find a quart of it on a retail shelf. We were the first to come out with it but Castrol might be the first one to hit the retail shelf. I can't wait for retirement.

Johnny is correct....

You can have your local parts store order it, but the major retailers are not carrying it yet....

I have been using it in my 4.6 Cobra since it came out....great oil so far....sorry that I don't have an analysis yet.

I, too, have asked about why it is not getting the exposure it deserves....go to our website Pennzoil and check out the numbers (specs) for yourselves.

[ January 20, 2004, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

We may want to change the title of this post to Pennzoil synthetic 5w20.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I can not find the flash point in the spec. Anyone know what it is? Any chance of a VOA?

[ January 20, 2004, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: MikeySoft ]

I don't have a engine that uses a 20wt oil per sey but I do think the Castrol Syntecs are formulated with an interesting twist and are much better oils than some topics in the past suggest and apparently have undergone a reformulation in the past 6 months " the 10w-40 for one example " .

I wish Castrol would put their typical data sheets online like the HD Lubes Division does .

Never the less I hope some of our Honda and Ford owners that use this new oil will run analysis's on it . In all probability it will show to be an excellent oil .....I hope they post how it smells also
smile.gif
The new 10w-40 smells pretty wild for a supposed inferior primarily group III product . I think not
cool.gif

I'll second that request for a flash point on the pennzoil synthetic. If I knew what that was, I wouldn't think it was embarrasingly low and might go out and try it.
rolleyes.gif

Don't know why it's not posted on the tech sheet, but agree it should be. I was told this evening by our Regional Tech Rep that the flash on the following synthetics are:

5W20 = 440
5W30 = 453
10W30 = 458

Hope that's high enough for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back