New car oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just traded in my 06 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L had 213,000 miles using Amsoil SS 5W-20, Wix filter with no mechanical issues at 15,000 miles oil change intervals for a 2015 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.4L GDI DOHC 4-Cyl D-CVVT engine, Hyundai recommends Quaker State 5W-20 API Service SM*3 or above/ILSAC GF-4 or above/ACEA A5 or above at 3750/6months change intervals,I would like to stay with the Amsoil SS 5W-20 and Amsoil EA15K20 oil filter at 15,000 intervals but I don't know much about this engine

With any new car ALWAYS go by the owners manual for warranty purposes. If they allow conventional oil I would use QSGB for 3750.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist
Extended drains in a car under warranty is ill advised.

Exactly, use something the OEM blesses and follow their OCI to preserve the warranty. Don't rely on an oil company to cover your arse if a problem arises, use what the mfg recommends and follow their recommendations.

Is the 3750 for severe service? You could probably go a little further than that, but if you don't care about your warranty i would advise a UOA with the Amsoil SSO around 7-8k miles to see how its holding up. You will probably not even want to UOA it until you get the break in noise out, so 3-4 OCI @ 3750 should do that.

What did you get for your trade in with over 200k ? I have the same engine and follow the owners manual for normal service with 7,500 miles between oil changes.

Well I guess I'll go with the Amsoil 5W-20 OE for the first 5 OCI at 4000 miles with a Hyundai filter, I read where that 2.4L has had issues with other after market filters, on my 06 Sonata I went with the Amsoil SS 5W-20 at 15,000 miles OCI after my break in till 213,000 and it would use a half qt in 15,000, Thanks for the advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back