New Car Help Which Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought an Infiniti G35 coupe and it is coming up on the first oil change. I want to use a synthetic oil. The manual recommends, but doesn't require, a dino oil. I spoke to the service manager and he said he runs synthetic and there is no real reason to not use it. I have narrowed my choices to Mobil 1 5W-30 or Castrol Syntec 5W-30. I know that the Castrol is not a "true" synthetic but it is ACEA cert A3 and the Mobil is A1. How much consideration should I give to this certification? I really want to use Schaeffer's but it is not available locally and I know that I would not consistently order it. I will not go over 5,000 miles on the oil changes. 4000 is more likely. Any suggestions?

My vote would be with Mobil 1 10w30 instead of the 5w30, since you are in Fla anyway.

I just looked at the manual again and it does say that I can use 10W-30 or 10W-40 if the temp doesn't get below 0!

Wow, thats even better. Well, Im no expert and others may have better advise, but if I lived in Fla, I would put the Mobil 1 0w40 in there!!!

gblrklr,

Castrol Syntec 5W-30 and 10W-30 are rated ACEA A1. The 0W-30 and others are A3.

Why use synthetic if you're going to dump the oil at 4K? Castrol GTX or Chevron Supreme, both 10W-30, should be good for that.

Ken

Ken,
You're right about the ACEA rating. I somehow wound up on a site for Syntec in Austrailia . The 5W-30 is ACEA A3 there. I probably don't have a great reason for using synthetic for such short drains except for the fact that this car is a very fun to drive sports car. The engine may be driven a little harder that the Honda Odyssey we traded in on it. Here is the link. Link

[ April 25, 2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: gblrklr ]

Welcome gblrklr to this great board. You can try both oils. I'm not an expert on this board but just thought of something. Do an UOA on both dino and synthetic at 4,000 intervals. Since, you are changing at that interval. Stay with dino for several 4,000 mile intervals. Do an UOA after each interval. Use Auto-Rx, then switch to synthetic and run for several more intervals to find a trend on how the engine's condition is on both oils.

[ April 25, 2003, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Employee#08 ]

Thanks for the welcome #08. I am really into convienience and simplicity. I know that your suggestions are great and would be the best way to go. I also know me and I know that I will not do that. I think either the 10W-30 or 0W-40 Mobil 1 will be more in line with my level of motivation.

quote:

Originally posted by gblrklr:
Thanks for the welcome #08. I am really into convienience and simplicity. I know that your suggestions are great and would be the best way to go. I also know me and I know that I will not do that. I think either the 10W-30 or 0W-40 Mobil 1 will be more in line with my level of motivation.

gblrklr, I know a lot of people will not go the UOA path. Money and convienience is the main concern with UOA. I'd say you should go with the 10W30 as this oil is on the thicker side of the 30wts from Mobil. Read the UOA on this board for the the 10W30 Mobil 1 for more infoormation. Great car.
smile.gif
Did you test drive the 350Z before you went ahead with the G35 coupe?

I did drive the 350z and the back seat on the G35 made the difference. My wife is the main driver and we have 2 kids so the 350 was not a serious consideration. The G is a great car.

quote:

Originally posted by gblrklr:
I did drive the 350z and the back seat on the G35 made the difference. My wife is the main driver and we have 2 kids so the 350 was not a serious consideration. The G is a great car.

Is the G35 coupe a manual or automatic? Did you think about the G35 sedan?

It is auto. Since my wife is the main driver she got to pick. The dealership had a black on black 6 speed with everything except navigation that I thought we were going to buy. When we got there and drove it we decided that the color and our location wouldn't be the best combination (too hot). The transmission was also a little stiff. With the two kids she thought she would like the auto better. She fell in love with a caribbean blue automatic sitting on the showroom. It was less money too so we got it! We have had it about a month ahd she still hasn't wiped the smile off of her face.

We really didn't consider the sedan. She said she wanted to get as far away from a mini van as she could.
rolleyes.gif
The coupe does have a pretty god sized back seat although the head room isn't as good as the sedan. Perfect for two kids!

[ April 26, 2003, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: gblrklr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Blue Liquid:
Are there any special precautions to take before draining the dino oil and adding the synthetic?

How many miles are on the engine? If it's under 100k and has had regular oil changes so far, just switch and don't worry about it. Just be sure not to exceed about 5 or 6k on the very first synthetic interval.

I'm considering switching my new van ('04 Sienna) to synthetic too to protect the engine a little bit more. I'd like to put in Mobil 1 0W40 however the manual does not indicate that I can do so. The manual says: " use 5w30 and if 5w30 is not available then use 10w30 however it should be switched back to 5w30 at the earliest possible opportunity". Will using 0w40 on my van cause problems in the long run? BTW the G35 is a great car. I'm considering buying one as soon as my Trooper is paid for.
smile.gif

quote:

BTW the G35 is a great car. I'm considering buying one as soon as my Trooper is paid for.

It is one nice car! A local Infinity dealer had a black one with a 6speed manual. Very nice car. The G35 is much nicer looking then the Z. The wheel base is longer in the G35. I like the fact that you can use a 40wt. I'm not sure if I'd use a 10w-30 or 0w-40 in this car. Probably the 10w. Delvac 1 would be nice in the summer if you can fine it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back