New Car - First OCI Subaru Outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a brand new 2016 Outback with a 2.5L four cylinder earlier this year. Subaru recommends OCI of 10,000 km (6200 miles) with OW20 oil. I am still a little old school and I was thinking of doing the first two oil changes at 5000 kms (3100 miles) and then follow the 10K intervals from then on. Any reason that I should not do this? I plan to do my own oil changes, as always, so really the cost is not an issue.

I have been consistently using Mobil 1 0W20 AFE in some of my other vehicles so I have this oil stock piled. Any reason to use the Subaru oil over Mobil? I was planning on using an OEM filter.

I am a long time member who has been inactive on this board for a while, so I may be a little out of the loop which is why I thought I post this question.

Last edited:
M1 0-20AFE is an outstanding oil as you probably already know. I do 10K OCIs in my Fords with great results.

I'd worry more about beating on it a little once FULLY warmed up to seat the rings. You'll be fine at 6200 with your M1 choice after your first change.

I have the same car and did the first change at 781 miles. I know it was crazy but it was jet black. I had it analyzed and it was fine. Id still sneak in the first change at about 1/3 the regular oci then 2/3 on the second which gets you back on the factory schedule.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
I am still a little old school and I was thinking of doing the first two oil changes at 5000 kms (3100 miles) and then follow the 10K intervals from then on. Any reason that I should not do this?

Any reason that you should do this? And don't say to get the metal particles out. It's not 1982.
48.gif
grin2.gif

Not sure about the 0W20 these days, but both the 5W-30 and 0W-20 factory fill from the past few years had additional moly and ZDDP over the service fill. The 5W-30 levels in the regular WRX have been reduced over the years, but not sure about the 0W-20.

Regardless, no worries with leaving it in for the recommended interval.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon

I have been consistently using Mobil 1 0W20 AFE in some of my other vehicles so I have this oil stock piled. Any reason to use the Subaru oil over Mobil?

Nope. Either one is a good choice and M1 wins for cost and availability and using your stockpile.

Congrats on the car!
19.gif

Last edited:
Do the 6,000 as recommended and enjoy the drive. I prefer 0w20 Pennzoil Platinum but, any oil meeting the required spec (owners Manual) will be fine. Ed

Last edited:
I am with the OP, I just feel better getting that "break in" oil out sooner. It will not hurt anything if you do it early, and probably won't help any either (except mentally).

So you're only talking about doing one extra OC at 3,100 miles, then staying on schedule at 6,000 mile intervals? If it makes you feel better, do it. So far as I know the Subaru factory fill is nothing special, like a break in oil would be.

I love my Outback--it's much better on gas than I expected. But mine is leased so I'm sticking to the 6K OCI's. Next time it gets a Fram Ultra 7317.

Congrats on the new Subie. '16 3.6 owner myself.

I did an initial oil change at a litte more than 2k miles with Mobil1 5w-30 (viscosity in the manual) along with the appropriate Fram Ultra filter. I'll run than out to 6k miles, change it into whatever oil I decide to use and start the 6k interval.

I chose not to use the Subie filter and there are diehard Subie owners who insist that you must use a filter that has the high 23 psi bypass and only Subie and I think one other company make one.

Based on the comments here from Motorking who is the Technical Director at Fram, who makes the Subie factory filter, the factor one is produced to Subie specs at their request but in so many words, the high bypass setting isn't needed. Mobil 1 tech support made a similar comment.

Regardless, an early change is fine and congrats on the new Subie.

While waiting for service on my Golf, I looked at all the Subies...I really liked the Outback. Many safe and enjoyable miles! I'd change @ 3k and 5-6K afterward. Oil is cheap.

when the fb25 came out in 2011 they required a change at 3000miles, then every 7500mi/7.5month 3750mi/3.75month severe service.
It was then reduced to 6000miles
I'd say go for the 1st oil change at 3000mi.

LONG timing chains

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'd run the Mobil1 0w-20 and not worry. It is a good oil.

+1

Ran M1 0W-20 in the wife's Legacy for the first 3 oci's. Last change I did PP. Great car and any quality syn will do you well. (my butt dynometer says PP is somewhat quieter than M1, though)
27.gif

I recommend leaving the factory fill in until about 8,000 kilometers but your plan is good too. You can run the full 10,000 kilometer oil change interval after that with the Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 easily. That oil will still have lots of life left at the OCI but definitely keep it at the manufacturer's recommendation for warranty reasons.

Keep to the 6,000mi interval... at least for the warranty term. I am doing 6K mile intervals with my 2014 (although they recommend 7,500 OCI). As soon as I hit 36K on the odometer, I may back up to the 7,500, but it gets short-tripped.

If you have a stock-pile, keep using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back