New car advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a new (or used car). I will be driving 75 miles one way to work, all highway miles, at least five days per week. I work at a GM dealership. I can buy a brand new Aveo with full factory warranty for $8500-$9000. That is cheaper than a lot of used cars with no warranty. I'm open to other suggestions but think that a new car will be hard to beat at that price. I'm hope any car I purchase will stand up to 4 years of use (about 39K miles per year). If it lasts past that, bonus. If not, scrap it and buy another.

Last edited:
You could get a nice used Ford Crownvic/ Towncar/ Mercury GM cheap I bet. Those are my #1 choice for a car and especially for highway miles!!!

The aveo looks and sorta is just a cheap looking basic car.

I wouldn't [censored] around with a used car with that long of a commute. Sounds like you average 40k a year for work alone! I too am a commuter and the mileage piles on quick. Get a new commuter with a warranty. Look for one with a 10 year 100k mile warranty. At least you will have 2.5 years of warranty. Used cars have their place but power commuting isn't one of them... good luck!

Originally Posted By: otis24
I am in the market for a new (or used car). I will be driving 75 miles one way to work, all highway miles, at least five days per week. I work at a GM dealership. I can buy a brand new Aveo with full factory warranty for $8500-$9000. That is cheaper than a lot of used cars with no warranty. I'm open to other suggestions but think that a new car will be hard to beat at that price. I'm hope any car I purchase will stand up to 4 years of use (about 39K miles per year). If it lasts past that, bonus. If not, scrap it and buy another.

A hard to beat a deal like that. I'd think that this is a 'disposable' vehicle ... meaning that you are going to drive the wheels off it. It's a tool so to speak. Get one that's comfortable for you. Get the bells and whistles to make it livable. Drive on... enjoy! ....

Originally Posted By: bruno
Go for a new Cruze !

+1

Same MPG and probably holds the road better than the aveo. Less fatigue makes long commutes more livable.

I'd buy a new Cruze on employee pricing. It will probablly get better mpg, and 100x better car than Aveo. I think of an Aveo as more of a city commuter car -- not highway cruiser.

Originally Posted By: DT466E_bus
You could get a nice used Ford Crownvic/ Towncar/ Mercury GM cheap I bet. Those are my #1 choice for a car and especially for highway miles!!!

The aveo looks and sorta is just a cheap looking basic car.

This sounds like awesome idea IMHO.

Don't have to buy GM. The company I will work for owns some import dealerships and we have a Ford store a couple of miles across town. The problem with an import is that the nearest import store is 120 miles away. That means a long commute or a day off of to get a vehicle diagnosed or serviced.

I don't know much about Ford's. How does a Focus compare to the Cobalt/Aveo? FWIW, I really do like the Aveo. I do not like the visibility out of a Cobalt. Love the Cruze but a basic Cruze will prob cost around $15k even with discounts. All I need for equipment is Radio, AC and OnStar. Looking for as basic a vehicle as possible, fewer repairs. Want to see if I can run whatever I buy to 200K plus running synthetic and basic maintenance. This will be a Point A to Point B communter car. No frills necessary or wanted.

Last edited:
The Focus is VERY nice. There are many threads here about brand new ones.
I would say with confidence the Ford would last longer and be of better quality.
(I still feel sorry for NickR and his unfortuanate run ins with stupid drivers in his.)

I don't think I'd buy a first model year new car. Detroit likes to use us as guinea pigs to find all the engineering defects.
The Cruze looks like a good car, but I'd wait a year or two on that one. How about a nice Malibu, Cobalt, or a Focus? Civic is probably always a good bet, too.

What about trade ins? Your dealership must get some cherry cars that you could snap up before they go on the used lot?
I've never been in an Aveo but if its wind noise is low and the engine isn't screaming on the highway it probably would be fine too.
For new, personally I'd go with a Cobalt XFE for better mileage than the Aveo and probably cheaper, try a used one for a few days off your lot, it might grow on you.

To be perfectly honest, the Aveo is way too tiny a car to use for that American-sized commute. Get yourself something less tinny, more wheelbasy, more substance and with bigger wheels/tires. I am not saying that you should go full-sized, but if you are limited to Chevy offerings, would be way more inclined to go for a used Cobalt or Malibu. Here's what consumer reports says about this thing that you will spend 3 hours a day in: imprecise steering, jittery ride, seats are uncomfortable, reliability is below average, curtain air bags, ESC not available, lacks agility, lots of body lean, slow acceleration, just 26 MPG overall, doesn't offer much. This car is a horrible, horrible choice for you, flea-market price notwithstanding,.

If I was going to buy a Daewoo, I don't think I would buy an Aveo until I checked the Suzuki dealers to see if they have any leftover Forenza/Renos.

It'll be bigger, more comfortable, and better equipped than the base Aveo and the Suzuki dealer will be motivated to move them.

The Daewoo-zukis are every bit as much a Daewoo as the Chevrolet-woo Aveo is so you are not getting any more quality with the bow-tie on the grill than you would with the big "S".

That Aveo make a Chevette or Yugo look good - quality wise. Aren't they the worst rated car for build, performance and quality in this segment? Go for the Cobalt with the auto - they do well for long highway trips. Alternatively :Any good prices on used Malibus? - they are very nice (if you can deal with the rearward visibilty. That Daewoo is junk - STAY AWAY!

Is there a hyundai dealership in your group? Lots of cool stuff like base sonatas. Even an accent is nicer than the aveo. Buy new and get a 100k warranty.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
If I was going to buy a Daewoo, I don't think I would buy an Aveo until I checked the Suzuki dealers to see if they have any leftover Forenza/Renos.

It'll be bigger, more comfortable, and better equipped than the base Aveo and the Suzuki dealer will be motivated to move them.

The Daewoo-zukis are every bit as much a Daewoo as the Chevrolet-woo Aveo is so you are not getting any more quality with the bow-tie on the grill than you would with the big "S".

Let's get real, these cars were discontinued with the 2008 model year. 2011 cars are out now, so the chance of a leftover car still being available is very low. Suzuki dealers are more focused on leftover Kizashis and Sx4's at least in my neck of the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back