New car advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aveos are junk, the Cobalt isn't much better, and the Cruze is too expensive. There are many, many better choices out there from Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, and Ford.

Quote:
What about trade ins? Your dealership must get some cherry cars that you could snap up before they go on the used lot?

I was thinking along the same line.

Working at the dealership, you must have some nice lease returns or trade ins with all maintenance history and low miles that you can by close to cost.

Aveo may sound good on paper and 9k sounds good as well for a new car, but that thing will be trashed after 100k, also it would be a miserable long highway driver, it's tiny and gas mileage is not that great for the size and engine power.

Also, if you're worried about repairs on a used car, well start socializing with the mechanics that work at your dealership, they will cut you some good deals on parts and labor if needed.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Aveos are junk, the Cobalt isn't much better, and the Cruze is too expensive. There are many, many better choices out there from Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, and Ford.
Not really, they are all junk too
smile.gif
Ask my wife about our new subaru ...

You'll be paying something in the $1000 range for a timing belt on the Aveo before the 4 years is up at the mileage you drive...

Another vote for a used crown victoria or grand marquis.

Honestly, you can go get a cobalt or whatever, but your back is going to ache after about 6 months of driving that thing to and from work.

Trust me as a guy who drives a saturn ion.

Take the money that you save, and pay for whatever the difference is going to be to fuel the victoria versus fuel the cobalt. The victoria can get high 20's if you are easy with it.

My saturn ion only gets 29-30mpg in mixed driving, so the difference in fuel is not going to be as much.

My guess would be that the victoria is cheaper to insure, and a fact is that the victoria is a much SAFER car to operate.

I was just given a ride in a 2010 Civic 4 dr to the toyota dealer, and the car was low and I had no place to put my feet in the front passenger side - junk hanging down under the dash and the floor pan angle was incorrect - BAD ERGONOMICS. My Yaris 3dr is MUCH more confy with its chair height seating and good ergos - but agreed the interior plastics in the Yar look like they cost 20 bucks ... (I'm 6'-1" 230lbs).

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

That Daewoo is junk - STAY AWAY!

I have not seen a Daewoo in Miami Dade for over 5 years now...I believe they all died of heat stroke down here long ago.

Anybody in their right mind would not even consider a Daewoo...Even if they could get it for nothing.

The only issues I have regarding repairs is getting the vehicle to a shop for diagnostic reports and such. Again, the nearest import garage is 120 miles away. Can't afford to take a day off work to bring vehicle in for repairs.

If I opt for a larger car, it would be a Buick with 3800 motor. Good fuel economy, comfortable ride. I've seen Buick's with 200K miles and still going strong with no repairs ever done to the motor.

After suggestions here, may shy away from the Aveo. Could possibly lean towards a program Cobalt. If a Malibu is half-way affordable, I may go that option.

Originally Posted By: otis24

If I opt for a larger car, it would be a Buick with 3800 motor. Good fuel economy, comfortable ride. I've seen Buick's with 200K miles and still going strong with no repairs ever done to the motor.

I have been in a ton of 400K mile Panthers out of Miami I. Airport and they are going strong with no repairs done to the engine...Plus they get good fuel economy with a very comfortable ride...These cars were former F.H.P. and Miami-Dade P.D. cars.

The maintenance on a Panther would be alot less then on a 3800 Buick motor in the long run...That is just IMHO.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I'd buy a new Cruze on employee pricing. It will probablly get better mpg, and 100x better car than Aveo. I think of an Aveo as more of a city commuter car -- not highway cruiser.

I had an Aveo rental for a week on a recent trip to WA. I wouldn't buy one.
27.gif
My 192,000 mile Aerostar rides better and I felt safer in it. JMO

For a 150 mile commute, gas mileage becomes a big factor. If he does 300,000 miles on a Corolla/Civic/Cobalt xfe and gets 40mpg, he would save $11,000 in gas(at $3/gallon)over a crown vic getting 27mpg. That pretty much buys him another Corolla/Cobalt if you account for the time/value of the gas money not spent.

With $4/gallon gas he would save $14,000. The OP seems to have no desire for a super comfortable car and is willing to put up with an Aveo so a Corolla/Cobalt/Civic would be just fine.

Buy a used car with a good reputation and some warranty.

My nephew bought an Aveo during the Cash for Clunkers deal. He ended up paying about $7,000.00 for the Aveo brand new(a good price for a new car). Uses it for collage. It doesn't get the MPG that my Altima gets(and the Altima screws and hold people in comfort). CR even stated that the MPG is nothing special for a vehicle of the Aveo's size as many more comfortable, larger/quicker cars with more power get better MPG. Also, the Aveo is one, if not CR's lowest scoring vehicles, PERIOD. And not recomended. Predicted Reliability is POOR and Customer Satisfaction in N/A...But, I don't think it going to be very good.

I drove one from Phoenix to LasVagas and I couldn't wait to get rid of this cheap POS! Didn't hold the road well at highway speeds(and there were no cross winds at that time) and the seats were as uncomfortable as any I have ever sat in, no lie!

The Aveo is consistantly on the "Worst of the Worst" list.
Should you buy one, and after your done hating it, you won't even be able to sell or trade it with out taking a major hit. You almost can't give'em away! You never see them on the used car lots. Only in private sales or auctions. And not even at auctions cause they don't want them either, they don't sell, they're junk! No offence to those who already own them! Do yourself a big favor and steer clear!

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

That Daewoo is junk - STAY AWAY!

I have not seen a Daewoo in Miami Dade for over 5 years now...I believe they all died of heat stroke down here long ago.

Anybody in their right mind would not even consider a Daewoo...Even if they could get it for nothing.

Yes you have, they just have Chevrolet badge on them now, Aveo is a Deawoo.

As of today, December 8 2010, I am predicting crude oil will hit $150 a barrel in 2011, with correspondingly high prices for gasoline and diesel. The economy will come back, the rest of the world is growing faster but the US will eventually catch up. And the abundant stockpiles are being drawn down steadily,

So I strongly advise that fuel economy be a major consideration whenever someone is shopping for a new or used car.

With that kind of daily mileage buy a gently used car w/ around 10K miles. The big depreciation hit has already been taken by someone else.

For the amount of time you'll be "living" in the vehicle, a 4-cylinder mid-size like the Fusion, Camry, Accord or Malibu will give you a comfortable, safe environment and still return 30+mpg on the highway. Any of these cars can be serviced by a independent shop, so don't worry about the dealer.

Originally Posted By: DT466E_bus
So since you work at GM does that mean GM only?

He doesn't work for GM. He works for a GM dealer, which are independently owned.

river_rat said:
I don't think I'd buy a first model year new car. Detroit likes to use us as guinea pigs to find all the engineering defects.
quote]

Not so much anymore as they did in the past. Today's new cars/trucks are launching very well today. GM, for example, has had very successful launces of all the latest new models. The fullsize SUV and trucks (GMT900) in 2007, the Malibu, the CTS, the Enclave, etc. All came out the gate very solid and as the owner of a 1st yeat 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI - I've had no issues and just hit 34k miles. I feel like the car will last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back