New brake rotors smoking/burning smell

2017 Nissan Altima

I replaced the brake pads about a month ago and I replaced the rotors just a few days ago. Since changing rotors, they smoke like crazy and I smell something burning. I did not clean the rotors since the coating is supposed to burn off, but my main concern is when I look at the rotors, the rear ones have stripping already from the pads and don't smoke, but both front ones smoke and have almost no stripping. When I'm braking, the front brakes make a sound like their making contact with the rotor, but not getting enough friction. Kind of like taking a piece of printer paper and gliding it along another piece of printer paper. Any thoughts here? None of this started until I changed the rotors.

Any new rotor on any car or truck, I spray and wipe with brake kleen and a blue shop towel.

If you didn't clean first and in your situation, I'd run the rotors down on both sides with 80 grit paper and then flush with brake kleen.

I'd also pop the pads out and give a light fast rub with 80 grit or heck, just rub them lightly to break off any surface contamination on a clean spot of concrete. (No brake kleen on the pads! Just scour them)

Install and assemble - then run her for a 60mph jaunt to 15mph a dozen times on an abandoned stretch of highway with hard braking... not fully stopping, allowing a minute to cool between hard pedal pushes. This will bed in and burnish the surfaces.

Done!

Remember to apply the brake several times while still parked before you drive off after a clean and service. This pre-loads the brakes because you won't have any at first if you backed them off. Be safe and have fun.

All rotors as far as I know have to be cleaned. Even if they are a coated rotor they still have to have the oil cleaned off them. Regarding the new rotors and somewhat new pads yeah usually it’s best to replace them both at the same time if you are going to do rotors. I’ve done them separately but it’s led to streaking like you mentioned. Ceramic pads are especially bad for that because they are a lot more abrasive from my understanding.

I always clean new rotors with brake clean before installing them. Only once that I can remember having an odd smell and a bit of smoke. That was on the test drive after doing the job. It lasted a few seconds, never came back, and never caused a problem. All I could think was either I didn't clean them well enough or a bit of grease might have gotten on a pad or rotor?

I was always taught that if you install new rotors they should be washed off with soap and water to remove any casting debris or coating. In the real world I usually just sprayed them off with brake clean.

As for replacing pads with rotors I worked for one service manager who insisted on doing that. My usual was just to sand the pads a little as we had 3 foot strips of stick on sandpaper on the rack pillars just for that purpose. Just enough to remove any glaze, abnormal wear and make them an even flat surface again.

Last edited:
I was always taught that if you install new rotors they should be washed off with soap and water to remove any casting debris or coating. In the real world I usually just sprayed them off with brake clean.
Years ago, the procedure was to clean them off with a brake/parts cleaner. In recent years, most rotor makers are saying to just use soap and water and I'll bet this is for "environmental" reasons. That said, soap and water likely cleans them off perfectly fine. Most mechanics have cans and cans of brake cleaner handy though....

Welcome to BITOG :)

You should've installed the new pads and rotors at the same time. You're supposed to clean the rotors unless the rotor manufacturer specifically says it's not necessary.

Thanks for the information everyone. I didn't inspect the rotors like a dummy when I replaced the pads. After the new pads were on, I had bad vibration when braking so I finally got new rotors and put them on. I've never had a problem not cleaning rotors. I had the shop look at them since I'm not able to right now. They said there's a ton of oil on the rotors.. yikes! They're cleaning them and sanding the pads. Hopefully the brakes will still last me most of what they were expected to in the beginning.

I made the mistake of not cleaning new rotors one time when doing a brake job. Unfortunately the oil on the rotors created hot spots when when applying the brakes and the rotors were trashed in a matter of minutes of driving. The brakes developed a severe shudder after just a few miles of driving on the test run. The smell was scary. I had to buy new pads and rotors again.

It was a lesson learned for me.

I made the mistake of not cleaning new rotors one time when doing a brake job. Unfortunately the oil on the rotors created hot spots when when applying the brakes and the rotors were trashed in a matter of minutes of driving. The brakes developed a severe shudder after just a few miles of driving on the test run. The smell was scary. I had to buy new pads and rotors again.

It was a lesson learned for me.
The shop said they test drove it and it was good to go. I drove the car home and still smelt burning. It was alot stronger this time, maybe it was the cleaning stuff they used burning off.. idk. But still see a little smoke.. if it doesn't resolve in a few more days, I'll probably be buying new pads and rotors again.

It can easily happen if you get the inside/outside pads reversed. Sometimes it is very difficult to tell the difference I've found out a couple of times, with poor stopping power and smoking just one pad, and ruining the rotors. Just a little dimple or pin is the difference between the pads sometimes.

Do the brakes get hot if you drive a few miles without using the brakes? (other than to stop once to get out and check, obviously)

Do the brakes get hot if you drive a few miles without using the brakes? (other than to stop once to get out and check, obviously)
No only time I notice they're hot is after using the brakes frequently or going down a hill and riding the brakes.

Back