New Beretta 92fs

Picked this up Thursday evening. Hoping to get it to the range tomorrow. Bought the only one they had or could get right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_145146483_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220918_145146483_HDR.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 87
Sweet. After 20 years of being completely indifferent to them, I have a strange urge for one now. Either a 92FS like that or M9. So that looks desirable to me.

They put an illegal mag cap ban in place in WA a few months ago. I got four surplus M9 mags before that for when I find a nice deal on one. So I've actually got four mags for it, but no gun yet. ;)

Hope you enjoy it!

Sweet. After 20 years of being completely indifferent to them, I have a strange urge for one now. Either a 92FS like that or M9. So that looks desirable to me.

They put an illegal mag cap ban in place in WA a few months ago. I got four surplus M9 mags before that for when I find a nice deal on one. So I've actually got four mags for it, but no gun yet. ;)

Hope you enjoy it!
I've owned an old Taurus pt92 for awhile, so I was already familiar with the basic functions besides the safety/decocker, which is located in a different place and functions differently. This one came with two 15 round magazines but currently my state has no magazine restrictions, so I might ad some Beretta or mec gar 18 rounders in the future. My initial impressions are very high. The build/fit and finish is excellent. I've already field stripped it and done an initial clean/lube and everything functions as it should. The polymer grips it comes with are much slimmer than the wood ones on my Taurus, and the Beretta fits my hand much better. Very eager to shoot it. Right now, in my area at least, Berettas are scarce. If you find one and like it, don't hesitate to lay some money down. No telling when a shop can get another one.

Nice! I have the Taurus knock off cause it was cheap at the pawn shop. A little heavy but a sweet shooter. Prob the most accurate 9mm I have.
I found my Taurus to be a good gun. I've wanted a Beretta for a long time and finally just went for it. I really can't compare the two because the Taurus is quite well worn and was that way when I got it, and the Beretta is brand new.

...I might ad some Beretta or mec gar 18 rounders in the future. My initial impressions are very high. ...

Recently the DoD has been dumping Beretta stuff. Looking around you can get brand new, M9 MecGar 15rd mags for $6/$7 a piece. No bumper bottom and phosphated, not blued. But unused surplus and genuine MecGar (contract).

Recently the DoD has been dumping Beretta stuff. Looking around you can get brand new, M9 MecGar 15rd mags for $6/$7 a piece. No bumper bottom and phosphated, not blued. But unused surplus and genuine MecGar (contract).
Where would one "look around" for those magazines? I don't have an outlet for military surplus stuff.

I’ve had 2 or three, I want to like them but the 1911s keep calling…

Good luck with it, maybe I will give one a try again someday.

Shame the 85 went away, that was my first centerfire. Should have kept that one…

Where would one "look around" for those magazines? I don't have an outlet for military surplus stuff.
There were a bunch cheap in the arfcom classifieds and more on GB recently. Generally $7 to $10 and less in bulk. They were just in big boxes unwrapped, military M9 from Checkmate with their CAGE code. Like.y to be more as they are disposed of as surplus.

I will look in the classifieds there later tonight and see if there are still some listings, link them if I find any atm.

Not bad. As much as I dislike the pistol, it shot really well for me. I was the only person in our 500-member BN that shot 29/30 or better both times we qualified. My 1SG shot 28/30 and 29/30 so he was behind by 1 pt....noob.

/smug

Took it shooting this morning. I put about 400 rounds through it and it functioned very well save for one stove pipe, which I attribute to that particular round and not the gun itself. I'm about as accurate with it as I am with my Taurus, which is to say I can hit my target more often than not. I believe this will make a reliable sidearm. Got a few knicks on the slide finish where ejected cases hit the slide in operation. I'm still not used to the heavy double action trigger pull of either pistol, something I need to work on.

Attachments

• IMG_20220919_100457863.jpg
    IMG_20220919_100457863.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 18
Took it shooting this morning. I put about 400 rounds through it and it functioned very well save for one stove pipe, which I attribute to that particular round and not the gun itself. I'm about as accurate with it as I am with my Taurus, which is to say I can hit my target more often than not. I believe this will make a reliable sidearm. Got a few knicks on the slide finish where ejected cases hit the slide in operation. I'm still not used to the heavy double action trigger pull of either pistol, something I need to work on.
I found that my wife’s Beretta 92, when new, didn’t like weak ammo. Several stovepipes in the first hundred rounds of Winchester white box.

But zero issues with hotter ammo, like Fiocchi, or mil spec Winchester, or good self defensive ammo.

Zero issues with it now that it is broken in. A quality firearm.

A great choice.

There were a bunch cheap in the arfcom classifieds and more on GB recently. Generally $7 to $10 and less in bulk. They were just in big boxes unwrapped, military M9 from Checkmate with their CAGE code. Like.y to be more as they are disposed of as surplus.

I will look in the classifieds there later tonight and see if there are still some listings, link them if I find any atm.

Well I can't find any for sale now; however searching there isn't perfect because you can't search two character strings like "M9." I tried numerous other things but no joy (yet). I'll try keeping an eye out as I wouldn't mind more myself. I bought a box and sold some off; I should have kept more. Here's what they look(ed) like, just unissued US Army suplus in bulk. People had boxes of hundreds and hundreds of them. As they transition to Sigs this will be common. "1M291" is Checkmate Ind. CAGE code and top tier stuff. When I find more I'll post here.

mags3.jpg

ad3.jpg

I found that my wife’s Beretta 92, when new, didn’t like weak ammo. Several stovepipes in the first hundred rounds of Winchester white box.

But zero issues with hotter ammo, like Fiocchi, or mil spec Winchester, or good self defensive ammo.

Zero issues with it now that it is broken in. A quality firearm.

A great choice.
I didn't think to collect the brass of that round until I had already cleared the malfunction. It would have been interesting to know what brand that particular round was. My range ammo is all various brands of standard pressure 115 gr fmj mixed together in a tote. I just buy what's cheap/available. I did run a magazine and a half of my Hornady critical defense through it and it functioned properly.

Bought my 92FS Inox back in February 2005; manufactured in Accokeek, MD.

Fine weapon, put 200rds through it when I bought it. Has been a safe queen since then.

I was able to get back out to the range today and put about 200 more rounds through the Beretta. I had one malfunction, a total fail to eject, with a Winchester round. All I can figure is it wasn't charged hot enough to eject itself from the barrel, although it did cycle the slide back. Most of what I shot was Remington green box and blazer brass 115 grain fmj, no issues. After the malfunction was dealt with the pistol functioned perfectly. I really don't see how the issue could be anything but that particular round. Moving forward any Winchester ammo I have left will be cycled out and replaced with Remington or Blazer, and I'll see if I can verify or falsify my theory. Open to the ideas of others.

They’re heavy and undercapped for the modern sidearm category, but you will never find a sweeter pistol to shoot. The Military 96 is surprisingly soft too, it’s my favorite gun of all time.

I have guns from all brands, most are reliable and accurate, but none of them are dripping with mojo like the 92/96. It’s like holding/playing the perfect instrument.

Since this is a car forum : You can drive a Camry but the Lexus will get you there more comfortably. Bonus joke : The Taurus PT92 is an Avalon.

It’s that low bore axis. I personally like it, it’s my favorite feature on Glocks besides the aftermarket support (is that a “feature”?). I’ve shot one or two 92s that were not sighted right from the factory. My first one was like that. Always shot 3-4” low. You might have tried a stinker.

Back