New belt squeal cause damage to belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got new timing, serpentine, and ac belts replace by local independent shop. The Elantra now has a very loud squeal upon cold start, turning sometimes and changes with rpm’s. I tried squirting water on the visible belts and it did not seem to change the noise. Its very apparent to me it’s the timing belt. It runs and drives fine. But the skeretch! Sounds like my it’s some old broken down beater which it definitely is not. I’ll be going to the shop ASAP but in the mean time my questions are if it will do any damage to the belt or any other part if the vehicle is driven to work a few miles. I’m preparing myself for the ensuing battle of the shop not taking responsibility and make things right. I have video of cold start noise, noise changing with rpm, and spraying pulleys with water. Should I ask them to buy me a new belt? I asked them to use all oem parts to avoid this situation. Also noticed they didn’t change the pulley. Over $1000 total for water pump, thermostat, belt job, and new flex pipe in which it failed inspection for. They charged 3.5 hrs for belt and pump job, .75 for exhaust. I’m not complaining about the labor rate as I think that was extremely quick! Just wish I didn’t have sqeal! They also forgot to balance a tire I requested.

Usually a cold start squeal is the alternator drag causing slipping of the serpentine belt.A timing belt squeal could be from pulleys with bearings not replaced with the belt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
A timing belt won't squeal. Gotta be another belt.

This for sure. Timing belts have teeth, they don't squeal. It is one of the FEAD belts, one of the pulleys, or a tensioner.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
A timing belt won't squeal. Gotta be another belt.

A bad t-belt tensioner can certainly cause a t-belt to squeal - and be destroyed in short order.

Take the car back. It didn't squeal, now it does.

Your belt tensioner is probably weak or corroded spring not moving freely causing slack and belt rub. In the short term it won't destroy the belt but going on long enough it will wear out faster, or besides the noise the slack and beating it takes driving around could also put wear on it.

I wouldn't expect them to replace it unless there are already signs of excess wear and as Chris142 mentioned, it is much less likely the timing belt.

It's not an OEM parts issue, there's nothing about aftermarket belts that would make it worse. In fact it could be the opposite that some aftermarket like Dayco have a model with a synthetic felt lining that reduces belt noise.

Pulley (bearing) itself, does not need changed unless it has wobble in it but you may need to pull the belt off to check for that. There are some mechanics which may say "better to replace it now blah blah blah" and "maybe", if it can be done cheaply while someone else is working on your vehicle, but the pulleys usually last longer than one belt, is sort of a waste and unnecessary expense to simultaneously replace parts that aren't bad yet, when it is an external belt that is not expensive or hard to DIY replace.

Do watch the belt while the engine is running and see if there is excess wobble in any pulleys or slop in the belt, At idle it should not be moving around much while when putting on or letting off throttle, some rebound is normal.

HOWEVER, you mentioned turning. It might just be a semi-coincidence and your power steering pump (bearing) is shot and it wasn't as noticeable because the old stretched belt put less tension on the bearing.

Last edited:
You might have a manually tensioned belt in that thing that needs adjusting. Let them make it right. Many belts need to "settle" while they break in and many mechanics tighten them too tightly, wrecking bearings in the weakest link.

I get a bit of squeal when turning--when it bumps against the stop. easy fix! Now the ac squeal... manual tensioners are annoying. But a five minute job if that to turn the adjuster one more turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back