New battery, peppier engine?

No question that replacing a battery can reset the adaptive learning present in many newer cars. This may give a new "feel" to a driver who is paying attention...

Well, we both experienced something. And she isn’t a car person, so I am surprised that she would notice it.

When someone cannot explain “why” something occurs, it can seem “outrageous “. Until a few years ago, scientists couldn’t explain why bumble bees could fly. On paper, bumble bee flight was scientifically outrageous.

I can only surmise that a new battery would increase spark and thus better combustion; much like performance spark plugs. But that is just a guess.
seems too big engine to notice "overloaded alternator", if old battery was making strain on it.

My co-worker has a 5 or 6 year old Dodge Avenger. I have a 6 year old Dodge Grand Caravan. On Thursday, she had to jump start her car and the battery light stayed on. I had been thinking of replacing my battery due to age. On Friday, I went in for an oil change service. On the Multi-point inspection, the battery was marked “red”. I took it to Napa and had them check it; intending to replace it regardless. It had about half the cranking amps. My co-worker also replaced hers on Saturday. We both paid a little over $200 for new batteries.

She commented that her car seemed to have more power. I also noticed that my vehicle seems peppier. Is this possible from a simple battery change?
Otis, I'm on your side, even though members will Pooh-Pooh my story as well.

Because on two different vehicles, I've had bad positive side battery cables. Both started running horribly, rough idle, hard to start, and one would randomly shut off in hot weather.

Once the cables were found and replaced, both vehicles were again smooth running machines with no recurring issues.

Modern vehicles are much more sensitive to proper voltage, and if a batttery isn't delivering what the system needs, the computer and other electrical systems can't work properly.

It's just like an old carbureted car - runs like carp until you replaced plugs cap and rotor. Same principle; degraded electronics don't function as designed.

Back