New AS Tire from Continental

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the European market. If it were to be sold in North America, it would probably be called an All Weather tire.

http://www.tyrepress.com/2017/05/allseas...ropean-markets/

Quote:
Continental still maintains its view that season-specific fitments provide optimal safety and performance, however it considers that all-season tyres – or, more specifically, its all-season tyre – offer an alternative for low-mileage vehicles operating in urban areas within mild climate zones. “To this end, Continental developed an additional tyre, the AllSeasonContact, which combines good winter and summer performances, plus best in class rolling resistance.”

The 3PMSF-marked AllSeasonContact features a v-shaped tread pattern that is similar to the Michelin CrossClimate in that it doesn’t feature the extensive siping seen on many all-season tyres. Continental credits the AllSeasonContact’s “impressive grip on snowy and wet winter roads” to an “adaptive all-season compound” – the Traction Silica Compound – that contains “winter performance resins” and “a high silica fill rate.” The tread design comes into play to a greater extent in the warmer months; Continental states that the pattern offers a “combination of open shoulders for high aquaplaning performance and stiff pattern with minimum sipes for better handling and braking on dry roads.”

I thought all-season was the common term Stateside too - for tire that do nothing particularly spectacular
smile.gif

MY OEM Conti 4x4 on the Rogue were good overall with a nice ride and very low impact harshness, but the traction in wet and snow disappeared with 1/3 tread left.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I thought all-season was the common term Stateside too - for tire that do nothing particularly spectacular
smile.gif

MY OEM Conti 4x4 on the Rogue were good overall with a nice ride and very low impact harshness, but the traction in wet and snow disappeared with 1/3 tread left.

It's a new term for European tires, as normally they have summer tires and winters. The All-season/All-weather tires will still have the mountain-snowflake for countries that mandate winter tires.

It's just another chance for them to invent a new market and a new product for people who are sucked in by advertising.

BITOG'ers on the other hand know better and pick an appropriate tyre for use & conditions.

These (Continental AllSeasonContact, Michelin CrossClimate, Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons, etc) tires are aimed at people who benefit least from seasonal tires and/or have the biggest headaches with extra set of wheels/tres.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2016-AutoBild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

They are for city dwellers, probably on European plains. Some tires are similar to performance winters (Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons) others more like summer tire with tricky compound and v shaped tread (AllSeasonContact, CrossClimate).
Some of them are almost as good as winter tires on snow others provide worse snow performance for better wet and dry (CrossClimate).

Again end user needs to pick strong performer in their key areas.

Krzys

They are mainly for people that don't see real winter conditions. If all you see is wet slush, temps just below freezing, this would be a decent choice.

Still think the Nokian WR-G3 is the class leader for this type of tire.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
They are mainly for people that don't see real winter conditions. If all you see is wet slush, temps just below freezing, this would be a decent choice.

In Europe, The Nokian WR series which the G3 is made up of the A3 & D3, is a dedicated central European studless winter tire, not an all-weather. THeir all-weather tire is the Weatherproof.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

In Europe, The Nokian WR series which the G3 is made up of the A3 & D3, is a dedicated central European studless winter tire, not an all-weather. THeir all-weather tire is the Weatherproof.

That's funny, the WR series is an all weather tire on this side of the pond. I was surprised when I saw our Canada Post mail trucks actually using this tire. SMRT.

I'm still surprised that they make different tires like this for both sides of the Atlantic.

The AllSeasonContact in your OP, along with the tires krzyss mentioned, aren't the same as the all-season snowflake "all weather" tires we get over here (Toyo Celsius, the upcoming Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, Nokian WRGx). Since they're both supposed to serve the same purpose, why not make the same one worldwide?

The only global 4-season "all weather" tires are the Vredestein Quatrac series, and the Hankook Optimo/Kinergy 4S (sold in Europe and Canada, but not the US)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I'm still surprised that they make different tires like this for both sides of the Atlantic.

The AllSeasonContact in your OP, along with the tires krzyss mentioned, aren't the same as the all-season snowflake "all weather" tires we get over here (Toyo Celsius, the upcoming Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, Nokian WRGx). Since they're both supposed to serve the same purpose, why not make the same one worldwide?

The only global 4-season "all weather" tires are the Vredestein Quatrac series, and the Hankook Optimo/Kinergy 4S (sold in Europe and Canada, but not the US)

Had the Vredestein all-weather tires as my intermediate tires on my highly modified smart car. Was actually impressed with their performance in light snow.

but the traction in wet and snow disappeared with 1/3 tread left.

That describes pretty much every tire I've ever owned. Is there another expectation?

Originally Posted By: HangFire
but the traction in wet and snow disappeared with 1/3 tread left.

That describes pretty much every tire I've ever owned. Is there another expectation?

The original Michelin Alpin which featured Y-siping (when worn, the sipes would open up to form two sipes).
These were on my Saab 90 when I bought it in autumn of 2007. They were old (six or seven years, if I recall correctly) tread was down to the legal minimum of 1.6mm. I had ordered new Alpin A2 immediately and already had an appointment to have them fitted in the next week, when winter struck.
I had a 45km commute through the eifel mountains (used to live directly adjacent to the Nürburgring), and in the mornings usually I was on the road before the snow plows came out.
On this particular morning, there were about 10-15cm of snow. Made it downhill just fine, and through the upper Ahr valley as well (not so much snow in the valley). Then comes the steep incline of the L115 towards the Autobahn. Again, 10-15cm of wet snow, and snow still kept falling. Several lorries getting stuck, and lots of stopped cars. In the air the smell of burned brakes, as their traction controls would struggle to keep their wheels from spinning. Under the white blanket of snow often patches of ice (where the cars without traction control had fought and lost). I needed to stop several times and get going again, and then zig-zagged my way around the stuck lorries.
Absolutely no problem... on seven year old tyres with barely any tread left.
Needless to say, that impressed me a lot. I could still remember the Continental TS something (790 or 810), that I had had on my first Saab, and which was excellent in the first winter and complete junk in the following winters. Never have had any other winter tyre on my classic Saabs (90(/900) other than Michelin Alpin/A2/A3/A4 since.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back