New apartments shoddy build quality

Originally Posted by JustinH
We lived in a 20 year old apartment in San Antonio, about 640 sq feet. Electric heat and old AC unit.

Routinely would pay $150/month for electric.

Had a new house built about 1440 sq feet, about $70 for Gas and Electric on one combined bill.

We sure saved a TON of money living in the apartment, I would probably still be living there but it was too cramped for the wife and I, and two cats.

I will never forget how cold it was during the winter in that little apartment. I had to put insulating blinds on the bedroom windows to keep breeze from blowing in my ear. All this while the electric heat was blowing on the other side of the room.

I can see how many want to live in apartments. No responsibility, pool taken care of. Valet garbage pickup. Ours even had HOT BREAKFAST every saturday morning, on the patio by the pool. Rent was half the cost of my mortgage.

But the big bottom line, is the big nest egg of equity we are building every month. We walked away with good money with every house we sold.

The way the taxes are, there is no write off for mortgage in most cases. People used to tout the ability to write off mortgage interest, but it never really helped us out much, and now its nothing due to hefty exemptions.

Just my property taxes were close to my rent. It's just not worth it anymore.

A lot of new housing development around my area in the past 10-15 years are of really bad quality. The townhomes in my subdivison have no insulation anywhere and it's noticeable during the winter when you can feel the draft come in where the foundation meets the walls. You can hear somebody walking hard upstairs; my upstairs neighbor used to hear my ex and I doing 'stuff' all the time (although I didn't find that out waaaay after.) None of the faucets matched and lots gaps between the carpet/hardwood/tiles.

Originally Posted by Pew
A lot of new housing development around my area in the past 10-15 years are of really bad quality. The townhomes in my subdivison have no insulation anywhere and it's noticeable during the winter when you can feel the draft come in where the foundation meets the walls. You can hear somebody walking hard upstairs; my upstairs neighbor used to hear my ex and I doing 'stuff' all the time (although I didn't find that out waaaay after.) None of the faucets matched and lots gaps between the carpet/hardwood/tiles.

I have seen some youtube videos of contractors complaining about houses being built with no sheathing!!! Just polystyrene and siding affixed to the framed exterior walls! Crazy.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by Pew

I have seen some youtube videos of contractors complaining about houses being built with no sheathing!!! Just polystyrene and siding affixed to the framed exterior walls! Crazy.

That could be ok. In fact that type of building is common in the desert SW (Sheathing applied at the corners). Sheathings provide racking resistance with no insulating value. Assuming structurally sound (i.e. strapping, 16" oc framing) a house with little to no exterior sheathing but with a layer of exterior rigid foam (sandwiched between the cladding and the outboard side of the framing) which has taped seams would be significantly more comfortable than a house with just sheathing.

Air sealing is the most important energy reducer and occupant comfort for residential building.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Throt
craftsmanship is dead.

Craftsmanship is there if you want to pay for it. But if the landlords accept the lowest quote, craftmanship they will not be getting.

Lots of contractors are afraid to do good work and stand by it, they fear all of the work will go to the low bidders.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by Pew

That could be ok. In fact that type of building is common in the desert SW (Sheathing applied at the corners). Sheathings provide racking resistance with no insulating value. Assuming structurally sound (i.e. strapping, 16" oc framing) a house with little to no exterior sheathing but with a layer of exterior rigid foam (sandwiched between the cladding and the outboard side of the framing) which has taped seams would be significantly more comfortable than a house with just sheathing.

Air sealing is the most important energy reducer and occupant comfort for residential building.

Interesting. I guess here we're more concerned with snow load. The sheathing really helps with that, especially under load bearing walls.

Originally Posted by dinofish
Name one new thing manufactured/produced anywhere in the world that isn't of 'shoddy build quality'.

Nonesense.. you want one? Klein electrical tools. I have many more

Back