New additive from Chevron

Status
Not open for further replies.
"This exclusive synthetic formula acts as a catalyst to improve the combustion properties of gasoline."

If it were a "catalyst," it would regenerate as fast as it was consumed. But then I guess you'd only need one treatment for the life of the vehicle, right?

But hey... never let the correct use of scientific terminology get in the way of marketing.

I always liked the theory behind the rxp product -- make the fuel/air mixture reabsorb infrared energy from the burning fuel instead of letting it be absorbed by the walls of the combustion chamber, but I could not verify that it actually worked.

Isn't that what Acetone is supposed to do?
burnout.gif
burnout.gif
burnout.gif
burnout.gif

I hope it works as advertised and how much?
cheers.gif

Catalyst -

1. Chemistry. A substance, usually used in small amounts relative to the reactants, that modifies and increases the rate of a reaction without being consumed in the process.
2. One that precipitates a process or event, especially without being involved in or changed by the consequences: “A free press... has remained... a vital catalyst to an informed and responsible electorate” (Robert O'Neal).

Neither of these definitions mention anything about regeneration nor have I ever heard an engineer mention that a substance that acts as a catalyst can or should regenerate or even be a renewable resource within the scope of an application.

Everything from most sealants to glue use some form of a catalyst and the reference to it not being consumed simply means the catalyst itself does not lose it's chemical identity during the process. However, it is consumed in the sense that the quantity of substance used as a catalyst may become an inert part of the end result or simply released.

Whether or not Chevron's new product truly works this way is beyond my knowledge. All we have to go on is their claim.

Feel free to disagree. That's simply my take on it.

"I love this kind of stuff, especially from highly reputable companies, like Chevron! "

Be cautious....we all should know how quickly and badly reputations can turn
rolleyes.gif

Sounds like a lot of lawyer talk. Is there anything in their that actually says anything?

"Through reduced ignition and fuel burning times, PurEscape(TM) Performance Optimizer is designed to improve the utilization of energy released during combustion, resulting in higher average peak pressures and improved quality of the average combustion cycle."

It sounds like it, but it doesn't really say more power or better fuel economy.

"Infusing your vehicle's gasoline with PurEscape(TM) Performance Optimizer can make your drive time more exhilarating,"

Again, more exhilarating, not faster. It might be a good product, but what does it do??

What the heck? Some of you are terrible. This may be a good product, but did you actually read that flowery dribble? (well T-Keith, Vstrom, HBL, et al appear to have)

Let me keep it short: If Amsoil would have written that poetry, you guys would be on it like white on rice.

PS If it works, I'll buy it.

PSS "without being consumed in the process." So where does it go?

Pablo- "without being consumed in the process." So where does it go?

Say for instance you had a substance that would change a physical property like surface tension of water with the presence of the substance, but there is no chemical reaction involved. This substance would be then inert wrt water but it still has an effect. In the case of the IC engine the substances are swept out with the exhaust if not consumed in the combustion reaction. aside from residuals.

"A substance, usually used in small amounts relative to the reactants, that modifies and increases the rate of a reaction without being consumed in the process."

The catalyst is actually involved in a chemical reaction, forming a variety of so-called "intermediates." But in the last step of the catalytic cycle, the catalyst is returned to its original form. The catalyst is therefore "regenerated" instead of being consumed like the other reactants.

Yes, I'm a chemist, and I hate it when marketing gurus try to "talk the talk."

Increasing burn rate sounds like a potentially very bad idea. Spiking cylinder pressures has a tendency to bend and break things. Hopefully the knock sensor on your engine (what? your carbureted '72 pickup doesn't have a knock sensor?) will retard timing enough to prevent detonation-like destruction and then the increased burn rate will still maintain proper power output with the retared timing.

This product worked for me, but the change was slight, & franky, varies by the engine type and the inherent combustion pattern.

A lot of the engineering on engines (multiple valves, head designs, vortex patterns, swirling, etc...) is an attempt to change the burn pattern and combsution characteristics/efficiency. I think of PureEscape as a chemical way to change the combustion...giving a little more "pop".

It is a very real product, developed by some really smart folks...a new thing looking for a market. In general, big companies have a lot to loose (reputation & leagally) if they sell something that is not effective. The copy on the lable was carefully chosen as you might guess...

My opinions only.

Here's the text for those who can't access the link. And I just love this quote!!

"Infusing your vehicle’s gasoline with PurEscape Performance Optimizer can make your drive time more exhilarating," said Alison Townley, business manager of consumer products marketing for Chevron Products Company."

Chevron Expands Fuel Additives Line

SAN RAMON, Calif. -- Chevron Products Co. is adding PurEscape Performance Optimizer and TECHRON Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner, a reformulated version of Chevron’s TECHRON Concentrate, to its line of fuel additives.

The company’s consumer testing has shown that the enhanced gasoline combustion offered by PurEscape Performance Optimizer often translates to a smoother running engine that shows a noticeable and immediate improvement in vehicle responsiveness.

This synthetic formula acts as a catalyst to improve the combustion properties of gasoline. Through reduced ignition and fuel burning times, PurEscape Performance Optimizer is designed to improve the utilization of energy released during combustion, resulting in higher average peak pressures and improved quality of the average combustion cycle.

"Infusing your vehicle’s gasoline with PurEscape Performance Optimizer can make your drive time more exhilarating," said Alison Townley, business manager of consumer products marketing for Chevron Products Company. "It contains a revolutionary new and patented component that can bring out the hidden potential of a car’s engine by converting gasoline energy faster, which can translate to an improved overall driving experience."

The product is intended for use with every gasoline fill-up. A globally tested product, it is suitable for all gasoline fuel grades and all 4-stroke gasoline vehicle types. The product does not affect gasoline octane ratings or alter the engine’s octane requirements and can be used with all engine systems components.

PurEscape Performance Optimizer is available in a 12-ounce size, which treats up to 20 gallons of gasoline. The product will be available for retailers in January 2006.

TECHRON Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner provides both engine deposit control and protection against harmful sulfurs that can cause fuel gauge sensors to malfunction.

With its synthetic formula, one bottle of TECHRON Concentrate Plus improves engine performance for up to 3,000 miles by cleaning deposits from fuel injectors, carburetors, intake valves, ports and combustion chambers. It can help restore lost power; lower exhaust emissions; reduce engine knock, ping and run-on; and relieve cold start-up problems.

"TECHRON Concentrate Plus is an easy and cost-effective way to maintain optimal engine performance and fuel efficiency, especially for used car drivers who need to remove engine deposits neglected by their vehicles’ previous owners," Townley said. "With regular use, it can help lower exhaust emissions and maximize performance over the life of the engine."

In older vehicles, combustion chamber deposits will sometimes cause engine knock unless the motorist uses a higher octane fuel than specified in the owner’s manual. One bottle of TECHRON Concentrate Plus can help decrease the octane requirement of these vehicles, eliminating knock and allowing the motorist to use less expensive lower octane fuels. The protection offered by the product against fuel system sulfur deposits has also been shown to last for thousands of miles.

Available in two bottle sizes, the product can be used with most vehicles, including light-duty direct and indirect-injected diesel engines, gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles, direct injection spark ignition (DISI) gasoline engines and all ethanol-oxygenated gasolines. The 20-ounce size treats up to 20 gallons of fuel and is designed for larger cars, light-duty trucks and sport utility vehicles. The 12-ounce size treats up to 12 gallons of fuel and is designed for smaller cars and trucks. The new fuel additive will be available at national retail chains and auto parts stores this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back