New AAA Top Tier study. It's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there are many TT gas brands out there. I support 3 companies who are really an important part of this product line.

I usually end up buying TT these days, since it is no more expensive than anything else around here. Chevron is the only gasoline that is significantly more expensive than everything else, in this area.

Where I used to live, TT fuel was enough more expensive that I could come out about the same by buying the most convenient & cheapest fuel, then top-treating it with my own additives, so that's mostly what I did.

Did I miss something in that report? I didn't see anywhere that they showed which fuel brands were tested... How do you guys know which fuels were tested and which are top tier and non-top tier?

The only reason I am now using a TT gas now is because my local farmer's cooperative branded over to Cenex and I get 4 cents a gallon off by using the coop fuel card. Otherwise, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Did I miss something in that report? I didn't see anywhere that they showed which fuel brands were tested... How do you guys know which fuels were tested and which are top tier and non-top tier?

I think in the test they didn't specify brand, only which turned out to be TopTier and which were not in the results. Something like subject #5 may have been one that goes even beyond TopTier standards like Shell or Costco.

Like the article says, most people will buy fuel based on convenience or price. Having a Costco so close by is great because its the cheapest around and also TopTier.

While I probably wouldn't pay much more for TT-licensed fuel, I find myself in the fortunate position of having a Valero on my normal commuting route and that station is usually the cheapest in the area, although not always.
Costco is rarely the cheapest source of fuel in any area, to which any regular user of gasbuddy.com can attest.
I'm not so sure about the importance of TT. It was apparently important enough for some engines for GM to develop the standard.
I've had engines apart myself and have seen others taken down and I don't see much in the way of either piston crown or combustion chamber deposits and the valves must stay at least fairly clean to close with a good seal.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Wow, I had no idea a big name like Sunoco wasn't a Top Tier brand. Disappointing. Time to take my direct-injected Honda elsewhere.

A company like Shamrock is but Sunoco isn't? Strange.

I think Sunoco is like a TT, but probably just didn't want to pay for the certification.

FWIW:

About Sunoco Fuel
Sunoco fuels significantly exceed U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) gasoline detergency standards. All grades of Sunoco fuel contain the same level of detergent. In addition to government-mandated detergency tests, Sunoco fuels are subject to additional testing by an independent, third-party lab to further ensure their quality. Learn more about our safety and environmental policies.

Sunoco fuels contain additives such as corrosion inhibitors and antioxidants, which help to ensure quality and promote a longer “shelf life”, which means the gasoline will last longer between uses. Gasoline filters trap particles as small as 10 microns from the gasoline before it goes into your tank

https://www.sunoco.com/quality-fuels/gasoline-facts-and-tips/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back