New 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (and updated Bolt EV)

Nothing groundbreaking. A bigger, cheaper, nicer Bolt essentially. Still the old chassis and batteries, not the new Ultium system.

• 250 mile EPA range
• FWD only
• Super Cruise available
• $33,995.

The updated Bolt EV drops to $31,995,
with 259 mile EPA range.

While not exciting, it’s a decent value. The wording of the press release definitely points at affordability being the main goal with the Bolt family.

Sounds like installation of an included home “charger” (EVSE) is included in the cost of the vehicle?

Nissan Leaf is $31,600 for 149 miles
Nissan Leaf PLUS is $38,200 for 226 miles
VW ID.4 is $40,000 for 250 miles
Hyundai KONA EV is $37,400 for 258 miles

5D5D031E-864F-4EC5-803F-D3E33BDF95B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Front end looks strange to me--taking cues from Tesla?

Almost looks like they broke out some tin foil from the kitchen to cover over the grill. Not sure if I like it, but I'm not sure what would have looked better.

No need for a grill if there is no radiator.

Actually not a bad vehicle from GovMo. The deal with the home charger installation is good.

People love their Bolts. And there seems to be attractive discounting as compared to say, Tesla products.
My next door neighbor, a school teacher at a Palo Alto private elementary school, is on her 2nd Bolt lease.
Susie likes it better than our Model 3. She leased a Toyota RAV EV before her Bolts.
Susie is aces...

Are they making the regular Bolt still? I'm not a GM fan but I really do like the bolt EV and it'll likely be the DD replacement when the time comes to move on from my Forester. I'll be stuck with 120v charging as I have 100a service to my house, but I can make it work with 250 miles of range. Even if I have to charge it every day.

Teslas are neat and I can respect them but they seem a bit too fancy for me.

The bolt EV Super Cruise can be used on “ enabled roads” . What are “ enabled roads”?
Pretty self explanatory I thought. SuperCruise is a GPS based self driving system so the road has to be logged and mapped via GPS and then verified/uploaded into the GM software.

Are they making the regular Bolt still? I'm not a GM fan but I really do like the bolt EV and it'll likely be the DD replacement when the time comes to move on from my Forester. I'll be stuck with 120v charging as I have 100a service to my house, but I can make it work with 250 miles of range. Even if I have to charge it every day.

Teslas are neat and I can respect them but they seem a bit too fancy for me.
They updated the regular Bolt and made a slightly larger Bolt. The current one is pretty small and supposedly has a choppy ride according to Consumers. It makes a perfect city commuter. 120volts would take too long, about 40 hours. A 7kw charger wouldn’t kill your panel, probably. 3400 watts on each leg draw at 6.8 kw, but even that it takes about 8 hours to go from 0 to full I believe. Depending on your electric rate it isn’t that cheap. Some gas cars are just as cheap to run if you have a 20-25 cent/ kWh rate. 250 miles for $15 is not spectacular. 250 miles if you are lucky and it is not too cold.

Last edited:
They updated the regular Bolt and made a slightly larger Bolt. The current one is pretty small and supposedly has a choppy ride according to Consumers. It makes a perfect city commuter. 120volts would take too long, about 40 hours. A 7kw charger wouldn’t kill your panel, probably. 3400 watts on each leg draw at 6.8 kw, but even that it takes about 8 hours to go from 0 to full I believe. Depending on your electric rate it isn’t that cheap. Some gas cars are just as cheap to run if you have a 20-25 cent/ kWh rate. 250 miles for $15 is not spectacular. 250 miles if you are lucky and it is not too cold.
With delivery I'm below $.20/kWh. Around $.16 to $.18 depending on delivery and usage. My panel is completely full without any space for another 220 circuit. I already have duplex breakers for most of the 120 circuits. And as I go through and sort out the electrical in the house I'm still adding more 120 circuits.

With delivery I'm below $.20/kWh. Around $.16 to $.18 depending on delivery and usage. My panel is completely full without any space for another 220 circuit. I already have duplex breakers for most of the 120 circuits. And as I go through and sort out the electrical in the house I'm still adding more 120 circuits.
Panels are pretty inexpensive, maybe get a big one and have spaces left and no tandems. I have a Square D QO replacement sub panel, sure like it. The Siemens is good too but not sure if the new ones have a copper bus. The QO has a covered, plated copper bus and plug on neutrals. It depends if you have electric stove, ac, dryer and all that if you could add the ev dedicated outlet. 120 for a pure ev isn’t going to work don’t think.

120 for a pure ev isn’t going to work don’t think.
Spot on, unless you really don't drive much or can charge at work (free or subsidized cost).
I tell people to figure out how they will charge before even thinking of an EV.

Our 2018 Mid-Range Model 3 charges at 4 MPH on 120; 28 MPH on the 240 NEMA 14-50 on a dedicated line.