New 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5 EB engine recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for Subaru owners recommendations on 0W-20 oil and filter.

Recommended OCI is 6K miles for normal service and 3K for severe service. I'm going to do a 2K change on the initial factory fill, then 5K intervals from then on. I'm mostly highway with some traffic but not too much.

What do you like?

Thank you so much.

Joe

With 0W20 and mostly highway driving, IDK! Try several different brands over your OCIs and see/feel what seems to make your engine drive/feel best. Every Suby 2.5 owner will have different opinions on what they like.

Pennzoil is a popular choice but brand doesn't really matter, oil or filter, IMO. I'd stick with the OEM filter while under warranty, but using an aftermarket filter with a lower bypass valve setting is really not an issue either.

Any of the popular name brand oils should also be able to go the full 6k miles on an interval.

I have another week or two to decide. I'm thinking about trying the new Shell Rotella gas truck oil and maybe Subaru oem filter.

Char Baby,
Ps, I went to school in Rochester, RIT. I loved the town and miss it.

Last edited:
What is a EB engine? I think you mean FB25.

We are on our 8th Subaru. Most have been foresters with EJ and FB engines, though there was a SVX and a Justy in the mix
smile.gif

I've tired all kinds of oil - but formulation are changing.

Had a lot of consumption with the Pennzoil Platinum, Wasnt enamoured of the Valvoline Advanced.
Subaru Synthetic is good though it used to be a very thin 20 grade. Had reasonable luck with Mobil 1 EP which is purported to be a real high group synthetic.

I am Running Magnetec 5w20 in the FB20 no issue there other than the usual dry start.
But I feel the the convenient though questionable inverted filter is going to kill the timing system regardless of what you run.
The Fram-a-roo Blue service part filters empty out in a couple of minutes after a hot shutdown and the engine has horrendous chain noise for about a minute after start. The engine didn't do this when new with the Factory Toyo Roki filter.

Good luck and if you get timing noise go back to the dealer service and hound them. Dont let them pass it off as a "subaru sound" This engin eis silent as anything when operating properly - the FB series has hydraulic lash adjuster so no tick tick and piston slap as in the wonderful , superior oversquare EJ engine. Yep I liked that motor.

Good luck. - Ken

Originally Posted by 2002_tdinut
I have another week or two to decide. I'm thinking about trying the new Shell Rotella gas truck oil and maybe Subaru oem filter.

Char Baby,
Ps, I went to school in Rochester, RIT. I loved the town and miss it.

Well then, you must come back for visit.
RIT is a great school and their grads are always among the most desired for hire in the engineering world.

FB25 has direct injection starting on 2019 models.

Because of that, I would go for a low Noack, low saps oil and changing it often, as prescribed in your manual.

QSUD is a great oil, cheap and low Noack that would be my recommendation for a 0w-20.

Filter, I have found the OEM ok, but the can is flimsy, and after all it is an "orange can of delight" (had to change the name, it is censored now, hahaha) painted in blue.

I like the Wix 57055 a lot for Subaru engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Was the "2.5 EB" a typo, or am I missing out on a new engine ?

I need to check but that's from the owners manual. I think it has been tweaked a little bit.

I stand corrected, FB25.

Last edited:
I had the standard efi fb25 in a outback and forester...both 2014. They are notorious oil burners and have been the subject of much issue.

Neither of mine used any notable amount. I ran M1ep and [censored] frams to 10k with great uoas. Could have gone much further but was required to do it at 10.

Later I ran ep to 15k and gram ultras for 2 ocis...30k. Again great uoas. All was 0w20.

Trans failed on both vehicles...or was beginning to when I traded them in.

Beware...it's a bad trans and extremely expensive to replace...because they cannot be repaired. 1st and last cvts for me

Last edited:
I was initially against a CVT and have read about issues. I'm cautiously optimistic. Several coworkers are several friends bought Subarus recently. Safety in numbers? God willing.

I have the 6 speed in my 2018 Forester, there are times I wish I had a CVT in it .

I've tried various oils in mine. M1 AFE seemed to burn 1/2 quart over the 6K OCI. The factory fill didn't have a problem, nor did the supertech and castrol I ran after the AFE. Although, mine being a manual will see higher highway revs than your CVT ever will ... I really wouldn't be concerned with oil consumption on a CVT

Not the same engine, but a 2015 Forester XT here, approaching 100k kms and it does not burn oil a bit.

My favorite oils for those FB25s is Idemitsu 0W-20. PP comes in second. I use the OEM service Fram filter, Wix 57055 or the Toyota 90915-YZZS1 filter for the FA20 in the FR-S/FT-86/BRZ.

Stick to a Dexos1 Generation 2 oil for that DI FB25.

I would highly recommend the NAPA Gold FIL 7055 (AKA Wix 57055). It's a good filter and it meets the Subaru bypass specification. The OEM Subaru 15208AA15A is a good filter too. But some may not like it, as it is constructed identical to Fram filters.

For oil, I've used Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Mobil 1 AFE, Mobli 1 EP, Mobil 1 HM, Royal Purple HP, and Idemitsu Full Synthetic. The only one of these that I cannot recommend is the Royal Purple HP. My FB25 is one of those from the 2013-2014 time when many of the FB25 engines burn oil. And the RP HP went through my engine faster than any of the others. And all except the RP HP have yielded excellent UOA results.

My 18 Forester. Used mag1 first change then dealer then valvoline advanced the last 2 changes. First change at 3500 then all 6000.

I found that all filters (Toyo, blue or and wix) have drained down fast but luckily the valve train is pretty quiet after some startup clatter. I couldn't tell any difference between the different combinations. Sticking to valvoline and wix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back