New 2017 chevy allison question

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the owners manual it says use dexron5? I thought they all used transyd since 06 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no fluid designating "Dexron5"

You probably mean DexronVI, which is one of the current GM spec fluids. If the manual says DexronVI, then use it.

Originally Posted By: mewisemagic
In the owners manaul it says use dexron5? I thought they all used transyd since 06 ?

Rex VI has been in those transmissions for a few years now. When I had mine, I did a UOA and it performed well.

For most pickup truck applications, you could run your Allison on kerosene and be fine. That box was designed for 30,000 pound school buses. But TES-295 is really good stuff, Dex VI is just OK.

Your owner's manual may also specify TES-295 for cold climates. The manual for my 2013 does. I plan on doing the double drain and fill, which according to Tom, the former Allison fluid engineer who posted here several years back, is considered as good as the tranny being 100% filled with TES-295.

TES-295 apparently has an extremely long life, and is extremely resistant to high temperatures. No brainer for me to dump the Dex VI factory fill and replace it with TES-295. I'll do mileage based UOAs to confirm that it is good, and plan on running it for a long time.

We ran TES-295 Transynd for 75,000 miles in NYC Sanitation trash trucks (considered one of the toughest applications), drained it out, brought it to the Allison lab, used that oil to fill a new transmission and ran the standard "lifetime" validation test (can't tell you how long, but it's a very stringent test). Everything was fine on both the oil and the transmission internals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back