New (2010) Commercial Antivirus Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
running the free online scan now. we'll see ho it goes vs sophos. thing is I can get sophos free.

The ESET online scanner will actually clean the viruses out of your system. The NAV scanner will not but will tell you how many you have so you can buy their product.
smirk2.gif

That is if you have viruses of course...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The ESET online scanner will actually clean the viruses out of your system. The NAV scanner will not but will tell you how many you have so you can buy their product.
smirk2.gif

That is if you have viruses of course...

lol.gif
in NAV's defence, i think ESET is being being particularly generous.

Why? Wouldn't people buy the software anyways... I mean who wants to keep going to a website and doing a scan?

I think it leaves a good taste in the consumers mouth if they provide a "good will" service in a time of need. That is the true way to seal a deal IMO.
wink.gif

We are talking about it aren't we???

stevie: ESET online found this

C:\WINDOWS\system32\kjkmp.bak1 Win32/Adware.Virtumonde.NEO application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kjkmp.bak2 Win32/Adware.Virtumonde.NEO application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kjkmp.ini2 Win32/Adware.Virtumonde.NEO application cleaned by deleting - quarantined

whereas Sophos did not. I'm almost sold.

I used the Nod32 AV for several years with very good results, then went with their suite when that came out. It worked very well for one XP machine, while on my XP Pro machine the firewall would never install.

I had to get my money refunded, as tech support took over a week for each reply, and they quickly ran me up to the one month money back deadline. Even so it took some harsh talk to get the refund. If not for that experience, I would be happy to try them again.

The days of standaslone AV's has passed, integrasted packages are the go now. The malware coders are way to advanced and by the time your traditional AV company works out there's a problem, creates a fix, then pushes it out in a daily update it's way to late and the damage has been done. Waiting for your system to be infected then removing the infection is old hat and basically useless. PREVX is the exception to this and does the fixing in the 'cloud' so yo speak instead of at the desktop. hence it's use my most IT pro's needing a quick fix. New ways to beat infections had to be found and stopping them in the first place had to be the new direction. Symantec 18 months back got serious and utilising the billions at their disposal started on a new path. The industry quickly took notice and more so of their willingless to listen to the clients. Building the lightest, fastet, best fireawll, least memory footprint sw was the goal, a tough ask but they succedded admirably. Very few companies have the funds or willingness to do what Symantec did and are continuing to do. PC Mag said they have moved the goal posts, very few companies have the resources to respond. Passmark.com put NIS 2010 ahead of KIS 2010 into the top spot as well..

Originally Posted By: crinkles
stevie: ESET online found this

C:\WINDOWS\system32\kjkmp.bak1 Win32/Adware.Virtumonde.NEO application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kjkmp.bak2 Win32/Adware.Virtumonde.NEO application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kjkmp.ini2 Win32/Adware.Virtumonde.NEO application cleaned by deleting - quarantined

whereas Sophos did not. I'm almost sold.
Yup.
thumbsup2.gif

"Also... You can install it on as many computers as you own using the same username/password you get from them. I have it on 5. Try that with Symantec. "

I couldn't find that licensing on their site...?

It's because it's not "officially" allowed. Hence the reason why I had the -->
whistle.gif
icon...

They don't know and if they do they don't care...

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
Some of the new suites are coming out now. I got a good deal on Norton 2010 and decided to take the leap since I've heard they changed a bunch of stuff. I'll give them credit that they did a very nice job with the program without using a ton of resources.

Has anyone else gotten a new commercial security software suite lately, and how does it run?

Not to put your purchase down but I just spent 2 days disinfecting a friends DELL computer which was loaded with viruses and had Norton on it. (Yes it was the latest version and up to date) It said the scan was "Clean" then would reboot and find more viruses on the fly. It would clean them out, I would run a scan and it would say the system was clean but then show up again in 20 minutes.

I uninstalled Norton put on ESET and cleaned them off and restored the computer to proper use. ESET also found other Trojans which Norton didn't find and was never listed in the scan history from Norton. ?!?
54.gif

Needless to say my friend spent the money for an ESET license for their "Smart Security" software and is trusting me from now on. (Told him a while ago Norton was a dog)

That to me is real world proof that Norton is still way off base.

I'm not saying you have to use ESET but, if you see what I saw with Norton you would be running away from Symantec. This is not the first time I have seen this and is why I don't trust them any longer.

They are like Fram, well marketed but not the greatest on the market. Don't let the colourful yellow boxes fool you. It's garbage. JMO.
wink.gif

Did this person install it from a torrent? I know a lot of people who have gotten software packages laced with malware through them.

No he purchased the NAV from the NAV site as he has done 3 years in a row and for 3 years in a row I tried to talk him into other software... 3 Years in a row I cleaned out viruses NAV didn't catch.
frown.gif

Now he listened and got ESET. T/G

when i look at my processes in windows task manager, i see about 6 or 7 "SVCHOST.EXE" processes. what are these?

Also... You can install it on as many computers as you own using the same username/password you get from them. I have it on 5.
whistle.gif
Try that with Symantec.
wink.gif

It's because it's not "officially" allowed. Hence the reason why I had the -->
whistle.gif
icon...

They don't know and if they do they don't care...

If you paid for a one system license and installed it on five systems you are stealing software! If you like the protection provided by ESET please support it's developers by paying for the number of licenses you are using. Paying for one license and installing it on 5 systems is no different than paying for one quart of oil and taking five.
I'm always amazed how many people are willing to publicly state they are stealing software, if you walked out of a restaurant without paying the bill would it be a whistle and a wink?

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I just upgraded from NIS 2009 to NIS 2010. 2009 was the lightest fastest package there was from all reports and my raft of engineers where I work. 2010 is even better. The 2009 install, 2010 upgrade, the level of support was astonishing and I'm a 30 year jaded IT veteran. I wish everything in IT was as easy and fast as this. Symantec have made a big change in how they are doing things. and for that we should all be grateful. PC Mag has NIS 2010 Editors Choice already and it's only ben out a fewdays. Good riddance to the Panda Platinum Internet Security it replaced.

Hopefully, it's gotten drastically better than the resource sucking pig that I've dealt with in the past. I've been using Avast now (the free version) for years and have yet to get any digital social diseases from the Interwebz. I can't imagine paying for a commercial package until such time as I encounter something that the free stuff won't protect me from.

Originally Posted By: Gradient
If you paid for a one system license and installed it on five systems you are stealing software! If you like the protection provided by ESET please support it's developers by paying for the number of licenses you are using. Paying for one license and installing it on 5 systems is no different than paying for one quart of oil and taking five.
I'm always amazed how many people are willing to publicly state they are stealing software, if you walked out of a restaurant without paying the bill would it be a whistle and a wink?

smirk2.gif
I sleep just fine...

The way I see it, I paid for the software so it is mine to use how I like. I'm not a business using it to protect my profits I'm an end user. If I own 5 PC's then I should be able to use it on 5 PC's. JMO.

Whatever you feel is the right thing is fine, I'm just not ok with it for me so I choose to buy a single license to get me the software so I can use it on my personally owned devices.

Not like I'm reselling it or redistributing it...

I do the same for my copy of Office, Windows XP etc. I break the licensing problems and use it on all my personally owned devices... NO ONE is going to tell me what to do with something I purchased. Sorry.
31.gif

Do you own multiple copies of the same music CD? One for each player in your house? C'Mon... Don't tell me that is "Different" either...

Originally Posted By: Gradient

smirk2.gif
I sleep just fine...

The way I see it, I paid for the software so it is mine to use how I like. I'm not a business using it to protect my profits I'm an end user. If I own 5 PC's then I should be able to use it on 5 PC's. JMO.

Whatever you feel is the right thing is fine, I'm just not ok with it for me so I choose to buy a single license to get me the software so I can use it on my personally owned devices.

Not like I'm reselling it or redistributing it...

I do the same for my copy of Office, Windows XP etc. I break the licensing problems and use it on all my personally owned devices... NO ONE is going to tell me what to do with something I purchased. Sorry.
31.gif

Do you own multiple copies of the same music CD? One for each player in your house? C'Mon... Don't tell me that is "Different" either...

I can hardly sleep tonight, why? Well,I recently came across a 3-PC license for Kaspersky 8.0 for FREE,since I didnt have to pay for it(It was given to me
21.gif
)

I might feel guilty if I install it
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back