New '09 Honda Civic Recommendations???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, why isn't the s2000's superior oil filter used by the rest of the Hondacura fleet? cost? Why didn't Honda's long engineering test find those power steering and transmission issues?

As long as you use a full synthetic, there really is no thick/thin argument here. So, use a full synthetic 5w20 or 5w30 and follow the oil life monitor for changes.
But, since you said you wanted to keep the vehicle a long time, make sure you change it at least once a year or every 10k miles since I still don't have full faith in OLM or any OE engineering.

And, don't forget to maintain the transmission too. Pick an interval more aggressive then what the owners manual states and stick with it.

THANK YOU, for all your interesting replies. Lots of "food for thought".

All in all, it seems like a quality 5W-20 is safe to use. Yesterday, I spoke with a Honda mechanic & he recommended the 5W-20 saying they are having no problems with that blend in the Civic application, here in Phoenix.

I would like what is good for my car while maintaining the warranty.

Thanks, again, for all your interesting suggestions & recommendations.

BTW, the Civic EX IS a very nice car to drive. I'm getting around 25 mpg. around town & just got 34.844 mpg on a trip to the mountains. A lot better than my diesel pick-ups.

Joe F.

Originally Posted By: Joseph Fihn
. . . t seems like a quality 5W-20 is safe to use. Yesterday, I spoke with a Honda mechanic & he recommended the 5W-20 saying they are having no problems with that blend in the Civic application, here in Phoenix.

I would like what is good for my car while maintaining the warranty. . . . Joe F.

You know, Joe, you're going to take all the fun out of this thread if you decide to use what's listed owner's manual and recommended by a Honda mechanic. We were sort of hoping you'd opt for Unobtainium oil (See The Unfair Advantage) and have your JDM Toyo Roki S2k filters flown in from Tokyo.
grin2.gif

You bought a good car, Joe. Enjoy it.

Some of the replies, here, make for brilliant, humorous reading along with being very informative. Thank you.

This car's warranty has value, to me, also. After being reminded of the warranty requirements, I think I'll stick to what the factory recommends. I do have filter & oil brand decisions, to make.

I read of the controversy with the 5W-20 (thin) oils & that is what started me to think & ask questions on this site. I live in a harsh environment & don't want to do damage to a perfectly good engine. I'm beginning to feel more comfortable with the 5W-20, at this time. Hope I'm not proven wrong. However, I hope it's safe to assume that Honda knows more about what is the best oil weight for their engines, than I do, even in desert environ's.

This site is wonderful!!! The ability to sit in front of one's computer & ask questions about things that are making me a bit uncomfortable & to get great answers & suggestions is invaluable.

Thanks for all your help.

Joe F.

Originally Posted By: Joseph Fihn
THANK YOU, for all your interesting replies. Lots of "food for thought".

All in all, it seems like a quality 5W-20 is safe to use. Yesterday, I spoke with a Honda mechanic & he recommended the 5W-20 saying they are having no problems with that blend in the Civic application, here in Phoenix.

I would like what is good for my car while maintaining the warranty.

Thanks, again, for all your interesting suggestions & recommendations.

BTW, the Civic EX IS a very nice car to drive. I'm getting around 25 mpg. around town & just got 34.844 mpg on a trip to the mountains. A lot better than my diesel pick-ups.

Joe F.

Is the 25MPG figure the running average for the car? We're talking about the 140-hp, 1.8-liter, 16-valve SOHC i-VTEC® 4-cylinder engine, right?

rshunter,

The engine IS the 140 HP, stock motor with the 5-speed automatic transmission.

The 25 mpg's. are what I'm getting from IN TOWN driving.

Last Sat., I drove to Tucson & back (300 miles, all flat, highway driving of about 62 mph.) & got a bit over 36 mpg. The car has a bit over 1000 miles on it, now.

Thanks for your replies.

Joe F.

Originally Posted By: Gurney

On the other hand, there have been well-documented instances of camshaft galling in high-mileage k-series engines (such as yours). (See, e.g., ephatch.com; Honda-tech.com; vtec.net; etc. Search "camshaft galling".) I leave it to you to judge whether these documented instances of camshaft galling and/or other wear are related to high-rpm abuse, high mileage, the use of 5W-20 weight oil, or a combination of these things.

Actually, non-Si Civics use a SOHC engine - 2006 and up is the R18 series, 2005 and older is the D series.

Honda actually specs thicker oils abroad, the JDM literature states 10W-30 can also be used. However, in the LDAx Insight/Civic Hybrid and JDAx Accord Hybrid apps 0W-20 MUST BE USED worldwide.

Last edited:
You are correct, of course, nthach. As you may have noticed, I have strong opinions WRT the 5W-20/5W-30 issue, and too often end up with the bit in my teeth. When I posted my comments in response to Mr. Fihn's original question, I pulled a portion of my post here from another board and didn't catch (and delete) the parenthetical "such as yours". Thank you for not saying "Ah, HA!"

Also, I was aware of Honda's ROW oil recommendations. I haven't had much luck getting that point across here.

I'm new here but would like to recommend for DIY honda people this site. Specificaly the S2000 page. I buy the 6 pack S2000 PCX-004 oil filters here. Almost half the cost the dealership will charge for these filters(around here at least).

I have been running the S2000 filter on all my "Honda's" I am not sure if the S2000 oil filter will fit the '09 a simple search could lead to an answer. Maybe on a civic specific website.

For the past year and a half I've run the filter with no problems. I believe this filter is superior to Hondas other FRAM made oil filters. Mind you I was running conventional oil in my fleet. Now the Integra and CR-V get 5w-30 and the civic gets 5w-20. As spec'd by all cars, thanks to this website.

All the cars are going for a Oil Change Interval of 7500 miles and a UOA will be done to determine how each responds to said OCI. Current and first fill is Royal Purple (sale) Next up is the Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy. (Rebate). Trying to keep Oil change prices down.

Pertaining to the OP. Yes just use the 5w-20 spec'd by Honda. But a better quality oil filter exists. Honda trusts Fram to build a filter to last for the recommend OCI. But for me the S2000 oil filter will filter better and longer and does not contain treated paper.

Thanks Bobistheoilguy.com Great site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually Honda engines outlast the rest of the car with normal maintenance and with out syn oil. Syn oil helps in extended oil change intervals and in below 0*f starts and when the oil temps get over 275+*f

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Ford in a Honda.... NO WAY

I've been using it in my TL. I'm switching to PP 5w20 but still... nothing wrong with this oil. It's made by ConocoPhilips.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Actually, non-Si Civics use a SOHC engine - 2006 and up is the R18 series, 2005 and older is the D series.

Honda actually specs thicker oils abroad, the JDM literature states 10W-30 can also be used. However, in the LDAx Insight/Civic Hybrid and JDAx Accord Hybrid apps 0W-20 MUST BE USED worldwide.

100% correct. I have just bought one week ago one 2009 Civic ES (it's the European equivalent of EX), and the dealer reccomended me to use only 5W40 synthetic oil. In general, all the dealers reccomend either 5W30 or 5W40. I never understood why.

Originally Posted By: Delphi
Originally Posted By: nthach
Honda actually specs thicker oils abroad, the JDM literature states 10W-30 can also be used. However, in the LDAx Insight/Civic Hybrid and JDAx Accord Hybrid apps 0W-20 MUST BE USED worldwide. [/font]

100% correct. I have just bought one week ago one 2009 Civic ES (it's the European equivalent of EX), and the dealer reccomended I use only 5W40 synthetic oil. In general, all the dealers reccomend either 5W30 or 5W40. I never understood why.

The "why" stems, in part, from our (USA) Corporate Average Fuel Economy ("CAFE") regulations. The penalty for failing to meet USA CAFE standards recently increased from $5.00 to $5.50 per tenth of a mile per gallon for each tenth under the prescribed federal standard times the total number of vehicles manufactured for a given model year. It's potentially a lot of money. A less viscous oil aids fuel economy. Additionally, HMC anticipates its automobiles sold outside the U.S. will be driven at higher engine speeds for longer periods, necessitating a higher weight oil.

I ran Motorcraft 5w-20 for the first 2 oil changes on my 07 civic ex with manual. I then switched to PP 5w20 since. The OLM is smarter than you think. Spent 6 months near SF (mostly freeway) and my OLM was done to 15% after about 11000 miles. Now that I do tons of freeway driving in Palm Desert (temps are almost as hot as AZ,easily gets to 110-115) my OLM is now calling for changes around 8000 miles.

"I live in Phoenix, AZ. (HOT, desert conditions with some mountain driving)"

I have run our 2004 Honda Element 2.4 VTec on 0W-20 or 5W-20 synthetic with Pure One oil filters since new... now at 100,000 miles engine runs beautifully with essentially zero oil consumption over the 7K interval I use.

Car is driven Wyoming and Colorado with lots of highway and extended 7% grade mountain driving but rarely heavy loads

Now my thinking for Phoenix temps often over 100 degree is I'd feel safer with a robust XW-30 full synthetic.

I might use German Castrol 0W-30... but I'd feel OK with Castrol Edge 5W-30, and after that in no particular order: Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, Mobil 1 5W-30, Valvoline Synpower etc.

I'd look for a good filter that is easy to find and keep a spare in the car...and change at 80% or 90% of the OLM.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Wierd to see this on the Euro oils Forum, but there is a little 5w-40 content?

Not really, this is the "European and Import Motor Oils" forum. Last I heard, a Honda was still considered an import, even if we do build a massive proportion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back