Never waxed ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a '96 Sidekick that looks like it never saw wax or polish? Some of the clear coat around the edges of the hood appear to have pealed away. Not looking for showroom of course but what can I do to put some shine to it ? Don't want to take it to a body shop just what I could do in the driveway to spruce it up an maybe prevent further oxidation

IMG_0585.PNG

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
The thread below might give you some hope:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-paint-job-with-major-issues#Post3042950

But a quick and easy way would be to wash, clay then 3 coats of Nunfinish. The gloss should get better after each application.

As a previous NuFinish user myself (Now I pay a guy because I have a bad back and use what he likes), I would agree with SS advice.

You should use a compound like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and not skip that step because that is what takes off the oxidized paint.

Wash, clay, compound, polish, then wax.

I would not use NuFinish myself but if you do use it that sort of combines the polish/wax step.

That paint is shot. I think your wasting your time. That old Suzuki has a certain patina not to be ashame of.
However, on Youtube, there are people who do sub $100 paint jobs themselves and they don't turn half bad.

I don't mind leaving it the way it is but was just wondering if there was anything I could do lol

Wash with a high pH soap like Purple Power vehicle and boat wash. Get some Ardex brand Hard At It compound, apply it. Then polish with Turtle Wax Polishing Compound. Wash again with Purple Power. Wax with the world standard Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Enjoy the shine and brilliant beading.

slomo

It's painfully obvious in the picture the clear coat HAS FAILED. Your wasting your time trying to do anything that will ever make the paint shine at all. Save the money on the "care care" products and buy a cheap Macco paint job.

I tried several products in conjunction with a DA polisher on my old 1st gen S-10. The roof looked a lot like your hood. Your clear has failed, and base coat isn't designed to shine. It may look a little better and bead water, like mine did, but the only permanent cure for this is to sand and re-clear, if your base doesn't fail during that process.

And older AWD vehicle with bad paint like this Sidekick screams for mud effect paint. Few may realize the finish is shot, and while some people may think you should wash your car they may also admire the adventurous look. Of course, if they figure out the mud is a fraud, they will lose all respect for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back