Never seen this before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Kumho finally called me back. The engineer said it's cosmetic. They are safe. As a goodwill, they will prorate the tires for me. The guy at America's was going to give me $44.00 prorate per tire. I have 6/32nd on them. I wonder if Kumho would give me more per tire? The woman at Kumho said for the tire shop guy to call her with the readings.

Seeing they are safe to drive on. I still don't have $400.00 for a new set of tires right now. I like the 4X's, but I might switch back to another brand next time around.

I'm struggling with what the "engineer said". Yes, aside from a vibration, the issue is largely cosmetic - that is, there aren't any structural issues and the tire will very, very likely be OK for the rest of its life.

HOWEVER, this is clearly something that looks terribly bad and ought to be covered by the warranty. The fact that they offered a "goodwill" adjustment just might be their way of avoiding an admission of fault while handling things for the customer.

Its not very much goodwill there..

I think they should do more like

"4 free tires you just pay mount and balance"

adjustment.

If it were my company and tyres, I'd want them off the street pronto, and pay to make them gone.

Particularly if some guy wanders up at a service station and asks about it and the owner says "Kumho say that it's perfectly normal".

It looks like the vulcanizing did not complete where the rubber was trimmed off when the carcass was processed.

I think OP should make a short video and post it on Youtube, also email local TV stations about it, Kumho will pay to replace those tires quickly after some viewers' comments.

The video title: "Kumho Defective Tires but Refuse to Take it Back"

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think OP should make a short video and post it on Youtube, also email local TV stations about it, Kumho will pay to replace those tires quickly after some viewers' comments.

The video title: "Kumho Defective Tires but Refuse to Take it Back"

First, Kumho DID agree to take them back - they are just doing it under a "Goodwill" provision.

You can argue about the prorated adjustment - but that's standard in the industry and not only legal, but courts hold that as a principle for pretty much everything made.

I think they should prorate the mounting, balancing, recycle fee, valve stem, etc as well because this is not a cost that you should have pay for if the tires were not having this "cosmetic defect". If you have paid for any road hazard warranty ask them to prorate that too as you would have lost it.

As a customer you already wasted time on this, and shouldn't be paying for all of your out of pocket cost as well. You didn't buy a blem, and who knows whether they really have manufacturer defects and are just covering up as a cosmetic defect to make you feel warm and fuzzy.

I had two opinions on the tires. One of them was a Kumho engineer. The cuts were caused by some kind of road debris. They are cosmetic, and not a defect. Kumho and America's Tire said they are safe. I don't have the money to shell out after the prorate, for a new set of tires. I have zero issues driving on them after what I was told.

Thanks for the help guys.

If I were you, I'd always have a nagging voice in the back of my head telling me not to drive too hard on these tires, even if the manufacturer told me they were safe and that I was only seeing a cosmetic defect.
I'd be curious as to how much money Kumho will offer you as a prorated adjustment.
Kumho might just surprise you and offer a generous prorate, in which case kudos to them.
Just for grins, you might want to pass this along to NHTSA.
Here is a link:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

Yours cannot be the only set of tires with this problem, and NHTSA might take a different view of its severity.
This would prompt a review by an outside third party with the authority to order a recall and free replacement if a safety issue really does exist.

I checked all 4 tires. The cut is in different locations on all 4. That tells me it isn't a mold defect.

The Kumho's are gone. I went to another America's Tire. I told them the story. He crunched some numbers. He said, they will give $83.00 per tire prorate. That's double what the other America's were going to give me. They had very limited supply of 225/40/18 tires. Most were tire designs that came out over 5+ years ago. The two that peaked my interest for the Nitto Motivo and Yokohama YK580. I read some good reviews from a few car magazines on the Motivo's. I went with them. They are made at the Toyo plant in Georgia. I paid $324.00 OTD. I guess for a peace of mind. It's worth it. The wife is happier now also.
wink.gif

photo16_zps297bf30e.jpg

You should get that pro-rate amount from the first AT location. Either fill out this form and mail it, or fill out online for $100 Visa prepaid card. The rebate is for So Cal,

but just mail it and if you get nothing out of it then your cost is only 45 cents stamp.

http://www.discounttire.com/pdf/cao100VisaRebateFormFeb2013.pdf

Of the two, Nitto Motivo and Yokohama YK580, I think Nitto is a little better overall.

I really like the yk580 vs the older 520

but those tires you got do seem very nice.

I just noticed this same type of 'defect' on my GF's IS250 which currently has the Kumho Ecsta 4X tires on it [when I get a chance I will snap a pic of it and post it]. My sister's Mazda3 has the same tires, but I have not yet noticed this defect. I just got new Ecsta 4X tires for my Mazda6 and will keep a close eye out for this as the tires wear. All four of my tires for the Mazda6 [235-45/18] were made in the 37th or 38th week in 2012. Can't recall when my GF's tires were made or when the ones on my sister's car were made, but I'm wondering if my GF's tires were made in the same week as the ones in your pictures, could have been a bad run of tires that week. That I see this same looking defect in the same kind of tire on a different car leads me to believe it's something inherent in this tire, a defect and not road damage, as I have never seen something like this in another passenger car tire I've ever ran.

Please take some pics and post. I would send the pics to Jessica Gomez at Kumho USA. They need to see this.

If there are more than similar "defect", pictures as proof, then I will contact Kumho to see what will they say.

We may be able to contact NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) with these pictures so they can investigate.

Currently I have Kumho 4X on 2 of my cars, I had them installed less than 3-4 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back