Never promise your kids anything!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never promise your kids anything. They remember!!! I promised my son that when he went to college I would give him my 2006 Toy P/U. Yesterday he approached my and said Dad I want your P/U now that I am going to college as You promised. I tossed him the keys
thumbsup2.gif
They grow up so fast.

Wow, you are a nice Dad! Giving your college-bound son a 2006 model to take and park in a dorm/college parking lot. I have a 99' Corolla that has the scars of college parking lots. I am glad it is a 99' model as it makes me cringe a little less when I look at them!

I have found that out with my 2.5 and 4 year old daughters. Both remember things I said from weeks or even months prior.

Originally Posted By: troyh
Incentive to keep him is school!
Yup, and I believe it can often work. I promised a young family friend whose mom is my wife's best friend, that if he finished well in HS, and got into college, that I would buy him a new laptop computer for college. That was several years ago, that I made that promise and as you can bet he didn't forget either! He starts his college career in a few weeks...I did put conditions on the purchase--no game software, and if he fails, or quits--I get the computer! I hope for his sake he gets to keep it.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Never promise your kids anything. They remember!!! I promised my son that when he went to college I would give him my 2006 Toy P/U. Yesterday he approached my and said Dad I want your P/U now that I am going to college as You promised. I tossed him the keys
thumbsup2.gif
They grow up so fast.
That is/was a very admirable gesture. Who really knows what goes on in a teenagers mind or what it really takes to motivate them! You've probably given him a life lesson on making and keeping promises-a character trait that will surely advance him in adulthood. IMO, you have performed a very commendable parenting skill.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I have found that out with my 2.5 and 4 year old daughters. Both remember things I said from weeks or even months prior.

Haven't we all learned that women never forget anything us guys say?
lol.gif

Not bad. My dad sort of gave me a rusty $1800 Grand Am while I was in university so that I could go away for over a year to do an internship. I say 'sort of' because after I got smoked head-on in it a few years later he wanted the $900 that I got from the insurance company for it, since he still considered it to be his. I suppose I'm lucky he didn't demand the other $900 plus interest.

My 4 year old remembers stuff like that. It's great when he goes to bed at night, then gets up and sees something moved/changed in the house and asks about it immediately.
I'm sure my 9-month old is in training as well.
Well done on the car gift. Hopefully he respects it.

Your kid won't forget that.

Now make sure that thing has an alarm on it before he goes. Those dorm parking lots are a ... something very bad, anyway, and I had my car broken into when I was living at one. You're talking about a parking lot so large that even if the campus PD cared about keeping them from being broken into, they couldn't.

My father brought me a 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT last year so I could attend my college classes without any hassles. I ended up wrecking up the entire driver side of the car two months ago due to a side collision involving several gang bangers who were driving wrecklessly. Since I was driving at the wrong place at the wrong time, my father took away the $4,000 I recieved from the insurance co and told me to **** off with repairing the vehicle and spend all the money within one week on the bills and debts. My insurance agent hates me so much, that he is always calling me all sorts of names and insanity when I see him or talk to him due to my driving style and habits. I also ended up screwing up the insurance rates for myself and my parents.

Last edited:
Kids never forget. I remember my uncle promise me an ice cream soda when I was a kid if I play nice with my cousin, and that was 25 years ago.

Originally Posted By: S2500Dog
My father brought me a 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT last year so I could attend my college classes without any hassles.

When I went to college, I sold my car and motorcycle so I could attend to my studies without any hassles.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Kids never forget. I remember my uncle promise me an ice cream soda when I was a kid if I play nice with my cousin, and that was 25 years ago.

lol.gif
Did you get the ice cream soda?

Kids never forget broken promises either. When I was 15 my grand-dad bought a '65 Mustang and promised it to me for my 16th b-day. As it turned out he sold it before I turned 16, claiming it had a bad tranny.
33.gif

Daughters are the worse.....or women for that matter....they forget NOTHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back