Never Prefill oil filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I simply prefill filters just enough that the media absorbs it.
Unless it's a real tiny filter like some Nissans.
If the filter mounts fairly vertical, I fill it most of the way.

Why is it better?
Cuz I feel better about it.

But that's just me.

I do the same as well and have been for many years. I do look inside the filter for anything before filling, especially filters with no sealed cover.

When I worked in the quick lube I always prefilled filters. I always made a mess trying to soak the pleats on the cartridge filter of 2.2 ecotecs because otherwise the timing chain would rattle like crazy when I started it up dry.

I tried ways of funneling oil into the dirty side of the filter on my Caprice and Cutlass but it never worked out well. Now I realize I was just being a bit anal.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
When I've gone a while over the OCI (time or mileage) I might even pour a bit of new motor oil in there with the drain open to supposedly get out whatever gunk is in the pan. No shop is going to do that.

There's really no good reason to do that.

Y'all just need to do it "aircraft style"

With a dedicated "oil servicing cart" with a built in pump and filtration system that only delivers product to the vehicle (car/aircraft) via a dedicated "fine filtration system".

I guarantee there are some anal-retentive folks on here that would seriously consider doing just such a thing.

^^^^^^^^^^

lol.gif

How is there no good reason? I've had lots of people in that went way over on there oil change for whatever reason and I felt bad for then. Black oil, extremely dirty and the oil is still almost black after changing it. Run it for a minute and drain it again. This was bulk oil, nobody was going to miss 4 more QTS in bulk.

Would it be better if they drove it for a few days to circulate and then brought it back for another drain? Of course, but chances of them doing that were slim so I did what I could at the time to try to prevent them needing an engine replacement.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
How is there no good reason? I've had lots of people in that went way over on there oil change for whatever reason and I felt bad for then. Black oil, extremely dirty and the oil is still almost black after changing it. Run it for a minute and drain it again. This was bulk oil, nobody was going to miss 4 more QTS in bulk.

Would it be better if they drove it for a few days to circulate and then brought it back for another drain? Of course, but chances of them doing that were slim so I did what I could at the time to try to prevent them needing an engine replacement.

Stupid is as stupid does. A little oil flushed through the pan won't fix ANYTHING on an abused engine, and is just as dumb of an idea as running the oil WAY TOO LONG in the first place!

Run it for a minute and drain it again. This was bulk oil, nobody was going to miss 4 more QTS in bulk.

It's pretty obvious you've never owned your own business before.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Run it for a minute and drain it again. This was bulk oil, nobody was going to miss 4 more QTS in bulk.

It's pretty obvious you've never owned your own business before.

Working for years for the same wage for a huge company that gives zero crap about it's employees makes you not care so much. The employer I work for now tries to make it worth our while so I try to save him money. I don't care whether you understand or not.

When I've gone a while over the OCI (time or mileage) I might even pour a bit of new motor oil in there with the drain open to supposedly get out whatever gunk is in the pan. No shop is going to do that.

I get that. There's no really good reason to wait 15 minutes for there to be a slow drip either, but I've done that. And there's probably no real benefit to filling or even wetting an oil filter, and I've done that. However, in this subject we've discussed unfiltered contaminants creating wear on the "clean" side of the filter. I get that the "clean" side of a brand new filter isn't all that clean in itself. Or pouring new "unfiltered" oil on the valvetrain and/or cam lobes.

In the end what's going to be the most beneficial is an intact filtering system and simply changing the oil before all the additives are depleted.

I'm not even sure that filtering is as important as it used to be. We're getting longer and longer OCIs with better quality lubricants and additives. The recommendation for my wife's 2002 Civic (which was a long time ago) is for 10k OCIs with the filter being changed every other OCI. And the OEM filter (and the Purolator replacement I use) is rated at 25 micron. I guess part of it would be that letting more through means it doesn't plug up as easily.

And somehow automakers are specifying smaller and smaller filters, when we used to worry about how much capacity they had. I remember obsessing over how to get an oversized filter in certain cars. But I look at the tiny filter that goes in my WRX and don't worry about it.

I guarantee there are some anal-retentive folks on here that would seriously consider doing just such a thing.

What's shocking is we haven't seen evidence of a bunch trying it already!

Agreed accomplishing nothing but giving the poster a warm feeling.

…….A lot of people who at least do simple fluid changes on their own cars do a lot of little things just to feel better about it. I certainly do. I usually let the oil drain to the point where it's barely dripping out of the drain hole, even though it might take 20 minutes to get to that point and it's only draining out one-tenth of a quart more. When I've gone a while over the OCI (time or mileage) I might even pour a bit of new motor oil in there with the drain open to supposedly get out whatever gunk is in the pan. No shop is going to do that. They want the drain to be quick - maybe 2 minutes where about 98% of what's coming out is out.....
I wouldn't do that because 'for me' the idea of wasting new oil would trump any benefit pouring new oil to drain out might provide. So unlike prefilling which I do, 'I' wouldn't feel better about doing that. Figure regular maintenance (now mostly 1 year ocis) with hot-ish oil, sump drain enough. I will say I now keep draining till after oil filter comes off, extra oil seems to come out with that. Some folks do filter first, which perhaps the preferable way, just always started with drain plug. Everyone has their own quirky methods and it's a benefit of diy.

As for 20 minute sump drain, after drain plug pulled I'm in no hurry. Pulling filter, preparing new one including lubing sealing gasket, cleaning drain plug and oil filter engine block gasket area all take time. No hurry to complete. I don't know if they still do but locally AAA used to advertise ~20 minute drain with OC. Correct though, most "quick lubes" not going to wait long. Even dealers not going to spend much time on oil drain.

When I was working at the garage still I would drive 45 minutes to work, so the car was good and hot, get there half an hour early to put my car up on the hoist before any customers arrived and usually let it drain all morning long while I worked. This was a Saturday so we only had 2 techs working and extra hoists free.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
I wouldn't do that because 'for me' the idea of wasting new oil would trump any benefit pouring new oil to drain out might provide. So unlike prefilling which I do, 'I' wouldn't feel better about doing that. Figure regular maintenance (now mostly 1 year ocis) with hot-ish oil, sump drain enough. I will say I now keep draining till after oil filter comes off, extra oil seems to come out with that. Some folks do filter first, which perhaps the preferable way, just always started with drain plug. Everyone has their own quirky methods and it's a benefit of diy.

As for 20 minute sump drain, after drain plug pulled I'm in no hurry. Pulling filter, preparing new one including lubing sealing gasket, cleaning drain plug and oil filter engine block gasket area all take time. No hurry to complete. I don't know if they still do but locally AAA used to advertise ~20 minute drain with OC. Correct though, most "quick lubes" not going to wait long. Even dealers not going to spend much time on oil drain.

And in the long run it's not likely to make a difference that a tenth of a quart more is out. It's a rounding error.

In my case I was changing oil brands and had a quarter of a quart of the previous one left. It was the first oil change after it sat in the garage for months because the transmission was toast and after I got it replaced with a rebuilt one. I might have started it maybe twice. And changed a year before the car got garaged. I didn't change the oil then because it didn't make sense for this temporary garage queen.

There was no rational basis for doing it, but I did anyways. There's no rational basis to prefill an oil filter the size of a Purolator L14610 anyways. It'll fill up in a split second and the antiwear film and residual oil is going to provide adequate protection.

I guess the big thing is that changing the oil in a modern car because it's "dirty" is kind of silly. I've changed oil in cars where the color on the dipstick after a change is like new oil from a bottle. Others where there's 30% of the oil left after a change and it only lightens up. I still see advertising saying that one reason to change the oil is to remove contaminants. I rarely see anything that's says to renew depleted antiwear/antisoot/antisludge additives. Nothing about TBN. More frequent changes might help with sludge monsters, but so will a more sludge resistant motor oil at longer intervals.

I only use Archoil9100 in the measured amount that's prefilled in the Fram Ultra 7317. Let it soak 30 minutes and whamo! All my uoa have been good and all done with prefill method. If people are worried buy a better oil or a paint strainer and go about it that way. After seeing the grime and dirt that gets into a engine from the air filter it seems to me this is something that Is overkill to worry about. I spoke with Fram when they cut my filter and did analysis and was told that priming /prefill was fine. Look at those diesel filters that take half a qt or more to fill. Their oil light psi stays on for a few seconds. Guess those using archoil or rev-x are getting some ester & solid boundary lubrication?

Originally Posted by Sayjac
I don't know if they still do but locally AAA used to advertise ~20 minute drain with OC. Correct though, most "quick lubes" not going to wait long. Even dealers not going to spend much time on oil drain.

There's a place across the street from the JRN NAS Fort worth that advertises 5 minute oil changes!

In reality, it only takes a solid 60 seconds to drain a typical sump.
Once you get down to a "dribble", you got MOST of it out. Go ahead and put the plug back in.

I'm with the camp that doesn't like running unfiltered oil through the engine. Should be enough old oil is in the bearings.

I also use my filter for 2 OCIs, Which has the benefit of skipping a dry start cycle

There's anywhere from a pint to a quart + of used, filthy, semi-depleted moisture-laden oil hiding in every engine after a gravity drain & filter swap.
So don't even worry about the clean stuff you pour into the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back