Never change, Just add oil only?

Yeah I think cylinder shutoff has been problematic since the days of the Caddy V8-6-4. GM, Chrysler,and Honda have all had their struggles.
Yeah, it's the kind of thing that I question the validity of having it at all. I understand manufacturers are trying for better fuel economy, but the equation of bigger, heavier truck+"let's shut Down half the engine at random " seems to equal wiped out camshafts and excessive oil consumption. Not a good thing imo.

Had seen it done with UCIs years ago and the new quart of oil added basically refreshed the oil to complete acceptable levels

I haven’t had an oil burner or leaker like that in a long time but I would go for it

I have a friend like that. He owns a few cars and always sell off on the tenth year of the cars ownership. Put a bottle of engine oil in every car, checked and top up once awhile.
According to him, the cost of the cars maintenance does not warrant or justify the extra buck when you sell the cars.
To him, cars are just transportation tools.
I know when buy or sell cars, if got full service book can have extra $2k? Make sense only if the cars do not break down.

It is my plan after my next oil change.
I will be putting an Ultra on my F150 that uses a qt every 1200-1500 miles.
I don't plan on doing an oil or filter change for at least 5 years, if not more, just add oil as needed.
But then I only drive it ~2,500 miles a year.

I am curious to see how many have owned a vehicle where the oil was never changed, but just continually topped off, due to leaks or consumption, or whatever.

Would one fresh quart going in every 1000 miles be sufficient, assuming the filter was changed on a regular basis?
In high school i had this horrible 70 baby crap yellow AMC Gremlin with a 232 3 speed.....I never changed the oil in 4 years in HS .....it burned a quart every other fill-up....I got most of my gas at an EXXON so the cheapest 30wt exxon made.....I paid 800 for it and sold it for 500 if i remember right.....that was like 46 years ago. I think i put 2 tires and a battery plus oil and gas in it. My next car was a 75 Chevy Truck S/W.....I bought with 30k miles and drove it all through college
I hated the AMC so bad most days if weather was good I rode My 73 Suzuki TS185 to school....at least it looked cool.

Call me crazy but I am kinda in the middle of doing this right now. I have a 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5L that I will probably be trading in (or at least attempting to) before the end of the calendar year. It currently has a Fram Ultra oil filter with just over 12,000 miles of usage. My last oil change used Mobil 1 0w20 EP that consumed a quart of oil after 5000 miles and before 6000 miles so I added a quart of Valvoline 0w20 I had on hand.

Now in typical BITOG fashion I don't want that quart of Valvoline, that I paid $3.25 for, to go to waste. I think I should be able to get to at least 10,000 miles on this OCI before considering a change. But that being said I would still have about 5000 miles of usage left on the Fram Ultra (don't waste that mileage ya'll!) and the likelihood of another quart of oil being consumed by that point is very high. So I COULD just throw in another quart of oil and ride it out...
An engine that fresh consumed 1 qt.? I have no clue about Subaru functionality/build quality, but I'd be a bit pissed/concerned with ANY oil usage that early on. Is that part of the reason you're wanting to trade it?

An engine that fresh consumed 1 qt.? I have no clue about Subaru functionality/build quality, but I'd be a bit pissed/concerned with ANY oil usage that early on. Is that part of the reason you're wanting to trade it?

Subaru has had a thoroughly documented history of oil consumption since they got into using 0w20 oil in some model year 2013 engines. Subaru has acknowledged it to the point of even using expectative language in the most current owner's manuals.

It is not a factor contributing to why I want to trade the vehicle in though. Mind you that this is a 2018 Outback with over 112,000 miles.

Subaru has had a thoroughly documented history of oil consumption since they got into using 0w20 oil in some model year 2013 engines. Subaru has acknowledged it to the point of even using expectative language in the most current owner's manuals.

It is not a factor contributing to why I want to trade the vehicle in though. Mind you that this is a 2018 Outback with over 112,000 miles.
OK somewhat makes sense as I didn't see the part mentioned about the FILTER having 12K miles, but **** 112K on an '18 model?!? That's some insane driving.

Years ago I had a friend who bought a new Chevy truck. He never changed the oil. Last I knew it had 50K miles and was still running just fine, using a quart evey 2K miles or so. How long it ran I dunno.

I now do once a year on our Caddy (SBC) and V70 Volvo turbo. That's about 10-12K miles each. Both are at 150 K miles, run fine, use little to no oil between changes.

You could get away with that for a long time but personally I would drain the sump every few years just to remove any sediment that may be accumulating at the bottom of the pan. Lord knows an engine that worn is pumping all kinds of crap into the crankcase.

Back