Negative interest rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If all of this seems too outlandish, there is a more prosaic way of obtaining negative interest rates: through inflation. Suppose that, looking ahead, the Fed commits itself to producing significant inflation. In this case, while nominal interest rates could remain at zero, real interest rates — interest rates measured in purchasing power — could become negative. If people were confident that they could repay their zero-interest loans in devalued dollars, they would have significant incentive to borrow and spend.

Having the central bank embrace inflation would shock economists and Fed watchers who view price stability as the foremost goal of monetary policy. But there are worse things than inflation. And guess what? We have them today. A little more inflation might be preferable to rising unemployment or a series of fiscal measures that pile on debt bequeathed to future generations.

Ben S. Bernanke, the Fed chairman, is the perfect person to make this commitment to higher inflation. Mr. Bernanke has long been an advocate of inflation targeting. In the past, advocates of inflation targeting have stressed the need to keep inflation from getting out of hand. But in the current environment, the goal could be to produce enough inflation to ensure that the real interest rate is sufficiently negative.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/business/economy/19view.html

crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

This would SCREW people that are dependant on savings or fixed income.

This will screw EVERYONE in the long run.
frown.gif

It's rearranging the chairs on the deck of the titanic.

We've gotten in the hole from burrowing and spending, so why would burrowing and spending get us out of the hole?

I'd rather have a person living from paycheck to paycheck in the real world making monetary policy than the suits at the Fed.

Quote:
This would SCREW people that are dependant on savings or fixed income.

So? We've been screwed in other ways.

Sure sounds like an entitlement notion ..and a bit odd from someone like you.

"If this occurs, it will be "unfair"
frown.gif
"

I thought the low interest, low tax, high growth till it bust policy was in placed since Reagan, but only temporarily reduced during the Clinton times.

The choice we have is so limited right now: we either let most of the industry (auto, finance, insurance, government, defense, construction, etc) fail by not doing anything, or any other choices that will indirectly lead to inflation.

The money was already made, spent, and borrowed during the boom time, so you can only do so much in the bust time without filing for bankruptcy or going communist.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

The money was already made, spent, and borrowed during the boom time, so you can only do so much in the bust time without filing for bankruptcy or going communist.

If I would have said that...and you are on the right path.

Quote:
If this occurs, it will be "unfair"

smirk2.gif
Having the FED intentionally devalue the dollar is not some random event....
smirk2.gif

Didn't I say that this was the plan to pay back the impossible defecit ?

Inflate until it's manageable...been done before.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Didn't I say that this was the plan to pay back the impossible defecit ?

Inflate until it's manageable...been done before.

Only way out now. Our kids will have a lower standard of living due to the decisions that are, and have been, made for political expediency. And the spending and printing continues...

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: StevieC
This kinds of stuff makes me go:
smirk2.gif

Care to explain?

Do you really need me to?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
This kinds of stuff makes me go:
smirk2.gif

Care to explain?

Do you really need me to?

It would be nice to add something of value to the conversation...

They've been creating the situation where you MUST buy stocks/bonds/risky investments just to tread water for decades now. (keeps the industrialists well-fed.) Only in the last couple of years has it made sense to sit on cash for something cheaper around the corner... and you bet they're working to "fix" that.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They've been creating the situation where you MUST buy stocks/bonds/risky investments just to tread water for decades now. (keeps the industrialists well-fed.) Only in the last couple of years has it made sense to sit on cash for something cheaper around the corner... and you bet they're working to "fix" that.

People said I was nut when my wife and I put all of our 401k in cash, anticipating a bust 3 years ago. They still don't believe me today.

Imagine without the 401k and IRA, how would the value of stock drop? Isn't that artificially inflating the value of stocks?

Last edited:
me too!!! St. Ronald Regan, thank you!!! Deregulators - thanks!!!
Union busters - thanks!!! Globalization and outsourcing to private sector to "reduce costs" - thanks!!! thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Originally Posted By: scoobie
me too!!! St. Ronald Regan, thank you!!! Deregulators - thanks!!!
Union busters - thanks!!! Globalization and outsourcing to private sector to "reduce costs" - thanks!!! thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

How's your medical practice??
crackmeup2.gif

People said I was nut when my wife and I put all of our 401k in cash, anticipating a bust 3 years ago. They still don't believe me today.

Imagine without the 401k and IRA, how would the value of stock drop? Isn't that artificially inflating the value of stocks?

The FED is trying to inflate the value of EVERYTHING with what they are doing. They are just trying to keep the bubble inflated rather than let things bottom, all at the expense of our kids future..

There was a form my software printed out with my taxes I never saw before, believe it's 8880, where I got a 10% credit, eg free money, for putting money in my IRA... on top of knocking my contrib off my AGI. They're very serious about fanning those flames...

I'm planning on negative interest rates, Hence the reason I bought a brand new F150 and financed for 60 months (almost went 72 but couldn't bring myself to do it) Also have a 30 year mortgage.

Now I'm sitting back awaiting hyperinflation. Let those banks squirm when I'm only paying 5%!

I'm socking away metals now, when the inflation hits, those will go through the roof.

and you bet they're working to "fix" that.

Yup. good by dollar.

I'll be interested to see how the "convert us" the NWO currency. Will we turn all of our current dollars in for a set rate or will we just have to start getting paid in new currency as the dollar will be worthless? That's the question
54.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back